• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

A Myth of Croke Park

Ulster-Lad

Loads of government rhetoric has gone into promotion of the myth that pay increment rises are only for the lower paid within the Public Service. Well todays Sindo apparently disputes that and it has become a matter of shall we say discussion among the government parties but also within FG itself.

The Sunday Independent today publishes details of a €266m bonanza in pay increases, top ups, on-call and overtime payments including to middle and senior HSE staff, which it previously failed to disclose. Amid deep rancour within the Government over the €26m cuts to respite care allowances, we can disclose that this year the HSE will spend €17.6m alone on incremental pay increases to staff.
The figures have led a government member of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC), Fine Gael TD Simon Harris, to state yesterday "the poor, the sick and the elderly are now paying for the retention of the Croke Park deal, which is clearly not fit for purpose".
? 621 people in the HSE who earn €70,000 or more will this year receive a pay increase of more than €1,000 each.

? Worse still, documents obtained by the Sunday Independent show that, in 2012, 221 senior managers and staff who earn more than a €100,000 will be in receipt of 'increments' or length of service pay increases.
Revealed: €266m top-ups are paid out to HSE staff - National News - Independent.ie

Ulster-Lad

Simon Harris apparently took issue with it.

The matter of the respite care remains a sore point for backbench government TDs and, despite a plea from Taoiseach Enda Kenny to his troops to desist from budget discussion, the matter was raised during Fine Gael's parliamentary party meeting by Mr Harris – much to the displeasure of his leader.

Speaking to the Sunday Independent, Mr Harris said: "These galling figures dispel the myth that increments are only paid to lower-wage workers.

LDF

221 senior managers in the HSE. That alone is a scandal.

Ulster-Lad

221 senior managers in the HSE. That alone is a scandal.
At least it should give the Seanad something to think about when debating the budget. Cut to Child Benefit, Cut Respite Care, Pay rise to almost 900 people earning in excess of €70,000 p.a

cabledude

I wonder how many posts before the 'cavalry' arrive. :)

Conor

Loads of government rhetoric has gone into promotion of the myth that pay increment rises are only for the lower paid within the Public Service.
When was that ever suggested?

wexfordman

alloverbartheshouting

The joke is that increments are paid to all who are contractually entitled to them without any reference to personal performance. It must also be said, however, that an increment of €1,000 mentioned in the OP works out at less than €20 p/w gross. After deductions - tax, USC, PRSI, etc. - the net figure is considerably less, certainly not a significant enough sum for those on receipt of it to rely on annually. The net amount does not even match inflation (the usual argument presented for their existence) so why these are still paid is beyond me.

EDIT: In my haste to respond to the OP, I wasn't clear in the above regarding increments and inflation. The point I was trying to make, albeit hurriedly so badly, is that the net effect of many increments is not sufficient to even meet inflation, so what exactly is the point of them? I say this as someone who receives increments, BTW.

Last edited:

R3volution_R3ady

It's a flaming disgrace. Shame on all of us to allow this to materialize.

RobertW

Perhaps Simon Harris would like to inform the public of what he thinks of the 100 grand a year plus 50 grand unvouched for expenses that he and his colleagues have been receiving recently.

Harris is a populist ignorant gobsh1te

RobertW

It's a flaming disgrace. Shame on all of us to allow this to materialize.
Both FG and the Labour Party publicly supported the Croke Park Agreement in their election manifestos for the February 2011 election.

They then went on to form a government with the largest majority in the history of this state.

davoid

The joke is that increments are paid to all who are contractually entitled to them without any reference to personal performance. It must also be said, however, that an increment of €1,000 mentioned in the OP works out at less than €20 p/w gross. After deductions - tax, USC, PRSI, etc. - the net figure is considerably less, certainly not a significant enough sum for those on receipt of it to rely on annually. The net amount does not match inflation (the usual argument presented for their existence) so why these are still paid is beyond me.
I may be wrong on this and if so stand to be corrected, but increments are not intended to compensate for inflation. Inflation is addressed via national pay deals. Increments are there for a combination of length of service, expereince and performance.

That said, for a bankrupt employer to cut respite care to give highly paid employees (SBP said about 2700 of them over 80k got them) is nothing short of corruption. Legal yes, corrupt, yes.

When is somebody, anybody, going to shout stop?

Howya

Both FG and the Labour Party publicly supported the Croke Park Agreement in their election manifestos for the February 2011 election.

They then went on to form a government with the largest majority in the history of this state.
But they said lots of things in their manifesto....which we weren't supposed to believe anyway:)

Howya

I may be wrong on this and if so stand to be corrected, but increments are not intended to compensate for inflation. Inflation is addressed via national pay deals. Increments are there for a combination of length of service, expereince and performance.

That said, for a bankrupt employer to cut respite care to give highly paid employees (SBP said about 2700 of them over 80k got them) is nothing short of corruption. Legal yes, corrupt, yes.

When is somebody, anybody, going to shout stop?
Indeed, further proof that the nation is both legally bankrupt and morally bankrupt.

Niall Power

The country is being divided into haves and have nots!
the scandal is that the have nots are paying for the haves?
The Croke park deal is morally wrong at this stage,
but Fg and Labour will always do what is politically right
not what is morally right,
I hope this corrupt government falls SOON!

gatsbygirl20

I wonder how many posts before the 'cavalry' arrive. :)
The "cavalry" being presumably those pesky people who have the temerity--on a discussion forum--to actually put forward a different point of view....

What myth?

The "myth" that increments are paid overwhelmingly to the lower paid in the PS?

The "myth" that most PS workers do not receive increments.?

The above are facts not "myths", and the Sindo--focusing only on the HSE ,( a target-rich environment if there ever was one for those in need of an anti-PS rant)--has not disproved those "myths"

In the PS overall, most workers are not in receipt of increments, and 76% of those in receipt of them are paid less than 50K Howlin defends public service pay increments - RTÉ News

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies