A favorable viewpoint on the 8th Amerndment

parentheses

So Ross Douthat of the New York Times has written an article taking a more favourable view of the 8th Amendment. Douthat makes the observation that Ireland tends to lag behind the rest of the western world in political and social developments. For example, the sexual and social revolution came late to Ireland. And he says Irish politics reflect a comfortable consensus, something which was last seen in England or America in the 1990s. Now the Irish establishment want to bring Irish abortion law into line with the rest of the western nations.

His comments on the 8th Amendment are favourable
it would put an end to an all-but-unique experiment in Western public policy: an attempt to combine explicitly pro-life laws and generally pro-family policy making with a liberalized modern economy and the encouragement of female independence and advancement.
On the one hand, it demonstrates the unsurprising truth that pro-life laws reduce abortion rates. Irish women do obtain abortions, traveling to the United Kingdom or using chemical abortifacients. But even an expansive estimate for the Irish abortion rate places it lower than most comparable European countries — and at about a third the rate of England and less than half of the United States.

This low abortion rate coexists with other indicators that social conservatives tend to cheer: one of the highest birthrates of any European country, at 1.92 births per woman compared to the 1.58 fertility rate for the European Union as a whole; a low out-of-wedlock birthrate compared with the United Kingdom and other Western European nations; the lowest divorce rate in Western Europe.
Douthat claims Irish people should not throw away lightly constitutional protection for the unborn. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/19/opinion/sunday/ireland-abortion-amendment.html

sadmal

So Ross Douthat of the New York Times has written an article taking a more favourable view of the 8th Amendment. Douthat makes the observation that Ireland tends to lag behind the rest of the western world in political and social developments. For example, the sexual and social revolution came late to Ireland. And he says Irish politics reflect a comfortable consensus, something which was last seen in England or America in the 1990s. Now the Irish establishment want to bring Irish abortion law into line with the rest of the western nations.

Douthat claims Irish people should not throw away lightly constitutional protection for the unborn. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/19/opinion/sunday/ireland-abortion-amendment.html
I don't know where he gets the low out-of-wedlock births when he compares it with the other countries in Western Europe.

I thought we were just behind the UK

Orbit v2

Repealing the 8th might not be inconsistent with his favourable view of the present situation. Just like the anti-divorce lobby wrongly predicted "hello divorce, goodbye daddy", I see no reason why our low abortion rate, should increase particularly, just because abortion will be available here rather than requiring a trip overseas (or by risky self-medication).

robra

Repealing the 8th might not be inconsistent with his favourable view of the present situation. Just like the anti-divorce lobby wrongly predicted "hello divorce, goodbye daddy", I see no reason why our low abortion rate, should increase particularly, just because abortion will be available here rather than requiring a trip overseas (or by risky self-medication).
"Increase particularly" What does that mean? Increase greatly?
Surely when abortion becomes more accessible to Irish Women then it's almost certainly going to increase, it's just a question of by how much.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The Douthat family- a grand bunch of lads. Pentecostalists who converted 'en famille' to catholicism some years ago.

Guess that must qualify him as one of those raging secularists demanding the 8th be retained ;)

Orbit v2

"Increase particularly" What does that mean? Increase greatly?
Surely when abortion becomes more accessible to Irish Women then it's almost certainly going to increase, it's just a question of by how much.
If the women who would have procured an abortion illegally by self-medicating, or gone to the UK (legally) are in the future availing of those services here, then I wouldn't consider that as an increased rate of abortion among Irish women. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that additional abortions would occur, just because the services will be easier to obtain. I mean it's not actually that hard today to get abortion pills over the internet.

Herr Rommel

The Douthat family- a grand bunch of lads. Pentecostalists who converted 'en famille' to catholicism some years ago.

Guess that must qualify him as one of those raging secularists demanding the 8th be retained ;)
I know people who suffered horrible abuse at the hands of clergymen who have less hate for the RCC than yourself.

GDPR

Who gives a f*uck what some Yank thinks?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Ross Douthat, author of a book called 'How we all became heretics', wasn't it? Do you know anyone in the modern world besides nutty xtians and equally nutty Islamists who use the term 'heretic' in the modern age?

Herr Rommel

Ross Douthat, author of a book called 'How we all became heretics', wasn't it? Do you know anyone in the modern world besides nutty xtians and equally nutty Islamists who use the term 'heretic' in the modern age?
We are all heretics in the eyes of those loons.

GDPR

People who care more than what you think for starters.
Oh yes Douthats name is on everyones lips?

You even heard about him before this thread?

I remember when you nearly wet yourself because I informed you racists like you ARE on some govt watch list. You started telling me you used a VPN.

It was so funny.

amist4

Almost as nutty as a male spending night and day on a obscure forum baying for abortion.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies