• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

A good deal for the Irish in immigration reform deal.

NYCKY

Recently a bipartisan group of Senators with broad diversity in terms of seniority and geography (known as the Gang of Eight) reached agreement on comprehensive immigration reform. The agreement is an 844 page bill, that I doubt many have read but buried on P. 734 is a deal to add Ireland to Australia in receiving an allotment of E-3 Visas. Senator Schumer (NY-D) had a provision inserted that would give Ireland up to an annual 10,500 visas, that would require the equivalent of a high school education or two years of training within the last 5 years.

Schumer said that the provision would right 1965 law that ended bias in Latin America, Asian and African immigrants but inadvertently made it difficult for Irish to obtain visas despite their strong cultural ties to the US.

The bill, as one might expect, is loaded with goodies for the state of the various Gang of Eight, Michael Bennett of Colorado got visas for more ski resort staff, Lindsey Graham of South Carolina got more visas for the meat industry (big in his state) and Marco Rubio is getting help for the cruise industry, big in Florida.

Pork fat adds to weight of immigration bill - Richmond Community Issues | Examiner.com

Of course not everyone is pleased

Dinkar Jain: Senator Schumer: Why Pork Up the Immigration Bill?

It is disillusioning when senators of the stature of Mr. Charles Schumer (D-NY) resort to wrongheaded, discriminatory, and questionable policy for the sake of narrow political interests even in safe Senate seats (in this case the senator is proposing a special Ireland E-3 VISA to appease the Irish lobby in New York).
Currently, the E-3 visa is only available (many argue unfairly) to Australians.Is this what we need in the U.S. at a time of excessive unemployment -- high school graduates or less from Ireland?

As per the bill, it only applied to the Republic of Ireland. Previously, Northern Ireland was carved out of the UK for the purposes of the visa applications. Details on P. 734

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-113s744is/pdf/BILLS-113s744is.pdf

Australia got this deal some years ago, but it was an easier to pass, as the fact that Australia had supported the US in every war was used to sell the deal to a skeptical Congress.

If the deal gets nitpicked, the whole thing could unravel. Let’s hope it gets passed and not just for the Irish.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
I fear for any meaningful immigration reform in the wake of the Boston bombings.

NYCKY

I fear for any meaningful immigration reform in the wake of the Boston bombings.
I don't think that will derail it, it might delay it with extra security related amendments etc but the deal was cobbled together by a diverse array of Senators designed for maximum cover. The group includes the numbers 2 and 3 Democratic Senators, a Hispanic Democrat and Hispanic Republican, the two Arizona Senators etc

I think the Boston bombing will do more harm to gun control measures but that is already covered on another thread.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
E3 is popular here and makes it a cinch to move to the states... All you need is a job offer that requires a degree, or x years of experience. It was added as part of the Free Trade Agreement negociated between Aus and the USA back in the early noughties. And yes, being a military ally helps too.

NewDawn1

eoghanacht

E3 is popular here and makes it a cinch to move to the states... All you need is a job offer that requires a degree, or x years of experience. It was added as part of the Free Trade Agreement negociated between Aus and the USA back in the early noughties. And yes, being a military ally helps too.
Irishmen fought and died since the countries inception right up until their civil war.

Fritzbox

If American immigration policy was ever influenced by the behaviour of any of its immigrant minorities, the Irish should have been banned from entering the States decades if not centuries ago...

IbrahaimMohamad

America wants our skilled workers but not our skill less underclass!

meanwhile we are stuck with 100,000 foreign born welfare consumers who can't or won't work in Ireland!

NewDawn1

NYCKY

BBC News - Can the Irish help reform US immigration?

The BBC have picked up on this.

Though Ireland and America have a long immigration history, legal avenues for Irish immigrants vastly diminished after a 1965 bill was passed.

The legislation eliminated country-based immigration quotas that benefited Europeans, and focused instead on offering entry to those with family connections and employment offers.

"The unintended effect of it was that it virtually eliminated immigration from Ireland," says Sharry. "After the 1965 criteria, most immigration came from Latin America and Asia."

Given the "historic closeness" of the US and Ireland, says Sharry, lawmakers and activists have tried to increase the opportunity for Irish to emigrate to the US, including adding 10,000 visas for Irish citizens in the 1990s - language that is also included in the current bill.
Pushing the "historic closeness" of the two countries on this issue is lame and hoping it goes under the radar is equally lame. As the deal gets "conferenced", I think this special Irish provision could become a victim of a bigger deal.

While the legislation passed in the Senate, it got the support of just 14 Republicans and thus is unlikely to pass the House in it's current form. Some abridged version should pass later this year if the push continues from both sides.

patwmcgee

Twitter
patwmcgee
The only immigration reform America needs is a return to the 1921 and 1924 Acts that virtually eliminated immigration to the United States. Given the current state of the economy, the United States does not have jobs for many of the people already here and the wages for what jobs there are decline year after year. The real (U6) unemployment rate is over 14%. To the extent any immigration is allowed, it should go to immigrants with education and skills needed by American industry and the American workforce. Moreover, all immigrants should be from areas where they can easily culturally assimilate into the melting pot we already have. The Democrats want massive immigration from the third world because they believe it provides them with a political advantage. The Republicans, especially sell-outs like John McCain and Lindsey Graham, are too spineless to stand up to the Democrats, liberal media, large corporations (who are seeking cheap labor) and other interest groups. That being said, there is probably enough pressure being applied to wobbly House Republican leaders by the right to keep the House from approving a bad bill. The most likely result is no immigration law, but continued non-enforcement of the current laws.

ManOfReason

I got here on a Donnelly Visa in 1992, my brother before me on a Morrision Visa. If these visas do become available I highly recommend you apply for them, or get you kids to apply for them if they are of age, it could be the last chance for another generation. Just think where the USA (and the rest of the developed world) may be in five years and where Ireland will be.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
I got here on a Donnelly Visa in 1992, my brother before me on a Morrision Visa. If these visas do become available I highly recommend you apply for them, or get you kids to apply for them if they are of age, it could be the last chance for another generation. Just think where the USA (and the rest of the developed world) may be in five years and where Ireland will be.
Both Ireland and the US will be bankrupt.

I note in the US media, what is not being reported is that a 13 year old girl was just raped by a dozen mexican illegals. The reconquista is going well when the media are afraid to open their mouths.

macedo

This sounds like a better deal for the Irish, as long as they haven't broken the law.

Obama: 'You can come out of the shadows' - CNN.com
I presume you mean except immigration law.

Ten minute piece on morning Ireland including interview with woman from Derry who has been in States for 15 years and had a child and was unbable to attend mothers funeral.

It's hard not to be sympathetic but interviewer at no time asked did she not feel she had made choices that resulted in her situation. If she left Ireland in 1999 it would have been in the first flush of the Celtic Tiger when jobs were plentiful.

owedtojoy

I note in the US media, what is not being reported is that a 13 year old girl was just raped by a dozen mexican illegals. The reconquista is going well when the media are afraid to open their mouths.
When racists are desperate, they always fall back on the "White men, protect your clean white women!" meme. Sad thing is that it often works so they keep using it.

It is often both racist and misogynistic as the fear is that hysterical, weak white women may begin to enjoy the caresses of black or brown men over their flaccid white masters.

I wonder how many white women were raped by white men on the same day?

Mitsui2

Great to see you back, Tele!

The place has been lacking in precisely the sort of fairminded, evenhanded gravitas you provide.

Sangreel

Amnesty shocker! The secret behind Obama’s ‘order’

QUOTE: AMNESTY SHOCKER! THE SECRET BEHIND OBAMA'S 'ORDER' President accused of 'sleight of hand' to protect self from impeachment. END QUOTE

More:

QUOTE: Where are the executive orders Obama supposedly signed to permit up to 5 million parents of young illegal aliens to remain in the United States for three years?

The White House appears to have engaged in administrative sleight of hand, changing U.S. immigration law not by executive order but by a memorandum “exercising prosecutorial discretion” Johnson signed the day of Obama’s Nov. 20 nationwide address that so far has not been filed in the Federal Register.

Tom Fitton, president of Washington-based watchdog institution Judicial Watch, told WND in an interview the legal status of Johnson’s memo is a serious constitutional question that deserves to be adjudicated.

“The entire implementing authority involves a memorandum published by DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson that changes the immigration law, directing federal money to be spent that has not been appropriated by Congress,” he said.

“In my view, there is a serious question whether Jeh Johnson should be impeached for taking this action, and a criminal investigation should be initiated to determine how and why federal funds are being misappropriated,” he declared. END QUOTE

More smoke and mirrors.

Dr Pat

Amnesty shocker! The secret behind Obama’s ‘order’

QUOTE: AMNESTY SHOCKER! THE SECRET BEHIND OBAMA'S 'ORDER' President accused of 'sleight of hand' to protect self from impeachment. END QUOTE

More:

QUOTE: Where are the executive orders Obama supposedly signed to permit up to 5 million parents of young illegal aliens to remain in the United States for three years?

The White House appears to have engaged in administrative sleight of hand, changing U.S. immigration law not by executive order but by a memorandum “exercising prosecutorial discretion” Johnson signed the day of Obama’s Nov. 20 nationwide address that so far has not been filed in the Federal Register.

Tom Fitton, president of Washington-based watchdog institution Judicial Watch, told WND in an interview the legal status of Johnson’s memo is a serious constitutional question that deserves to be adjudicated.

“The entire implementing authority involves a memorandum published by DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson that changes the immigration law, directing federal money to be spent that has not been appropriated by Congress,” he said.

“In my view, there is a serious question whether Jeh Johnson should be impeached for taking this action, and a criminal investigation should be initiated to determine how and why federal funds are being misappropriated,” he declared. END QUOTE

More smoke and mirrors.
Send 'em back to where they came from, including Ireland.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies