A higher loyalty

Gurdiev77

Two chapters in , it's engaging.
He reads well. Formative years covered and early career NY public prosecutor, working under Giuliani , and on big mafia cases in the mid eighties.

Jezza15

I was fascinated in 2016 watching Trey Gowdy and Jason Chafetz banging their heads against a brick wall trying to get past Comey's insistence that he was the right person to decide that HRC couldn't be prosecuted because they couldn't prove that she knew what she was doing was a crime. He can keep a straight face while he's talking out of his ****. I'll give him that.
A lawyer who thought he thought he could play politics. If he had any integrity he would have resigned in 2016, never mind before Trump sacked him. The FBI needs to be led by an FBI agent, not a lawyer.

Gurdiev77

I was fascinated in 2016 watching Trey Gowdy and Jason Chafetz banging their heads against a brick wall trying to get past Comey's insistence that he was the right person to decide that HRC couldn't be prosecuted because they couldn't prove that she knew what she was doing was a crime. He can keep a straight face while he's talking out of his ****. I'll give him that.
A lawyer who thought he thought he could play politics. If he had any integrity he would have resigned in 2016, never mind before Trump sacked him. The FBI needs to be led by an FBI agent, not a lawyer.
It seems like a lot of guys who get to the top jobs have been prosecutors.
As jmcc says , easier said than done.

The number of people in the US who have law degrees and were attorneys at some stage never ceases to amaze me.
Virtually everyone on tv and cable news programmes

Sync

His recent behaviour confirmed the case for his sacking. Nate Silver, not exactly a major Trump fan, was onto something when he referred to the book as "a Higher Royalty"
Yeah I think the 538 guys summed him up really well. His lines on Trump are compelling and most likely true. His ability to self reflect and not understand that he completely botched the handling of Clinton is damaging to himself.

If his intent was to hurt Trump, the best at was to remain aloof and speak factually about their discussions. The second he editorialised (the mob boss stuff) he’s just another talking head looking for money.

Gurdiev77

His recent behaviour confirmed the case for his sacking. Nate Silver, not exactly a major Trump fan, was onto something when he referred to the book as "a Higher Royalty"
Im into he first few chapters, his early career, up to 9/11, after which he was called back to NY from his Virginia.

He appeared self important, too high profile , and too political . He actually destroyed HRC election chances, whether he intended to or not.
But the guy has a helluva record of dutiful service, and plainly he has been honed on the toughest of cases, and yet I believe has retained a moral compass.
Perhaps it was time to put a new person into the FBI , but the public humiliation, and smearing by Trump and Co was completely unwarranted and unethical.

If the transition had been handled correctly this book would not have been published.

Gurdiev77

I will listen to it in bed. Its much nicer hearing a book rather than reading it sometimes.
Really is.I like to listen whilst working or driving , in fact I wouldn't buy the book or have the time to sit and read it , as I have a pile ahead of it. But the audio is great, and the guy has had a very interesring career.

CatullusV

Yeah I think the 538 guys summed him up really well. His lines on Trump are compelling and most likely true. His ability to self reflect and not understand that he completely botched the handling of Clinton is damaging to himself.

If his intent was to hurt Trump, the best at was to remain aloof and speak factually about their discussions. The second he editorialised (the mob boss stuff) he’s just another talking head looking for money.
I've caught a couple of his interviews and he comes across as a very impressive individual indeed. I'm talking about his deportment and his demeanour; that doesn't address the truth or otherwise of his narrative. Maybe the word is "plausible" - again, a word which holds no truth value.

GDPR

Im into he first few chapters, his early career, up to 9/11, after which he was called back to NY from his Virginia.

He appeared self important, too high profile , and too political . He actually destroyed HRC election chances, whether he intended to or not.
But the guy has a helluva record of dutiful service, and plainly he has been honed on the toughest of cases, and yet I believe has retained a moral compass.
Perhaps it was time to put a new person into the FBI , but the public humiliation, and smearing by Trump and Co was completely unwarranted and unethical.

If the transition had been handled correctly this book would not have been published.
If he hadn't so arrogantly and presumptuously shoved HRC aside he'd still be heading the FBI under Pesident Clinton.

HRC's claims that Comey was mainly to blame for her defeat are proving to be true.

Orbit v2

"world's tallest boy scout" was one of the best put-downs I heard about him. I had my own suspicions when I heard him exclaim "Lordy, I hope there are tapes" at his congressional testimony about Trump. But, it's gone beyond the point where establishment figures who are supposed to remain non partisan, have to call this out for what it is. Someone had to do it.

Last edited:

Orbit v2

If he hadn't so arrogantly and presumptuously shoved HRC aside he'd still be heading the FBI under Pesident Clinton.

HRC's claims that Comey was mainly to blame for her defeat are proving to be true.
That is probably the most valid criticism he faces. For all the "higher loyalty" stuff there, he made a political calculation that turned out to be a terrible mistake, and he should have resigned over it.

Gurdiev77

"world's tallest boy scout" was one of the best put-downs I heard about him. I had my own suspicions when I heard him exclaim "Lordy, I hope there are tapes" at his congressional testimony about Trump. But, it's gone beyond the point where establishment figures who are supposed to remain non partisan, have to call this out for what it is. Someone had to do it.
I was aghast when he made the statemnt about Hillary that finished her off. I assumed at the time that he must have been in the pocket of Trump.

Gurdiev77

That is probably the most valid criticism he faces. For all the "higher loyalty" stuff there, he made a political calculation that turned out to be a terrible mistake, and he should have resigned over it.
Yes, you're right about that.

Gurdiev77

He spent the eighties prosecuting and basically dstorying the five mob families in New York.

He's had vast experience of the their power and loyalty structures, their selective 'codes of ethics', and their ellipical standards of behavior. He's spent hthousands of hours interviewing those guys and getting to know them fairly well.

I think he was well placed to spot the same mechanisms operating around the Trump coterie.

New Threads

Most Replies