A General Election in 2010 is 10/1 with Paddy Power - worth a bet?

bobbysands81

Given that FF/Greens are about to be lynched by the public will they go in advance of the Budget thus meaning a General Election this year?

Why exactly are the Greens hanging in at the moment? Time to cut and run.

TonyBird

10 to 1 ? I like them odds . Lets put 15 billion on it , then kill a few FFers .
All our problems solved .
What do you think about that , oggy ?

Mikeoc

The Greens are hanging in for as long as they can because they know this is their first and last time in power. After the next election, they will be extinct as a political party. Had they stayed in opposition, they could now hold the moral high ground. But they have proved themselves to be no better than gombeens like Healy Rae and Lowry. They will go down with this rotten "government", all expenses, pensions and perks paid.

UnityNua

Website
www.unitynua.ie
Another political comment site started a thread called "Possibility of a Coup", this site seems so much politer.

The funny thing is there is no talk of a coup.

I don't believe an election will fix our problems.

The next election frightens me - I don't want the same old choices which have failed us for the past decade - and what will happen when the voters pile into the darkness of the polling booth:

Who will I vote for?
Rainbow coalition - Greatest national crisis in 80 years, they are very inexperienced and don't convince they will provide economic recovery.
FF & some other party - that has been a huge failure over the past decade.
Independent/fringe small party/radical new - are they going to save us from chaos, no they won't, they have been part of the problem already (PD, Greens, bought off independents).

So, the theory that no one will vote for FF & some other party may not turn out to be as true as expected, after the hail of insults and fear of an election campaign.
Probably FG/LB/?? would win the election, maybe, with a big majority, maybe not. But hoping things will work out well has not helped our cause in the past.

I believe we need a new choice, not more of the same. Give the people the right to vote in a national plebiscite (opinion vote, not legal referendum) to choose:

A Government of National Unity (the best of what we have), a time table for political reform (not just a discuss in theory about reforms), and some way of dealing with budget cuts in a creative manner.

Socratus O' Pericles

No I don't think so I but I have given Paddy Power a substatial wodge of money over the years. (i'm backing Everton for away win on Monday night as my weekend soccer bet) really I think the numbers will hold together until after christmas -we are on about 975 of the death by a thoussand cuts rather than 999 and then ther are logistical problems in having an Xmas GE.

SKELLY

afaik the election is 4 weeks after its called, so budget fails on the 8th and election in January 2011.
So go ahead a waste ur money on this, its not gonna happen.

dublincitizen

@UnityNua

At this stage a general election shouldn't be about an 'alternative', because at this stage there is no going back, and even Labour and Fine Gael have conceded that. It should about holding Fianna Fáil and the Greens to account for what they've done to our country, and their complete contempt for the Irish people.

So more than likely a FG/Lab coalition wouldn't do things much differently, but thats because they can't. But at least we'd have a government with a mandate to handle this crisis and one that has some credability.

Iarmhi Gael

I'm of the opinion that this government will last the full term - 2012.

A Majority is a majority is a majority. The longer they stay in now - probably the better for FF. Its the only positive they have going

(And I say this after a few substanial bets on a 2011 already placed)

ocoonassa

Another political comment site started a thread called "Possibility of a Coup", this site seems so much politer.

The funny thing is there is no talk of a coup.

Oh how wrong you were, look here

The coup is on Budget Day at Leinster House, lots of people are calling for it, best to show up just in case we'd miss history in the making I reckon.

scallioneater

I'm of the opinion that this government will last the full term - 2012.

A Majority is a majority is a majority. The longer they stay in now - probably the better for FF. Its the only positive they have going

(And I say this after a few substanial bets on a 2011 already placed)
And you should have won if there was one shred of decency left in the irish political system.

Congalltee

I took that bet at 12/1. It fell to 6/1 and then 10/3 on the day of the Doherty High court win. But we are now running out of days.

UnityNua

Website
www.unitynua.ie
The "Could a coup occur here" is something - but a coup for what end?

The ICTU are marching next Saturday at 12pm from Wood Quay, they are putting forward proposals for the budget – though this seems to deny the reality of our insolvent state (who own the banks), we need to start listening to people suffering real pain and distress, due to the budget cuts.

Many people believe one politician is as bad as another and do not believe in any political party, so will support no political cause.

But if you don't get involved in the political process, somehow, someone else will end up making the decisions on your behalf.

We are in an impossible position -
the Government has lost credibility but need to be supported as they "fight our corner" with EU/IMF on austerity measures
a election is needed, but not now, as this would destabilise management of the crisis
the future is being negotiation
We can keep FF/Greens/PD in power and reward failure, but hoping inexperience of FG/LB may not be good enough to dig us out of such a big hole
There are no easy or good decisions to make, but inaction is not an option either

Let's cut through these "we couldn't possibly" and talk about a plan to move forward.

I believe a Government of National Unity (GNU) is needed now, it would at least give us access to the best political talent we have at the moment. It would allow inexperienced to gain experience and know the details of the current talks with EU/IMF. We could agree that a national election should be held in the next six months.

After an election, a GNU would have shared responsibility for making a recovery plan work. A program of political reform could be introduced, so that a reformed and renewed political system is ready for the following election.

oggy

have a lot of money on 2012 election. Must check to se if I can put a few more bob with all the hullaballoo this week I should get a far better price.

sport02

have a lot of money on 2012 election. Must check to se if I can put a few more bob with all the hullaballoo this week I should get a far better price.
Do you have even more on a 2011 election to recoup any losses made on the 2012 prediction?

chrisman

A fool and his money are soon parted:lol:

nuj

I'll add 5 points to the bookies' price, any size you want.

UnityNua

Website
www.unitynua.ie
You can not have the IMF bail out the country and than claim you are doing a good job.

The only reason not to have an election in 2011 is the fear of FF in holding one.

Is Oggy a financial advisor to the Government, he seems to show some of that talent?

If there is not an election in 2011, it will be time to look into arms shipments for the "volunteers".

Last edited:

nuj

Ah hell, Oggy, you had your chance. I was looking forward to spending my winnings.

New Threads

Most Replies