A Genius Dies

mr_anderson

Maryam Mirzakhani, the first woman to receive the prestigious Fields Medal for mathematics, has died in the US.

The 40-year-old Iranian, a professor at Stanford University, had breast cancer which had spread to her bones.
Nicknamed the "Nobel Prize for Mathematics", the Fields Medal is only awarded every four years to between two and four mathematicians under 40.
It was given to Prof Mirzakhani in 2014 for her work on complex geometry and dynamical systems.

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said Prof Mirzakhani's death caused "great sorrow," state media reported.
Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said her death was a cause for grief for all Iranians.
"A light was turned off today. It breaks my heart... gone far too soon," US-Iranian scientist Firouz Naderi posted on Instagram
Maryam Mirzakhani, first woman to win maths' Fields Medal, dies - BBC News

Very sad news.
And so young too.

Anyone with a fleeting interest in Mathematics or Science will have heard of Maryam Mirzakhani.
She was not only the first, but also the only woman, to have ever won the Fields Medal.

The world is worse off without her.
This is a genuine loss to Mathematics.

[video=youtube;4GhbMhQLQ_g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GhbMhQLQ_g[/video]

ottovonbismarck

Sad to hear. A lovely opening post but I think you should close the thread. You know what this place is like.

RIP

Peppermint

Sadly I'd never heard of the woman, until now!

Hopefully her legacy will be for the more medieval parts of the middle east, women are worth educating, look what they can achieve..

jpc

Sadly I'd never heard of the woman, until now!

Hopefully her legacy will be for the more medieval parts of the middle east, women are worth educating, look what they can achieve..
A mind is a mind.
It's irrelevant whether it is contained in the body of a male or a female.
That reality is still beyond the grasp of many.
RIP to a great person and mind.

The Field Marshal

A mind is a mind.
It's irrelevant whether it is contained in the body of a male or a female.
That reality is still beyond the grasp of many.
RIP to a great person and mind.
Irrelevant to the sexless.

blinding

The people that I respect most in the world are Physicists and Mathematicians....

I am saddened to hear of the loss of a great Mathematician at such a young age.....

RIP .

The Field Marshal

The people that I respect most in the world are Physicists and Mathematicians....

I am saddened to hear of the loss of a great Mathematician at such a young age.....

RIP .
Well those people you respect so much gave humanity the Atomic Bomb.

I think your ordinary Joe Soap GP probably does more good in an average lifetime than any "physicist" or "mathematician.".

Not that I don't admire gifted people in those categories but get a grip.

PeacefulViking

Very sad. I don't think anything had been said about her having cancer before. From her interviews she seemed like she put a high premium on her privacy.

firefly123

I think your ordinary Joe Soap GP probably does more good in an average lifetime than any "physicist" or "mathematician.".

people like her are the reason your audience is more than your ma and whoever would be unfortunate to accidently sit beside you in the local on a Wednesday afternoon.

Spirit Of Newgrange

Politicians gave us the atom bomb. Mathematicians are like the taxi driver doing as they are instructed. NUCLEAR physics has also greatly benefitted medicine,

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
A Brilliant mind taken far too early and deepest sympathy to her family and friends.

razorblade

Well i didnt even know who she was but she seems to have been an inspiration to many RIP.

Sister Mercedes

No Irish winners of the Fields Medal, no surprise with the disregard the Irish Establishment have for maths and science.

This Russian mathematician is the only person to decline the Fields Medal. He also declined another award that would have come with a million dollars.

In August 2006, Perelman was offered the Fields Medal for "his contributions to geometry and his revolutionary insights into the analytical and geometric structure of the Ricci flow", but he declined to accept the award, stating: "I'm not interested in money or fame; I don't want to be on display like an animal in a zoo."

On 22 December 2006, the scientific journal Science recognized Perelman's proof of the Poincaré conjecture as the scientific "Breakthrough of the Year", the first such recognition in the area of mathematics.

On 18 March 2010, it was announced that he had met the criteria to receive the first Clay Millennium Prize for resolution of the Poincaré conjecture. On 1 July 2010, he turned down the prize of one million dollars, saying that he considered the decision of the board of CMI and the award very unfair and that his contribution to solving the Poincaré conjecture was no greater than that of Richard S. Hamilton, the mathematician who pioneered the Ricci flow with the aim of attacking the conjecture. He also turned down the prestigious prize of the European Mathematical Society.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grigori_Perelman

New Threads

Most Replies