A few observations about Germany

EvotingMachine0197

When the Germans had a bit of a slow period during the decade (2002-2003) we had a corresponding decrease in ECB interest rates , faling to 1% in June 2003.

This was around the time that Ireland would have been better served to have a higher price on credit, yet the rate stayed at 1% for over 2 years.
Not until December 2005, when M3 money growth was already stupidly high, did we see a rate increase. Then we saw nine increases in 2 years.

In terms of monetary policy, it was fine for Germany, all wrong for us.

These days, with Greece, Ireland and maybe the Iberians in debt crisis, the Euro is falling aginst both Yen and to a less and more volatile extent the Dollar

With the Euro being weaker it seems their economy, particularly their exports , are doing just fine, while we are facing unpayable indebtedness.

Then they help arrange our unpayable indebtedness.

Funny that.

Éireann go Brách

Lowest birth rate in the world they are failing to produce children
while they party thus putting the whole of the EU demographic future at risk

even Merkel has failed to reproduce and they made her PM

I know nothing about interest rates so i cannot comment on OP

Monday Monday

They don't put traffic lights on their roundabouts.

That's why they are where they are, and we are where we are.

asknoquestions

wehn you look at the size of the euro-zone economy, Ireland's economy is little more than a rounding error. Pass the mayonnaise...

asknoquestions

oh yea, and they call mayonnaise "mayo" for short.
Bitte geben Sie mir die Mayo...
(It's pronounced my o.)

joenitka

I learnt some of the German Language watching German movies...

Heres a sample...

"OHH YAH TAT IS GUD"

"OH SHI..ZA MINE VUNDARBAR... OH YAH"

"UNT MINE GOT.. THAIISSSHH VUNDABAR"

Vote_No_on_Everything

Most of their engines are very well designed & machined, VW, Merc, Audi, Bmw.

borntorum

Currywurst is the finest fast snack food in the world.

"n order to meet its vast new commitments [to Eastern Germany after unification] the Federal Republic - which had hitherto run substantial current account surpluses - had no choice but to go into deficit. The Bundesbank, aghast at the inflationary impact of such a policy, accordingly began steadily to raise interest rates, starting in 1991 - at precisely the moment when the Deutschmark was being locked for ever into a planned European currency. The knock-on effect of these interest rates - increased unemployment and slower economic growth - would be felt not just in Germany but throughout the European Monetary System. In effect, Helmut Kohl exported the cost of his country's unification and Germany's European partners were made to share the burden." (Postwar: A History of Europe Since 1945, Tony Judt, p. 643)

Who'd have thunk it?

galleyslave

I quite like germany. great place for cheap eats. mighty beer. gorgeous gals. some dodgy haircuts among the lads though... yo gotta admire a country where they serve beer by the litre..

cul de sac

Was speaking to a British guy who has settled in Germany. He is German essentially. When I asked him about Merkel's attitude to Ireland he said we are so small she considers us an irritation. He said in relation to her quote about bank bondholders taking a hit that she was "polishing her panzers". We know who paying for Europe now and in the future.

borntorum

Was speaking to a British guy who has settled in Germany. He is German essentially. When I asked him about Merkel's attitude to Ireland he said we are so small she considers us an irritation. He said in relation to her quote about bank bondholders taking a hit that she was "polishing her panzers". We know who paying for Europe now and in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoLIU2NI66w

Serindipity

I have it on good authority that it was all Fegeleins idea.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies