A New Econcomic Strategy For the Post Brexit Trump Post IDA Ireland

gleeful

Trump is already begining to wake up to the fact that U.S. Presidents cannot simply do as they please. That and the fact that as POTUS he will suddenly have access to the kind of secret info most of the world will never see.

I would wager everything I have that's just one of the off the cuff campaign pieces that is quietly never heard of again.

That aside, I asked which EU government has called for the US to be kicked out NATO?
I don't know who claimed that they had. Did you make that up?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The Americans have been complaining for years about their having to fund the largest part of NATO's budget.

Then again are they willing to cede control of NATO to Europeans either via NATO command or via any other structure if Europe takes up the slack in terms of NATO budgets?

Probably not. So the question then becomes why would the EU pay the US's bill for wanting troops they command up against the Russian borders?

NATO has always been an American owned and run creature. If they don't want to pay for that position then they should hand over control of it along with their unwillingness to pay for it.

Under no circumstances should EU countries be paying the bills for NATO and having it play strategic games with Russia at Washington's beck and call.

As it happens I think NATO is a f*cking shambles and the Ukraine invasion demonstrated that in spades. NATO had plenty of sources and agents inside Ukraine, had plenty of satellite and other intel and rooms full of strategic intelligence analysts and still got blindsided by Russian special forces simply breaking down into smaller units and popping up inside the Ukraine overnight without NATO having a clue what was going on.

NATO top command should have been removed for that shambles alone.

rainmaker

Administrator
I don't know who claimed that they had. Did you make that up?
No, I'm proving my point that not one single EU or NATO member has ever demanded the United States be kicked out of NATO or Europe - so basically you were stating your personal opinion as fact with no support. Again.

gleeful

No, I'm proving my point that not one single EU or NATO member has ever demanded the United States be kicked out of NATO or Europe - so basically you were stating your personal opinion as fact with no support. Again.
I can see you are using your old tactic - when losing an argument, lie and change the subject.

My point was that EU countries combined have a larger military than Russia by a factor of 4. That is undeniable.

rainmaker

Administrator
I can see you are using your old tactic - when losing an argument, lie and change the subject.
You're not coming across as a very ethical poster - you clearly stated:

We need to expel the US military from Europe and NATO and as a continent defend ourselves.
I asked you what support for this action there was in the EU and you finally ceded there was none - so as I said, it was your just your personal opinion being spouted as fact with no support.

Now, can you develop some ethics and show me where I am supposed to have 'lied'?

gleeful

You're not coming across as a very ethical poster - you clearly stated:

I asked you what support for this action there was in the EU and you finally ceded there was none - so as I said, it was your just your personal opinion being spouted as fact with no support.

Now, can you develop some ethics and show me where I am supposed to have 'lied'?
Did I claim a EU state had this opinion? Did I claim I am an EU state perhaps? Or am I wrong that p.ie is a political discussion site?

rainmaker

Administrator
Did I claim a EU state had this opinion? Did I claim I am an EU state perhaps? Or am I wrong that p.ie is a political discussion site?
No, and I never claimed you did say that - I simply asked if there was any support for your claim the US should be expelled from the EU & NATO:

We need to expel the US military from Europe and NATO and as a continent defend ourselvess .
http://www.politics.ie/forum/economy/252478-new-econcomic-strategy-post-brexit-trump-post-ida-ireland.html#post10712995

You're right, it is a political discussion site - so when you make pretty huge claims others are within their rights to question the validity those claims.

yosef shompeter

Is this the correct place to post this? A question of nes and yo! :confused:
Last night on the box I tuned into the Claire Byrne show. To my amazement there was a clip put together by Tom MgGuirk, a fairly independent-minded, loose-cannon, live-squib, unexploded-bomb journalist whose columns appear in the Indo and Sindo.
The clip was listing all the advantages of an Irexit: Maintaining our links with the UK., Maintaining the common travel area, regaining control over our currency regaining our ability to control migration
and the disadvantages of --You choose {staying, clinging to, malingering, skulking}
in Euroland.
Of course Richard Bruton was on the panel and quite able to overwhelm the notion that Ireland would be better off outside the EU and he had all the facts and figures at on the tip of his tongue.
Ms Byrne mentioned that even a couple of weeks back, the very suggestion of such a move would never have found its way onto mainstream media.
Not one to derail my own thread, but if it sharpens our minds on the question of: How do we put bread on the table in a world that is changing or threatening to change so dynamically and right before our eyes.

And yes, I have one answer to that question for you.
The wrong way to go about things is to allow ourselves to become a high-cost country. Now that even the rag-and-bone men our now out petitioning for a pay-rise -- while they have every right and justification -- especially now the Fatcats, TDs, Luas drivers, Bus drivers, Hospital consultants, Civil servants and landlords have got theirs, this stampede could have the effect that they price Ireland inc out of the markets.
We'll end up barefoot and pregnant on the streets of Brussels and Berlin looking for hand-outs and bail-outs again.
But call that last bond re-negotiation terms or repayment span negotiation or some such neutral term.:|

Spanner Island

With Trump win comes expectations for interest rates to rise

Ah sure 'tis grand. Everything'll work out just hunky-dorey.

Well I hopes so. But just in case we run into some major turbulence I thought that I should engage the finest minds in the Irish media both on the home front and abroad -- to be found here on Pie.ie of course.

Prologue. Since the ca. 1950 we have had a strategy of inviting in "winners" among the Captains of Industry to locate here and provide gainful employment for our workforce. This strategy has worked well. It has been fine-tuned over the years. e.g. Tax-free income on exports abolished to stay EU-conform. The 12.5% corporation tax introduced by CJ ( I believe). Now with the IFC we attract in Service industries and Finance houses. But now to put it mildly it would appear that we will be dealing with head-winds or even worse, there will be severe turbulence ahead.
1)Trump wants to bring the jobs back to America and will likely reduce the rate of corporation tax in the U.S to ca. 15%. If that doesn't work it would be a small step to reduce it to 12.5%.
2) The Europeans have our tax regulations --or absence of regulations :shock: under their microscope and in true Euro fashion they want to harmonize --- eh centralize everthing under some bureaucracy stationed in Brussels Berlin or Frankurt or somewhere over there. Well as you know capital tends to centralize itself... be close to the markets... how can we lure the magnates to locate here (other than by cheap wages)?
3) The Brits will likely be buying their food-products on the cheap from New Zealand, Argentina etc now that they are exiting the EU and the EU customs union.
4) Oh yes, that last gnawing worry, Interest rates. It would seem that the US federal reserve is finally fixing the ties to raise interest rates. This will likely have an effect on the Euro interest rates too, so tough times ahead for those on trackers and likely for anyone on a mortgage.

Punchline:
I put it to the house .... or the floor whatever, even to the furniture or wallpaper: How are we going to put bread on the table from the 217's on.
Should we attempt to start our own indigenous industries like the Asian strategy: Sony, Huaewii, Toyota, Toshiba (But Euro membership would prevent us sinking the currency value so as to make products cheap).
Should we go all out for services... try to replicate the London Financial Services Industry.
Should we take it all passively. Rely on fishing, agriculture and tourism and whatever firms we manage persuade to locate here. Twill all be grand, like.
To add some sauce to the mixture I point out that we will be more and more net contributors to the EU over the coming years and of course the interest rate on our debt will be felt more keenly and our population is aging too.
First things first... we need to get serious about infrastructure... specifically broadband which successive governments have paid lip service to while failing miserably to deliver. I'm beyond fed up listening to a'hole politicians banging on about this...

We should be the South Korea of Europe in terms of broadband. We are not a big country and should have fast nationwide broadband.

Ireland needs to get serious about this and f***ing well deliver on it.

Also a rail link to Dublin Airport is needed... as well as the second runway which hopefully will get underway soon enough.

Apart from that... tourism, agriculture and renewable energy are where we could excel globally...

More support is needed for tech start ups here too... and encouragement to grow them and keep them here instead of seeing them sold off to the MNCs as soon as they start getting somewhere...

We had Baltimore Technology and Iona back in the early noughties...

Both employed a lot of people for a while... although unfortunately both didn't make it... but we should be trying to encourage indigenous companies like that again...

Ireland is one of two places on Earth that has the perfect climate for data/server farms.

Sadly however, Ireland has a f***ed up planning system that enables some tool in Wicklow to object to Apple's server facility/data farm in Athenry and mire it in gridlock.

We need to sort out this f***ing shambles too.

Our third level education institutions continue to fall down the global rankings... due mainly to a lack of funding... which is down to 'free' third level education.

Third level fees should never have been abolished and should be re-introduced.

Last edited:

patslatt

BIG TAX DISINCENTIVES

Capital gains tax of 33% compares with about 10% in NI and Britain for startups and most Irish tech startups are heading to London. The last budget made a token tax reduction for startups that is still totally uncompetitive with the UK.

Income tax rates of around 50% on income just above the average are a major deterrent to highly skilled immigrant business people and an incentive to depart for business people here.

The government is overtaxing the economy to pay public sector wages that are among the highest in the the EU and at levels appropriate to the year 2030 if pay were the same as the private sector average as in France and Germany.

Shpake

BIG TAX DISINCENTIVES

Capital gains tax of 33% compares with about 10% in NI and Britain for startups and most Irish tech startups are heading to London. The last budget made a token tax reduction for startups that is still totally uncompetitive with the UK.

Income tax rates of around 50% on income just above the average are a major deterrent to highly skilled immigrant business people and an incentive to depart for business people here.

The government is overtaxing the economy to pay public sector wages that are among the highest in the the EU and at levels appropriate to the year 2030 if pay were the same as the private sector average as in France and Germany.
The rest of the world has discovered that tax obligation has turned global.
[A big topic in itself with all sorts of implications for fairness, business promotion or even survival of a state's social services but I will leave this to another thread.]
I thought Ireland was keyed into the global side of taxation from way back in the days of CJ haughey.
They seemed to have overlooked Capital Gains Tax
and then of course there's Inheritance tax.
You gotta get your money from somewhere.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies