A Labour member as Minister for Agriculture?

DJP

Website
darrenjprior.blogspot.com
Twitter
https://twitter.com/DarrenJPrior
I see that there is no Agriculture forum so I will just post in the Oireachtas forum.

Labour are hoping for a Gimore Gale at the next general election but I would say that even if they get one while they may be the biggest party in Dublin and some other urban areas they will still be behind both Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil in rural areas.

So surely Labour would want to have one of their members being Minister for Agriculture, no? The Labour Minister would probably also have one other party Junior Minister in the Department also. If the Ministers do a good job in the Department it will be good for the party in rural areas. Currently Labour are seen as an urban party by most rural people I think but this could change.

Has a Labour member even ever been a Minister for Agriculture in Ireland?

Cael

Hopefully, they would end the farmers dole. Thats two billion a year given to people just for being rich.

dotski_w_

Website
irishpollingreport.wordpress.com
I see that there is no Agriculture forum so I will just post in the Oireachtas forum.

Labour are hoping for a Gimore Gale at the next general election but I would say that even if they get one while they may be the biggest party in Dublin and some other urban areas they will still be behind both Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil in rural areas.

So surely Labour would want to have one of their members being Minister for Agriculture, no? The Labour Minister would probably also have one other party Junior Minister in the Department also. If the Ministers do a good job in the Department it will be good for the party in rural areas. Currently Labour are seen as an urban party by most rural people I think but this could change.

not sure that a Labour Minister for Agriculture at a time of massive cutbacks would necessarily turn that perception around!

DJP

Website
darrenjprior.blogspot.com
Twitter
https://twitter.com/DarrenJPrior
That is like saying that they would not like Finance also for the same reason. That could be the case but I don't think in reality that it is.

Cael

not sure that a Labour Minister for Agriculture at a time of massive cutbacks would necessarily turn that perception around!
Most rural voters are not landowners, so cutting the farmers dole could be very popular for the Labour Party in the rural areas.

Panopticon

Agriculture is an interest-group ministry, like Health; the interest group is never happy with the incumbent, because that would be a sign of weakness.

Never a Labour Minister in that department before, which is not surprising, because it's often given to a farmer, but a bit unusual, because the party used to be almost exclusively based in "rural" (small town) areas.

Red_93

In the last MRBI poll, labour were 3% among farmers, so this could potentially address that. Alan Kelly, Seán Sherlock or Willie Penrose would all be suited to that portfolio.

ocoonassa

Hopefully, they would end the farmers dole.
Well said. What is Labour policy on the CAP I wonder? Are they all for it like the rest of the people up in the Dáil?

ocoonassa

Irish people tend not to care if other people get subsidies.
That's not what I heard them say, in fact lately they seem entirely opposed to free handouts of any sort, something to do with a deficit or something.

Cael

Statistics for that? Irish people tend not to care if other people get subsidies.
Look at this forum. Daily complaints about people getting the dole. Alot of the rural poor are not very happy that they have to pay tax to give dole to men who drive mercs and own hundreds of acres of land.

Cael

Well said. What is Labour policy on the CAP I wonder? Are they all for it like the rest of the people up in the Dáil?
I dont know, a chara. Labour are very good at not actually having any policies.

The most likely outcome of the next elction is that there will be a FG/Lab coalition. FG get much of their support from large farmers (always have) they are most unlikely to allow Lab have the ministry.
farmers dole is paid to farmers with small income. It is similar in nature to the family income supplement.

Cael

The most likely outcome of the next elction is that there will be a FG/Lab coalition. FG get much of their support from large farmers (always have) they are most unlikely to allow Lab have the ministry.
farmers dole is paid to farmers with small income. It is similar in nature to the family income supplement.
One farmer in Munster gets 450,000 euro a year in farmers dole. Nice family income supplement...

LgCastell

One farmer in Munster gets 450,000 euro a year in farmers dole. Nice family income supplement...
i think you're getting this farmers dole as you call it with the single farm payment which is an eu based payment payed to farmers based on the land and activity and cost they have on their land

secondly farmers are asset rich and cash poor land does not transmit into cash in the bank

also why are you so hostile to farmers you make it sound as if they're rolling in money when in fact farming isnt profitable at all most operate off bank loans and overdrafts with farm incomes supplementing this

florin

How could FG get most of their support from large farmers when there are maybe 40,000 of them? As for farmer's dole, he doesn't mean the relief given to farmers earning €15k a year (that only amounts to €96m in total), but the enormous subsidies that we give big businessmen because their businesses are unprofitable and they don't feel like changing their ways.

Tomas Mor

Michael Davitt at the end of his days said the farmers of Ireland were not worth fighting for (as he did) and are only concerned for themselves. They overgraze, overproduce and are very self centred. But is this start of campaign to frighten them off with a Labour Minister. I think the Bull Donohue did it before last election, threatening the Greens on farmers, and that they could not use pesticide and would have to suffer slugs on their lettuce ! That was before Na Glasrai joined up with FFers.

Cael

i think you're getting this farmers dole as you call it with the single farm payment which is an eu based payment payed to farmers based on the land and activity and cost they have on their land

secondly farmers are asset rich and cash poor land does not transmit into cash in the bank

also why are you so hostile to farmers you make it sound as if they're rolling in money when in fact farming isnt profitable at all most operate off bank loans and overdrafts with farm incomes supplementing this
Call it what you like, its still farmers dole that the landless taxpayer has to pay. As you say, they are asset rich, and people who are both asset poor and cash poor shouldnt be forced to fork out nearly a half a million a year in dole to rich individuals.

Cael

How could FG get most of their support from large farmers when there are maybe 40,000 of them? As for farmer's dole, he doesn't mean the relief given to farmers earning €15k a year (that only amounts to €96m in total), but the enormous subsidies that we give big businessmen because their businesses are unprofitable and they don't feel like changing their ways.
There are actually only 44,000 full time farmers in the 26 counties.

Goban Saor

That's not what I heard them say, in fact lately they seem entirely opposed to free handouts of any sort, something to do with a deficit or something.

I come across very few people that care about the deficit.

Look at this forum. Daily complaints about people getting the dole. Alot of the rural poor are not very happy that they have to pay tax to give dole to men who drive mercs and own hundreds of acres of land.
This forum doesnt represent the rural community. I have only ever heard urban people complain. Dont get me wrong. If I had a choice the gov wouldnt even have a budget of €1. So take farmers dole away please. Just saying I dont think a policy on ending would actually get votes.

Tell the farm and get a better job.

New Threads

Most Replies