A Genius Dies

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
Strange, I was expecting Gender Quota Ger, and Bead Rattling Ripley to turn this one into a feminist tirade.

Anyway, I think the worst thing about yer wan's death is her age. 40 is nothing.

Lovely looking woman btw.
At least you did not do a Trump, and say she was in great shape.......................:rolleyes:

ger12

Strange, I was expecting Gender Quota Ger, and Bead Rattling Ripley to turn this one into a feminist tirade.

Anyway, I think the worst thing about yer wan's death is her age. 40 is nothing.

Nah, that would be distasteful, kinda like your posts on this thread.

Her achievements were not "towering", and she received supported from male mathematicians (including Gauss - now we're talking towering).

Go and have a glass of milk and and a jam sandwich Des.
Ooh, she collaborated with others! Many of them were unaware of her sex and shocked when that was revealed. She won awards and has an award named after her.

D

Deleted member 45466

Ooh, she collaborated with others! Many of them were unaware of her sex and shocked when that was revealed. She won awards and has an award named after her.
That doesn't make her a towering genius.

Methinks you're hysterical.

D

Deleted member 45466

Nice. You cite one side of the controversy. It's fair to say that I didn't refer to it at all, but it is also fair to say that there is evidence that she had written algorithms and doubly fair to say that she saw beyond the limited vision of what Babbage was doing and predicted a far greater flexibility and potential for the differential engine.
There is no controversy. She corresponded with Babbage and made a few suggestions. But the claim that she invented the algorithm is incorrect. That was subsequently changed to "computer algorithm", and that is also wrong.

I'm sorry, but did you say that Babbage's vision was limited? Are you going to link to another feminist inspired wiki article to "prove" your point.

Go and have that jam sandwich Des, and calm down.

ger12

There is no controversy. She corresponded with Babbage and made a few suggestions. But the claim that she invented the algorithm is incorrect. That was subsequently changed to "computer algorithm", and that is also wrong.

I'm sorry, but did you say that Babbage's vision was limited? Are you going to link to another feminist inspired wiki article to "prove" your point.

Go and have that jam sandwich Des, and calm down.
There is quite a big degree of controversy. You quoted from one side of it.

Regarding Germain, if you've studied number theory you'll realise the level of her achievement. Some of her work is still used in fields which didn't exist in her lifetime - and her work has application in such things as skyscraper construction to this day. "Towering" is apt.

Telstar 62

In reporting her death, the Iranian scum superimposed a hijab
on her head - something she never wore.

One of the reasons she got out of the Shia clerical sh it hole, in
the first place.

Still, the Iranian Islamic Republic has a fanbase on this website, all
the same......

Levellers

the first place.

the same......
Usual lies. You shouldn't believe everything Radio Free (sic) Europe says.

Iranian newspapers.

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/287e0e81ad1f9a456960b8237fe1aefad7da37b1/0_278_4880_2927/master/4880.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&

Iranian President announcing news of her death.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 45466

There is quite a big degree of controversy. You quoted from one side of it.

Regarding Germain, if you've studied number theory you'll realise the level of her achievement. Some of her work is still used in fields which didn't exist in her lifetime - and her work has application in such things as skyscraper construction to this day. "Towering" is apt.

Towering genius applies to someone like Gauss, Cauchy, Newton, Abel etc. Cauchy, for example, created a branch of mathematics called Complex Analysis. With his seminal magnum opus Disquisitiones Arithmeticae, Gauss bequeath us modern number theory.

Sophie Germain, Ada Lovelace are not in the same league.

Genius is something that's bandied about these days like confetti. Neither Germain or Lovelace qualify as geniuses. They did not play an enormous role in the development of mathematics. Yes, they contributed to its progress, which puts them in esteemed company, but they weren't hugely influential. I'd have serious reservations about Lovelace's contributing anything at all.

Telstar 62

Ellen Ripley

Any chance of you being a cúnt to my face on a thread I might actually be posting on?
That'd be peachy, and I can assure you of my full attention there.

PeacefulViking

the first place.

the same......
Some Iranian newspapers did show her without a hijab, as did the Iranian president on his Instagram account. I am also not sure how you know that the hijab rules were a reason for her to leave Iran.

parentheses

the first place.

the same......

Don,t be getting triggered by little things, Telstar.

Otherwise you will have a complete breakdown when something big happens, like Jeremy Corbyn becoming PM.

Towering genius applies to someone like Gauss, Cauchy, Newton, Abel etc. Cauchy, for example, created a branch of mathematics called Complex Analysis. With his seminal magnum opus Disquisitiones Arithmeticae, Gauss bequeath us modern number theory.

Sophie Germain, Ada Lovelace are not in the same league.

Genius is something that's bandied about these days like confetti. Neither Germain or Lovelace qualify as geniuses. They did not play an enormous role in the development of mathematics. Yes, they contributed to its progress, which puts them in esteemed company, but they weren't hugely influential. I'd have serious reservations about Lovelace's contributing anything at all.
I'll settle for the opinion of my contemporaries in the field of number theory, which was my first field of study and remains theirs.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies