A Maximum Age for Citizenship?

TonyB

Twitter
technopolitics
Following the publication of the Ombudsman's Report, there is clearly a dual problem for the State - first in answering for its treatment of the elderly in residential care and their families, and second in paying compensation for the inevitable claims against the state. At the same time there is an unrelenting pressure to retain the older person’s vote by going easy on the pensions, while scratching one’s head to find where else the cuts can be made.

This being a time for radical proposals, perhaps we should consider whether we should impose an upper age limit for citizens. Upon reaching this age – I would suggest seventy as being old enough – our soon-to-be-former citizens could be offered Ryanair tickets to, say, Spain (or anyplace Ryanair flies to) with a small pay-off and a card from the President. Younger husbands or wives could accompany them. Children and grand children could still see them on Skype, or some such Internet device. Should they not wish to leave the jurisdiction, we could offer free euthanasia on the Medical Card.

The benefits of such a scheme are near limitless – the pension burden would be almost eliminated; the cost of running the health service – with a younger and therefore healthier population – would similarly be slashed; ancillary benefits such as the license fee, telephone service and so on would be unnecessary. In addition, Ireland would have what executives might call “a tighter demographic” for marketing purposes. Productivity would increase because we would not have to drive to work behind excessively slow older drivers. Furthermore, we would doubtless be once again the envy of the developed world for our innovation, just as we were with the smoking ban and the plastic bag levy. Finally, we would no longer have to worry about them voting “erratically”, as they would no longer be voting at all. It is frankly quite difficult to see any downside at all.

Some weaker countries may have qualms about our policies, but our leadership must be strong in the face of such criticism. After all, it’s not like we eat our babies.

pujols

Swift is dead; let him rest in peace.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com

TonyB, Are you talking.... to ME!

If I was behind you on a motorway in my Dodge Coronet V8 you would be looking at my exhaust fumes in your rear view mirror.

By the way Passed police cars at 120 MPH legally in the Dodge on the M6 Motorway in the UK 1964.

Last edited:

Mondo

Perhaps they could be 'retrained' and 'transitioned' into careers as tinned spam and distributed with the free cheese in lieu of welfare payments?

Mondo

Saw that "Soylant Green" movie in the 1970s.

You young guys are so unrefined.
Spot anyone in it with a resemblance to Lenny?
....sucking the last of the nutrients out of the wizened Green corpses.

Or was that Nosferatu?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies