• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

A Hate Group Or A Legitimate Organisation

CptSternn

[video=youtube;zaRK-0W5HQI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zaRK-0W5HQI[/video]

Could the same logic not be applied to say blacks and whites marrying? Oh wait, it was up until 1967 when they finally legalised mixed marriages in America. It's sad to see almost fifty years after these arguments were made in America, that an Irish group would be using them to once again discriminate against a group of people here in Ireland.

Check out their website -

The Iona Institute | Welcome to the Iona Institute Website

It's chock full of anti-gay, anti-Muslim articles.

Red_93

The argument that every child ever born has had a mother and father will soon become untrue. Eggs and sperm can be made out of stem cells, regardless of sex. This has been done with mice already. We are not too far away from two men or two women having their own biological child.

ruserious

The argument that every child ever born has had a mother and father will soon become untrue. Eggs and sperm can be made out of stem cells, regardless of sex. This has been done with mice already. We are not too far away from two men or two women having their own biological child.
Wait...can female eggs be made from the stem cells of men :confused:

Windowshopper

Their entitled to their views. I wouldn't call them a hate group rather they are a group who wants society dominated by their own narrow religious views. I find the fact that they couldn't resist a Helen Lovejoy moment quite amusing.

[video=youtube;Qh2sWSVRrmo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2sWSVRrmo[/video]

Ribeye

Idiots,

The state has no place in the marriage business,

Just fckn leave people alone to persue what makes them happy!

Last edited:
M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Wait...can female eggs be made from the stem cells of men :confused:
Yes. Considering men and women are half of each other.

USER1234(iirc) posted a link a while back on the subject - I'll see if I can find it.

The Owl

What? And does the resultant cells grow from a petrie dish into a human baby without the use of a womb?

harshreality

I hope one day to live in a world where I will be so contented and so on top of things that I will have time to worry about the private lives of others:p

Not sure if I would classify these Iona people as a hate group though.

Red_93

As regards their views being hateful, well at the present moment no, they would not be regarded as hateful, just ultra conservative. However, in a few decades I think such views will be regarded as hateful. Compare how Enoch Powell was received as opposed to Nick Griffin.

Red_93

What? And does the resultant cells grow from a petrie dish into a human baby without the use of a womb?
No no dear one would need a surrogate. Just like test tube babies don't ACTUALLY grow in a test tube.

Mercurial

The arguments put forth in the video are simply bad ones. Not only are they bad ones, they are obviously bad ones. This suggests that those behind the video are either really dishonest or really stupid. My money's on the latter.

Red_93

Interestingly enough, the first man to produce a child by way of a male egg will also be the first man ever to pass on his mitochondrial DNA.

Con Gallagher

It is an organisation that has a right to put forward an opinion. Nothing in what they say in this video is incitement to hatred. Their argument is very simplistic - marriage is about children. Though the constitution makes no reference to children of married couples bar the most recent amendment. But that is their definition. Marriage is a social contract for the creation of children. The Spanish don't share that definition. The Catholic Church does. They are entitled to their own definition. Just as civil law can have its own definition ie a social contract between two adults not related to each other to the exclusion of all others, to commit to each other subject to the divorce provision. That definition can inure same-sex couples.

The Oireachtas should get on with legislating for unless the Supreme Court says otherwise.

Ribeye

What's wrong with hate btw, it's not a crime to hate someone,

I hate lots of people,

In fact, I think I hate those Iona idiots, and I know I hate the RCC,

I just don't ask the govt to legislate for my views,

Windowshopper

The arguments put forth in the video are simply bad ones. Not only are they bad ones, they are obviously bad ones. This suggests that those behind the video are either really dishonest or really stupid. My money's on the latter.
I would cover both bases and say they are both.

Skyrocket

[video=youtube;zaRK-0W5HQI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zaRK-0W5HQI[/video]

Could the same logic not be applied to say blacks and whites marrying? Oh wait, it was up until 1967 when they finally legalised mixed marriages in America. It's sad to see almost fifty years after these arguments were made in America, that an Irish group would be using them to once again discriminate against a group of people here in Ireland.

Check out their website -

The Iona Institute | Welcome to the Iona Institute Website

It's chock full of anti-gay, anti-Muslim articles.
The same logic could be applied to anything if you want to twist logic so much to attempt marginalise a group you disagree with by portraying them as a 'hate group'.

Nevertheless, this OP is a step up for you since your most recent one was about a fake study of the IQ of Fox News viewers being "close to special needs levels".