• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

A nation without a large middle class

feargach

The middle class is what allows a 3rd world country to become 1st world. The explosion of our mortgage bubble seems to have blown Ireland's middle away. A chunk of people, about a third, who are doing Okay but not enough to be properly rich.

I'm talking about economics, of course, not wishy-washy stuff like "values" and all that.

A lot of people ask me why, given that I never mortgaged up during the bubble, I want some kind of partial debt forgiveness for the people who did. The answer is not generosity, but rather that I really do not want Ireland to become a third world country. And in the absence of a large middle class, nothing else is possible. Right now, a large proportion of people who were born in the 1970s are underwater on the mortgage, and that's killing the economy.

We can see a similar process going on in Spain. Not only that, it's the same thing all over again for them. After Franco took over, a nascent middle class was wiped out and living standards went back to 1880s levels for most of Spain.

Even if you are upper-class, you really should be scared of Ireland taking the 3rd world route. Who's going to take care of you when you're old and sick? It's doubtful that, in a 3rd world situation, governments will be able to get away with subsidising high-quality private health care for the rich with doctors for the poor. The rich are going to have to pay the considerable costs of health care all by themselves. That means that unless you're in the top 1%, you will end up being thankful if you manage to get a trolley in the hall.

Health, infrastructure and other trappings of the 1st world set are all predicated on a large, prosperous middle class. With only a small middle class, those things will necessarily get scaled back.

Mad as Fish

I'm still awaiting a definition of 'middle class'.

Analyzer

In Ireland, the middle class is shrinking. The right incentives are in place to ensure that this trend stays in place, and accelerates.

The working class is being treated with contempt, and being lied to. And this looks certain to continue.

The underclass is growing. The correct incentives are in place to encourage this also.

And the tax exile class is feted by the media. This is looking like it is facing an economic problem, therefore the media wants more compulsory taxes from the middle class and the working class, so as to incentivize this also.

And the plutocrat class wants to congratulate the working class, and the middle class for doing the responsible thing (and bailing out their own irresponsibility).

The key to unravelling the lot, I reckon, is the media.

Analyzer

Eddie Hobbs uses the description "the muddle class".

Tin Foil Hat

When we started describing those who pay their own way as 'privileged' and started treating those living off handouts as 'victims' was the point when we kissed this country goodbye.

frequency

It's the group that are not nobility but not working class. In Ireland, over 50% of the population receive some sort of benefits, the middle class is very small and getting smaller.

Northsideman

It's the group that are not nobility but not working class. In Ireland, over 50% of the population receive some sort of benefits, the middle class is very small and getting smaller.
Everyone with kids receive benefits including the middle and upper classes so that accounts for a massive chunk.

Niall996

I'll throw in a guess to start a firestorm. Probably that band of income between 40k and 70k is middle class. Obviously the word 'class' is an old colonial anachronism. It's really an income measurement now. So in and around that should be a reasonable stab.

RahenyFG

What would the OPer state as the minimum and maximum yearly income thresholds to be considered middle class?

Mr. Bumble

When we started describing those who pay their own way as 'privileged' and started treating those living off handouts as 'victims' was the point when we kissed this country goodbye.
I think we kissed it goodbye when we started describing people on dole/disability/lone parent's allowance/pensions as 'living off handouts'.

Northsideman

What would the OPer state as the minimum and maximum yearly income thresholds to be considered middle class?
With some in Dublin it's not income just a deluded state of mind!

EUrJokingMeRight

There is no middle class in Ireland.

There is a section of the working class who call themselves 'Middle class' but really they are working class with delusions of grandeur.

Northsideman

I'll throw in a guess to start a firestorm. Probably that band of income between 40k and 70k is middle class. Obviously the word 'class' is an old colonial anachronism. It's really an income measurement now. So in and around that should be a reasonable stab.
Fuk me I'm royalty.

EUrJokingMeRight

If you work, you are working class. The clue is in the word 'working'.

It does not matter what you earn.

Got it?

Now back to work...annual review next week..I'd hate to have to mark you down. :D

Colin M

The middle class always vote for the wrong ones in elections, who end up screwing them through increasing taxation - FF under Bertie, FG last time around. They still buy into what the likes of the mainstream media say, far too much. 'Useful idiots', far too frequently.

Analyzer

In the current economic environment, it is important to distinguish between the superficial trappings of class (as indicated by consumer group belongingness spending) and income.

At tome point, the richest man in Ireland was telling us "I am just an ordinary man", and "I play poker for 50p a time".

On the other hand we had a large quantity of people living the high life, making reckless decisions, while racking up enormous debts.

Actually hold on....it is even possible to be in the two categories....