• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

A Cruel and Outdated Spectacle

Lonewolfe

A fresh appeal has been made by animal welfare groups to the Spanish parliament to reject an initiative to protect bullfighting as a national cultural pastime in Spain.

Bulls are commonly deprived of food and water for days prior to a "fight", and before entering the ring, they can have the tips of their horns shaved off and petroleum jelly smeared into their eyes to blur their vision, animal welfare group PETA revealed.

Once in the ring, a bull is repeatedly stabbed by a variety of spears, spikes and daggers, causing tremendous pain and blood loss until the matador finally drives a sword into the exhausted animal.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/398271/End-this-cruel-and-outdated-spectacle-Fresh-appeal-to-end-bullfighting-in-Spain

It really is hard to believe that this horrific "sport" is allowed in any civilised country, much less that people actually pay money to witness the barbaric, torturous slaughter of an innocent animal.

Ren84

Utterly barbaric, such "sport" has no place in a modern society. Of course we can't talk given our own bloodlust for cruelty to animals like fox huntimg , coursing, along with illegal activities like dog fighting.

The OD

It's says an awful lot about someone if they derive pleasure from another creatures suffering and death.

Lonewolfe

Utterly barbaric, such "sport" has no place in a modern society. Of course we can't talk given our own bloodlust for cruelty to animals like fox huntimg , coursing, along with illegal activities like dog fighting.
I agree completely Ren. The sooner we outlaw fox hunting the better, it's almost as bad as bull "fighting".

BASTARD:

LEGEND:

D

Dylan2010

It's says an awful lot about someone if they derive pleasure from another creatures suffering and death.
do you have any data to back that up? are Spanish people above average violent in Europe? And like a boxing match, is your focus on the blood or the "art" of the sportsman/entertainer?

I didnt know the bull was so hampered though , if its a legitimate contest the bull should be given every opportunity to issue Darwin awards :p

I agree completely Ren. The sooner we outlaw fox hunting the better, it's almost as bad as bull "fighting".

BASTARD:

LEGEND:
Ah, but the tourism and the lost jobs, and, errr, won't anyone think of the chickens?

do you have any data to back that up? are Spanish people above average violent in Europe? And like a boxing match, is your focus on the blood or the "art" of the sportsman/entertainer?

I didnt know the bull was so hampered though , if its a legitimate contest the bull should be given every opportunity to issue Darwin awards :p
Both boxers know what they're doing and accept the risks voluntarily.

ellie08

I suppose you could ask the Aztecs but the Spanish wiped them out!

Ren84

Looks like he linked a preview rather than the actual image.
Yeah, I wish Lonewolfe had left the post alone now that I see that horrific image. How about we hunted some of these sick fukks who get some sort of perverted pleasure out of killing animals? Cu.nts!

between the bridges

Only been once, bit of spectacle probably not for the squeamish, but having slaughtered livestock can't say it bothered me much. Anyone who isn't a vegetarian cant really throw stones at the animal cruelty glasshouse...

Lonewolfe

There is no "art" and nothing to admire. All the odds are against the bull and in favour of the man.

Even if it were a "fair fight" it would still be cruelty as it is completely unnecessary violence for no other purpose than entertainment.

It's sick!

b.a. baracus

I visited the bullfighting ring and museum in Seville while I was there. A lovely place by the way. There was no bullfighting on that day.

Anyway to play the devil's advocate the guide was asked the very question about how such barbarity could be permitted. Her propaganda response was that bullfighting bulls live for 3 years in the best conditions, living mainly in the open on grass and being fed the best food. They only fight once in their lives. The bulls you eat live for 12-18 months, often only in cramped dank indoor slatted sheds. Which would you prefer?

Ren84

That's a bollox argument. Boxers fight of their own free will. Foxes, bulls, dogs and other animals don't have that choice.

Ren84

Only been once, bit of spectacle probably not for the squeamish, but having slaughtered livestock can't say it bothered me much. Anyone who isn't a vegetarian cant really throw stones at the animal cruelty glasshouse...
Animals killed for food are usually done humanely, with as little suffering as possible. A completely different situation to animal blood sports.

Lonewolfe

Well they can in fact. In general, framers in Ireland take such great care of their live stock. Cattle in this country live largely unimpeded lives up t the day of slaughter. There really is no comparison.

Lonewolfe

I visited the bullfighting ring and museum in Seville while I was there. A lovely place by the way. There was no bullfighting on that day.

Anyway to play the devil's advocate the guide was asked the very question about how such barbarity could be permitted. Her propaganda response was that bullfighting bulls live for 3 years in the best conditions, living mainly in the open on grass and being fed the best food. They only fight once in their lives. The bulls you eat live for 12-18 months, often only in cramped dank indoor slatted sheds. Which would you prefer?
The beef burgers we eat come form cattle that have lived short lives but they are free to graze and are well taken care of.

Maybe in Spain they do take care of the bull pre-fight (I really doubt it though) but this doesn't change the barbarity of how the bull is killed.

Mountaintop

You , a p.ie veteran, didn't recognise 'whataboutery' in a real life context?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies