A Fairly Psychotic Choice for You

General Urko

An sort of psychotic one ocurred to me, if you had a choice between the following horrible things which would you choose to happen and why?

1 A virus would be unleashed to stop the reproductive capacity of all dogs throughout the world thus making the current living dogs the very last dogs in the world.

or

2 A particular language will die as a spoken language once it's last currently living fluent speaker dies, making it deader than latin (of which there are probably still fluent speakers) or Sanskrit! Oh and by the way the language is Irish!

I literally couldn't pick between these ones - The General's Choice!

I don't get on with dogs, they are the only non insect ever to have bitten me (a nax lactating Greyhound!) or jumped for my throat (an alsation when I was 5!) However They have helped tens of thousands of people and even directly saved lives! If the choice was on cats, it would be even tougher for me, because, I actually like them!

My stance on languages is that while anybody could write any aul shyte in a book, languages are absolutely sacred and you cannot eliminate a language without also eliminating a culture, it so moulds a people and is so moulded by a people!
Indeed The Britz tried to destroy ours and there are other examples e.g. The Russians trying to destroy Lithuanian or Franco with Regional Iberian Languages!

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
Keep the dogs, and try to speed up evolution and teach them a new generic language similar to Esperanto :rolleyes:

General Urko

BTW if you have any similar psychotic choices to offer, I would be glad to hear them within reason!:rolleyes:

Socratus O' Pericles

If I pm you will you send me a baggie?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Solution. All greyhounds should be expected to have at least a cupla focal and the Greyhound Racing Board should be immediately tasked with arranging suitable kennelling in the Gaeltacht for all pups up to 18months.

There should be an official stationed at the traps at each race ready to shout 'Amach!' at said canine gaelgoiri when the gates go up.

It is said that Master McGrath was well able to carry on a conversation in Irish with the dog over his right shoulder when coming around the final bend and there are those who claim they heard him wish his competitors a pleasant evening in the very best Leinster Irish as he lengthened out his stride for the line.

Polly Ticks

A little kid once asked me whether I preferred pizza or Pikachu.

I didn't understand the question, so I just sat there in silence, baffled by the complexity of the problem.

Hope this helps.

Rural

Language is just a means of communication, I suppose the grunt of the caveman is a language which is lost (except to teenagers), I wouldn't be too bothered with languages as long as we can still communicate.

But dogs, well I have found that dogs make better people than most people do.

Socratus O' Pericles

If ya don't give a rat's ass does that count?

McSlaggart

An sort of psychotic one ocurred to me, if you had a choice between the following horrible things which would you choose to happen and why?

1 A virus would be unleashed to stop the reproductive capacity of all dogs throughout the world thus making the current living dogs the very last dogs in the world.

or

2 A particular language will die as a spoken language once it's last currently living fluent speaker dies, making it deader than latin (of which there are probably still fluent speakers) or Sanskrit! Oh and by the way the language is Irish!

I don't get on with dogs, they are the only non insect ever to have bitten me (a nax lactating Greyhound!) or jumped for my throat (an alsation when I was 5!) However They have helped tens of thousands of people and even directly saved lives! If the choice was on cats, it would be even tougher for me, because, I actually like them!

My stance on languages is that while anybody could write any aul shyte in a book, languages are absolutely sacred and you cannot eliminate a language without also eliminating a culture, it so moulds a people and is so moulded by a people!
Indeed The Britz tried to destroy ours and there are other examples e.g. The Russians trying to destroy Lithuanian or Franco with Regional Iberian Languages!

Not a big fan of Dogs.

EUrJokingMeRight

Erm...all dogs speak Irish anyway, just so you know.

EUrJokingMeRight

Here's an Irish dog looking over his owners shoulder for sasanachs.

RodShaft

or

The last native speaker of Irish has yet to be born...

General Urko

Language is just a means of communication, I suppose the grunt of the caveman is a language which is lost (except to teenagers), I wouldn't be too bothered with languages as long as we can still communicate.

But dogs, well I have found that dogs make better people than most people do.
Language is vastly more significant than just that!

General Urko

It moulds a peoples' perception of their world. The loss of a language is invariably the biggest cultural loss to a people possible! Why do you think imperialists always try destroy the Native language where they are acting the bollex?

Rural

It moulds a peoples' perception of their world. The loss of a language is invariably the biggest cultural loss to a people possible! Why do you think imperialists always try destroy the Native language where they are acting the bollex?
I thought you were talking about language in general, not The Irish Language in particular, but anyway.

The biggest enemies to the Irish language nowadays, are those who can speak it and constantly correct those of us who try to speak it, I have given up anyway.

General Urko

I thought you were talking about language in general, not The Irish Language in particular, but anyway.

The biggest enemies to the Irish language nowadays, are those who can speak it and constantly correct those of us who try to speak it, I have given up anyway.
Actually that sort of thing is particularily noticeable in Connemarra, well more trying to keep it as their own secret language!
The biggest threat to the language in modern times has always been that portion of fluent speakers who are stomach churning fooking redknecks!

New Threads

Most Replies