• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

A new lowpoint: Sitting government MP signs on for reality TV show.

Sync

Well this is depressing. We've had an MP in the past appear on a reality show, but not one associated with the main parties.

Tory MP Nadine Dorries is under fire over her decision to join ITV1's I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here.

Ms Dorries, who represents Mid Bedfordshire, will be the first MP to take part in the show.

But she could be in Australia, where it is filmed, for a month, potentially missing important Commons votes.

Giving her reaction, Home Secretary Theresa May said: "Frankly, I think an MP's job is in their constituency and in the House of Commons"
How could she think this is a good idea? She's going to miss critical votes on Europe and y'know....representing her constituents for the month.

It's also damaging for the reformist voices in the Tory party pushing to get more women onto shortlists to have a second female MP in a matter of months treating the job like a vehicle for their private interests.

Cameron's probably quite happy about it, it gives him an excuse to push another candidate in the next election (He doesn't like Dorries, and she doesn't like him), but the entire thing is embarrassing for the government, and will continue to be an embarrassment for the period she's over there.

emulator

Crazy. Surely they can stop her in some way ? Emergency meeting or something and fire her out before it goes too far. I don't think she's just embarrassing the CP she's making a mockery of the Parliamentary System over there.

Can you imagine one of our bunch going over. Jasus, maybe they'd take Reilly for a month to try and keep him out of trouble.

off with their heads

we could send Frank feighan over to stand in for this person would be like for like really;)

ShoutingIsLeadership

Sync, can you update the OP to include a picture of Georgia Salpa and an update on whether she will be taking part in this show, please?

Much love.

Ribeye

Northsideman

She has now been suspended by the Tory party.

Analyzer

Was Healy Rae Junior a TD when he was in a Pravda Celebrity soap opera ?

Can't remember now.

Ribeye

shoneen

Sure wasn't Mammy Lenihan on Celebrity Banisteoir for all of one episode before she decided she couldn't be ar$ed turning up anymore.

Davidoff

It's slightly shocking.

They used to say that politics was show business for ugly people.

But it's gone beyond that now and some MP's seem to regard their parliamentary careers as a stepping stone onto the somewhat more lucrative celebrity circuit.

I suppose it's a natural consequence of the ever more trivial and debased nature of popular culture in the UK.

Naturally we won't be far behind.

human 19

It's slightly shocking.

They used to say that politics was show business for ugly people.

But it's gone beyond that now and some MP's seem to regard their parliamentary careers as a stepping stone onto the somewhat more lucrative celebrity circuit.

I suppose it's a natural consequence of the ever more trivial and debased nature of popular culture in the UK.

Naturally we won't be far behind.
How about celebrity concentration camp?

sandar

as a liberal democrat activist I would like to thank ms dorries for doanrting her seat to us in 2015-it will be most welcome!

lying eyes

Sure wasn't Mammy Lenihan on Celebrity Banisteoir for all of one episode before she decided she couldn't be ar$ed turning up anymore.

No No She suddendly realised that she would have to actually WORK>>>>>>>>

Last edited:

Mr. Bumble

How about celebrity concentration camp?
How about Celebrity Executions? Kind of a quiz show where the person who gets the most questions wrong is executed by firing squad. Have it on every Saturday night after the Angelus when daddy gets home from the pub and mammy is drinking her first glass of wine.

Members of the public could write in for seats in the audience and have a lotto type draw for who gets to be in the firing squad. Celebrities could be picked at random from the pages of Hello and from political party websites.

It could be called Shoot The Stars.
Or: The Execute Factor
Or: Have I Got A Bullet For You

CookieMonster

as a liberal democrat activist I would like to thank ms dorries for doanrting her seat to us in 2015-it will be most welcome!
Ha!

CookieMonster

You have to wonder about the judgement used by people like this when it comes to commons votes etc. I mean if they'd risk their career for a bit of celebrity what sort of decisions are they making on behalf of their constituents? It's not like she needed the support as she won pretty comfortably last time out.

Mr. Bumble

You have to wonder about the judgement used by people like this when it comes to commons votes etc. I mean if they'd risk their career for a bit of celebrity what sort of decisions are they making on behalf of their constituents? It's not like she needed the support as she won pretty comfortably last time out.
The Tory party has always been particularly endowed with strange and disconnected nutters. Tebbit, Hamilton, Cash, Redwood spring to mind.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies