• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

A Midsummer's night dream. Well that's today.

asset test

When I was younger we used to go to Massey's Estate up in the Dublin Mountains. Brought food an grog and had a wild time. Near enough to the Hellfire Club.

Not a lot of mention of it this year though.

Good times.

SayItAintSo

When I was younger we used to go to Massey's Estate up in the Dublin Mountains. Brought food an grog and had a wild time. Near enough to the Hellfire Club.

Not a lot of mention of it this year though.

Good times.
No way! So did I! I wonder did our paths ever cross? ☺

asset test

No way! So did I! I wonder did our paths ever cross? ☺
Do you remember me? Wild and good looking and in charge of the food. Cos I was always starving!

Good days. We (ahem, and sorry) lit a fire and cooked sausages. That was haute cuisine in those days lol.

+lots of bread and beer. Great days and not a fight in sight.

Don't ask how we got there or got back, but we did! The confidence of youth.

forest

I am a big fan of the play
Have seen various versions of it
and like film from the 90s

But saw the latest BBC adaptation last night
and its terrible

Bad casting and ad ons

Gin Soaked

I remember one mid summer on a beach in the north west. The sun did not really set, it just skirted around the horizon. Lovely times from our youth. Now time flies and you are permanently knackered and don't soak up the seasons the same way..

SayItAintSo

Do you remember me? Wild and good looking and in charge of the food. Cos I was always starving!

Good days. We (ahem, and sorry) lit a fire and cooked sausages. That was haute cuisine in those days lol.

Great days indeed ☺

SayItAintSo

http://chapterhouse.org/ worth a look if anyone's interested. I saw Pride & Predjudice by this group last year at Castlebellingham. Its a wonderful way to spend a summers evening.

Last edited:

asset test

I am a big fan of the play
Have seen various versions of it
and like film from the 90s

But saw the latest BBC adaptation last night
and its terrible

Bad casting and ad ons
Saw a version in the grounds of Dublin Castle, it was hilarious. Because most had drink on board, the weather was ace, and it was open air which always allows poetic licence for humorous comment in full voice!

But I am talking about today and what we did in our youth to mark Mid Summer night!

We don't do anything now obviously, except think it's a downhill from now on WRT to evening light. But we won't notice until the sprogs go back to school in September!

Happy Times.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com

asset test

In fairness, the actual date is fluid. Can be on the 20/21/22 of June depending on the alignment of Venus, Cassiopeia and the ISS.
Was only having a laugh, but in our household was always 21 June.

So days are getting shorter from now on, so unreal given that July and August is the main holiday season. But who notices or maybe who cares?

storybud1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUDvZaMl4RU

A Midsummer Night's Dream (Mendelssohn)

Written when he was only 17 ?

Contemporary music scholar George Grove called it "the greatest marvel of early maturity that the world has ever seen in music

So, some guys were knocking back moonshine up a mountain like redneck trainees (yep, guilty also ) at 17 and others were writing sublime music,

Just FYI,,

asset test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUDvZaMl4RU

A Midsummer Night's Dream (Mendelssohn)

Written when he was only 17 ?

Contemporary music scholar George Grove called it "the greatest marvel of early maturity that the world has ever seen in music

So, some guys were knocking back moonshine up a mountain like redneck trainees (yep, guilty also ) at 17 and others were writing sublime music,

Just FYI,,
Great composer, he died at at 38. But that was not unusual in those days. It was the same with Keats although he died younger still. A poet though.

Eire1976

Denny gold medal or Galtee?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies