A national recovery tax

sheehan

I propose a national recovery/solidarity tax which is ringfenced for stimulating the economy and providing jobs. The tax rate should be mulitiple-tiered where higher earners pay more (because they are supposed to benefit more in economic growth later) 1 billion, 2 billion...?

TODevastated

I propose a national recovery/solidarity tax which is ringfenced for stimulating the economy and providing jobs. The tax rate should be mulitiple-tiered where higher earners pay more (because they are supposed to benefit more in economic growth later) 1 billion, 2 billion...?
are they not called income levies??

captainwillard

I think this levy should be borne by those who caused the bubble. People who bought secnd properties, took on 100% mortgages and bought holiday homes abroad should have more pain than those who were more prudent.

D

Dylan2010

I propose that OP learn the concept of opportunity cost.................

sheehan

The leveis have gone into the banks.

You can sit it out (NAMA, Bail out, Cuts, etc.) when you are sick, but you will suffer more and longer. Better take some medicine (stimulus) in the meantime.

quackquack

I'll throw in a tenner.
How much are you proposing to put in yourself?

Another tax on top of the new taxes coming and cuts being made?

Again the question should be,

Why are Irish people having to pay for the private banks?

sheehan

Another tax on top of the new taxes coming and cuts being made?

Again the question should be,

Why are Irish people having to pay for the private banks?
The cuts we had have not gone into the economy but pumped into the banking system. The proposed tax is supposed to go into the Irish economy.

sheehan

I'll throw in a tenner.
How much are you proposing to put in yourself?
It depends on how much is considered enough to make a meaningful economic impact (spending). It's not my job to design the tax system.

quackquack

It depends on how much is considered enough to make a meaningful economic impact (spending). It's not my job to design the tax system.
How much can you afford to put in?
If you are expecting everyone else to chip, you must have some idea.
After all, it was your idea. You proposed it.

actiondoc

I second your proposal and also propose that there is a national Envy Tax on people who feel entitled to other's money, such as state dependent people (i.e., unemployed and banks).

Munion

How about capping income at €96,550?

People who earn more than this would stop working once they hit this ceiling which would make more work available for the unemployed........

bormotello

I second your proposal and also propose that there is a national Envy Tax on people who feel entitled to other's money, such as state dependent people (i.e., unemployed and banks).
Plus levy for using each time word “entitled” :rolleyes:

hammer

Make the rich pay. HO HO HO :)

Even in 2011 it will take 50 people on the minimum wage to cover the wages of the lowest paid public servant.

To get out of this hole we dont need more taxes we need the cost of running the country to be 40% lower.

goosebump

The cuts we had have not gone into the economy but pumped into the banking system. The proposed tax is supposed to go into the Irish economy.
The only cash that has been transferred to the banks so far is from the National Pension Reserve Fund.

Everything else is in the form of promissory notes.

The cuts are about balancing what we spend with what we earn, nothing else.

goosebump

People who earn more than this would stop working once they hit this ceiling which would make more work available for the unemployed........
I propose we increase the Minimum Wage to €1,000 per week. With all that spending power, people will consume more and create lots of jobs.

We could do the same with Job Seekers Benefit.

dgeraghty

How would that work exactly? Doctors only work a 4.5 day week leaving 0.5 day for all those unemployed Architects and Carpenters to perform much needed elective surgery?

goosebump

How would that work exactly? Doctors only work a 4.5 day week leaving 0.5 day for all those unemployed Architects and Carpenters to perform much needed elective surgery?
Its no less tenable a suggestion than some of the stuff or the celebrity journalists and trade unions are coming up with.

Munion

A typical neo-bourgeois pseudo-hyper-liberal de-reconstructed far-right colonialist reaction!

New Threads

Most Replies