A new day, a new Govt

Marcos the black

Today, the 27th June 2020, sees the old scars of civil war politics finally laid to rest as both FF and FG, together with the Greens form a historic Govt. in challenging times.
The battle for political identity will continue to rage as all 3, together with SF, for the first time in the States history takes up the mantle of the main opposition party, strive to make their mark over the life time of this govt.
We have a global pandemic, a looming recession, rapidly rising unemployment, Brexit, and all that that entails is just over the horizon, and the old issues such as homelessness and hospital overcrowding remain on the agenda.
Michael Martin finally becomes Taoiseach in these challenging times.
It will be very interesting to see how this new political reality develops over the coming months and years, as the impact and actions of this govt could have long term impacts on this country.
The best of luck to them, I wish this newly formed govt all the best over the lifetime of this Dail.

Last edited:

Gin Soaked

We need it to work. It is actually a very broad church of Irish voters and perspectives, but as Leahy pointed out in the IT today, it is not radical and excludes those who see that they are excluded from having a stake in Irish society.

But the included cohort pay the income tax and are not subsidised by the state.

So those supported by the state are excluded from having their voice heard, save for the left corner of FF.

This is what drives the disenfranchisement voiced by the radicals who failed to form a govt over 130 days.

wombat

I'll be sorry to see Richard Bruton leave govt., he showed his worth in 2011 when he took on the jobs ministry and was told his plans were wishful thinking, they couldn't be achieved.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Today, the 27th June 2020, sees the old scars of civil war politics finally laid to rest as both FF and FG, together with the Greens form a historic Govt. in challenging times.
The battle for political identity will continue to rage as all 3, together with SF, for the first time in the States history takes up the mantle of the main opposition party, strive to make their mark over the life time of this govt.
We have a global pandemic, a looming recession, rapidly rising unemployment, Brexit, and at that that entails is just over the horizon, and the old issues such as homelessness and hospital overcrowding remain on the agenda.
Michael Martin finally becomes Taoiseach in these challenging times.
It will be very interesting to see how this new political reality develops over the coming months and years, as the impact and actions of this govt could have long term impacts on this country.
The best of luck to them, I wish this newly formed govt all the best over the lifetime of this Dail.
Does this mean you will automatically become a member of Fianna Fail as well, Marcos? How does it work? Can you get discount via their membership card as well as your own?

This is miles more exciting than when the Beano and the Dandy clubs merged.

Marcos the black

Does this mean you will automatically become a member of Fianna Fail as well, Marcos? How does it work? Can you get discount via their membership card as well as your own?

This is miles more exciting than when the Beano and the Dandy clubs merged.
Perhaps you can use your mighty intellect to work it out...
What happened in every other coalition?

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
They were all raging successes?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Ah here we're just warming up. How's the programme for government looking to the extreme right wing of the new coalition?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Going to be legendary at times. Essentially you have three Irish parties, all alike in dignity, who can't criticise each other too much and are lined up with a single party who have never been in government in opposition so can't be counter-accused on a historical basis on economic or social policy. The leadership of Sinn Fein is untainted with any past historical associations and appears quite capable when it comes to senior hurling.

I'd much rather be in the smoky room with the Sinn Fein strategists rather than FFoGGy strategists right now :)

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
And I asked you did all coalition partners end up becoming one party. You haven't answered.
How can I answer a question that has no answer, simply because not all coalitions have occurred yet. I was trying to be polite to you at least during the phony war stage.

Marcos the black

Going to be legendary at times. Essentially you have three Irish parties, all alike in dignity, who can't criticise each other too much and are lined up with a single party who have never been in government in opposition so can't be counter-accused on a historical basis on economic or social policy. The leadership of Sinn Fein is untainted with any past historical associations and appears quite capable when it comes to senior hurling.

I'd much rather be in the smoky room with the Sinn Fein strategists rather than FFoGGy strategists right now :)
Really?

Marcos the black

How can I answer a question that has no answer, simply because not all coalitions have occurred yet. I was trying to be polite to you at least during the phony war stage.
Wow...
So you thought I asked you about the outcome of all future coalitions... Jesus.
Ok, I'll be clearer... In the past, when coalitions were over, did all coalition partners join into one party?

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom