A new day, a new Govt

Expose the lot of them

You don't consider the possibility that Lahart's very public opposition to the current deal had something to do with it?

I presume by that you mean she is Pro-Life which she is. Nevertheless she is also a woman and Martin did not have armies of Pro-Choice female TDs to call upon.
I mean she is anti choice.

Expose the lot of them

I know nothing about this guy, but I'm gonna guess by the company he keeps that's he's a right wing parish pumper from the FG/ FF gene pool who would have little in common with SF or perhaps is even virulently anti SF and is grandstanding on his debut. Anyway we'll find out in time.
Disgruntled ex FF.

bang bang

Sf would have happily hopped into bed with either FF or FG (and the GP) - and the end result would still have been the same.
To enter government and have effect there is no other choice, this involves compromise, it's either that or perpetual opposition, unless voting patterns change drastically.

Uganda

Again - I blame the maths teacher

Not surprisingly - you grossly underestimate the tax paid in Ireland and grossly overestimate the tax paid in Germany on the same income. You also ignore the significantly better public services in Germany paid in part by that taxation in comparison to this country.
and I ignore the weather in Germany, and the language, and many other things.

your point is?

Uganda

Sf would have happily hopped into bed with either FF or FG (and the GP) - and the end result would still have been the same.
for once I agree with you - in the first part of your statement at any rate.

not quite sure the result would have been the same though.

making waves

and I ignore the weather in Germany, and the language, and many other things.

your point is?
My point is that your numbers are wrong - and by extension - the claims you are making are wrong (as usual).

Gin Soaked

Universal income paid to everybody by the State. Regardless of income you get it, thus not punishing people who go out to work, the way other welfare is clawed back once you start earning. Far cheaper and easier to administer as well.
My concerns are around people who don't work, but don't need money getting it. There are independently wealthy people out there. I know a fair few who pay nothing in tax, but at least I'm not paying for them.

Would UI also fund housing benefits or would those remain a parallel means tested system?

making waves

My concerns are around people who don't work, but don't need money getting it. There are independently wealthy people out there. I know a fair few who pay nothing in tax, but at least I'm not paying for them.
Wealthy people who do not pay tax deprive society of badly needed public services and decrease living standards for the rest of the population.

making waves

I presume by that you mean she is Pro-Life which she is. Nevertheless she is also a woman and Martin did not have armies of Pro-Choice female TDs to call upon.
Anti-choice does not mean 'pro-life' - it means that their concern for human beings stops the moment that they are born.

Clipper

You are. The fact that they dont pay their fair share of tax means the burden falls on others to fill the gap, including you.

There is a world of difference between those who can't pay and those who can but refuse to do so.

redneck

Martin had to pander to the right-wing, rural, religious rump - and he needed to appoint a woman - she got the job by default and, like every other right-wing education minister, she will be shite at it.
Right wing, rural, religous rump? More like a lot of decent hard working families. A lot of the Ulster Unionists are fairly "anti choice" too.
Would you classify them as right wing, rural and religous. Regarding Norma Foley, well I wish her well. She has very little experiance in government though.

RossN

Anti-choice does not mean 'pro-life' - it means that their concern for human beings stops the moment that they are born.
Well at least you admit that the unborn are human beings which is more than many Pro-Choice people do.

Gin Soaked

You are. The fact that they dont pay their fair share of tax means the burden falls on others to fill the gap, including you.

There is a world of difference between those who can't pay and those who can but refuse to do so.
Fair point. Suppose UI would mean I'm paying twice.

One is living off ex pat ex husband earnings overseas. She doesn't vote and b1tches about the government here. I regularly point out that she's not really Irish (she is, born and raised, but that's not MY point).

Still think there is too much opportunity to game universal income and too many gaps that would still need means testing.

Can't see why welfare and revenue can't operate more closely. And Health and driver licencing.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Would UI also fund housing benefits or would those remain a parallel means tested system?
Good question...I suppose the theory behind UI is that it covers what one needs to live a basic life...presumably that includes the cost of renting a house built by the State?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom