A CPO and the Site for the NMH at St.Vincents

bactrian

There are rumours in the press that the Sisters of Charity are prepared to act like "dogs in a manger" . They have the site but will not allow it to be used unless they get a gift of a €300 million building.

There appears to be a widespread agreement among taxpayers in Ireland that gifting €300 million to a private organisation is not acceptable.

Our legislation allows the Compulsory Purchase of Land to "permit public infrastructure projects to go ahead for “the common good”. The building of a New National Maternity Hospital is clearly in "the common good".

The site is "suitable" as it is beside a major hospital. The fact that the site is "suitable" has been accepted by the Sisters of Charity.

AFAIK the "Purchase/Acquisition" can be separated from any dispute over value.

There are procedures to be followed(these are in place to protect against unfair acts by the authorities). Notices have to be published, the owners(Sisters of Charity) must be heard to allow them express objections . Since they have already acknowledged that the site is suitable their objections are unlikely to succeed.

Some may wish that it were not so ,but, the Sisters of Charity are Constitutionally Guaranteed a fair market value/price for their land. If needs be we should pay it.

We need the hospital , but , we the people of Ireland should own it!

Congalltee

Nuns say: trilocate in James's or co-locate in Connolly.
Donnybrook site is not necessary. No CPO. Go to court. Former president of the high court sits on the board. Good luck with that.

Sister Mercedes

SVUH is a run of the mill hospital. There's little argument for colocating anything with it. This collocation frenzy is driven by people with exaggerated opinions of their own importance and expertise

Ulpian

Our legislation allows the Compulsory Purchase of Land to "permit public infrastructure projects to go ahead for “the common good”. The building of a New National Maternity Hospital is clearly in "the common good".
Article 44.6 of the Constitution provides that:

the property of any religious denomination or any educational institution shall not be diverted save for necessary works of public utility and on payment of compensation
I'm not sure that public utility as understood for the purpose of Article 44.6 would encompass building a maternity hospital on the St Vincent's site. I'm even more dubious that the building of the maternity hospital is "necessary".

The government, in particular Simon Harris, f***ed up big time when they turned this issue into another stick with which to beat us Catholics. I am delighted to see them get their come-upppance.

Franzoni

No one got their comeuppance yet...

Hard core Catholics have been shafted now by FF-FG and they have no one else to vote for apart for a few indo's as all the other parties are mainly pro choice/pro SSM etc .. issues that go against Catholic teaching...

Clanrickard

I'm not sure that public utility as understood for the purpose of Article 44.6 would encompass building a maternity hospital on the St Vincent's site. I'm even more dubious that the building of the maternity hospital is "necessary".

The government, in particular Simon Harris, f***ed up big time when they turned this issue into another stick with which to beat us Catholics. I am delighted to see them get their come-upppance.
Also a CPO is not an automatic thing as some seem to think. A court can block it. There must be a damn good reason to use a CPO. Pandering to a hysterical mini mob on social media would not I think satisfy a judge.

Merovingian

SVUH is a run of the mill hospital. There's little argument for colocating anything with it. This collocation frenzy is driven by people with exaggerated opinions of their own importance and expertise
Methinks if you were seizing uncontrollably from eclampsia you'd have a different opinion. Experts!....what do they know...Go Brexit, Go Trump...

Congalltee

Why not CPO Denis O'Brien's Beacon hospital site? Why choose one private land owner over another?

nakatomi

Methinks if you were seizing uncontrollably from eclampsia you'd have a different opinion. Experts!....what do they know...Go Brexit, Go Trump...
Amazing how our maternal mortality is so low without having any trilocated hospitals in Dublin.:roll:

Sister Mercedes

And you reckon that the doctors in a maternity hospital are not the best people to treat a maternity illness? Hand it over to the SVUH dermatologists ...

bactrian

Article 44.6 states "The property of any religious denomination or any educational institution shall not be diverted save for necessary works of public utility and on payment of compensation."

Which part of "works of public utility " criterion does the NMH not meet?

Old Mr Grouser

... Our legislation allows the Compulsory Purchase of Land to "permit public infrastructure projects to go ahead for “the common good”. The building of a New National Maternity Hospital is clearly in "the common good".

the property of any religious denomination or any educational institution shall not be diverted save for necessary works of public utility and on payment of compensation

You're right.

The Sisters must be paid the full value of the land.

But in parallel with that all Religous organisations must start paying full Business property rate taxes.

Last edited:

wombat

And you reckon that the doctors in a maternity hospital are not the best people to treat a maternity illness? Hand it over to the SVUH dermatologists ...
A friend of mine had a knee replacement done in Beaumont. I went to visit him in a crowded public ward. I wondered why he didn't go private, its the kind of operation you can get done privately through insurance. He'd had a stroke previously and the medics wanted to take no chances in case of complications. Sometimes doctors know best.

GDPR

You are getting this; the reason the fuss was created is because the Blue Shirts decided that actually they didn't want to build the hospital.

bactrian

You are getting this; the reason the fuss was created is because the Blue Shirts decided that actually they didn't want to build the hospital.
I just love conspiracy theories. You don't need facts, you don't need evidence you just suggest suspicion.

Gin Soaked

I think this was a **** up of epic, still unquantifiable proportions.

Not deliberate. Just stupid.

CPO could mean a Maternity hospital which does not get to use the car park or transfer patients to vincents public.

Presume the Nuns still have a say there.

And this all is a diversion from the 1bn. Children's hospital...

1bn.....

Sister Mercedes

I think this was a **** up of epic, still unquantifiable proportions.

Not deliberate. Just stupid.

CPO could mean a Maternity hospital which does not get to use the car park or transfer patients to vincents public.

Presume the Nuns still have a say there.

And this all is a diversion from the 1bn. Children's hospital...

1bn.....
I doubt the nuns will turn down a few thousand more cars at 3 euro an hour.

New Threads

Most Replies