• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

a nuclear armed ireland?

forest

Complete hypothetical thread
But was watching something the other day about the US election and it mentioned iran and the Nuclear issue
Its showed a map of all Nuclear armed states
If ireland for what ever reason decided it wanted the bomb other than cash what is actually stopping us doing it
or whats stopping other countries dont mean like Iran and N.Korea but Spain or Canada or Italy

Ruff says Flaherty

We're doing a good enough job going nuclear here all by ourselves, no need for outside aides.

Ulster-Lad

The Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.

myksav

We ratified the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty in 1968.

As much of a nuke power fan as I am, I think the idea of Ireland developing nuclear weapons is daft.
Anyway, having a "bomb" is meaningless without a delivery system. petunia

Anyhoo, can you already hear the screams of NIMBY for any launch sites? Jays but just listen to the screams over wind turbines!
I wouldn't have too many problems with a nuke power plant beside my house (heck, that'd drop the value so much the Gov't would owe me money in prop tax. :lol: ), there can be thermal advantages but a nuke launch site beside my house? No thanks. That'd be awkward, not the nukes themselves but imagine the security clearance hassle being that close to a launch site? Dayum!

stopdoingstuff

The Nuclear Non Proliferation Treaty only applies if the USA says it applies.
Pat LaMarche: U.S. Poised to Violate Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty

As for us having a nuke, I can't see how it would add to our security. If we ever used it, we would be flattened, and if it ever got to the stage that someone was going to nuke us, we would probably be in some sort of global crisis where everyone is screwed anyway. I mean, I'd still love if we had one just so as we could wave our lads around at the UN. but I would definitely not support us actually acquiring one.

Ribeye

When your enemies walk amongst you, nukes aren't a very effective weapon!

cnocpm

We are sorted,the fella from moneygall has a load of them.

ruserious

Instead of fertilizer bombs, we could make turf bombs. Ming on the next campaign trail would be known as a turf war.

Dadaist

What if Ireland decided to initiate it's own solo space programme?

What if Ireland decided to build the worlds tallest building?

Is this thread a wind up, or wha?

Kevin Ryan

The Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.
That's not all.

Under Section 2 of the Nuclear Test Ban Act of 2008, the following is also illegal:

(1) A person who carries out, or causes the carrying out of, a nuclear explosion in the State shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) An Irish citizen who carries out, or causes the carrying out of, a nuclear explosion outside the State shall be guilty of an offence.

Nuclear Test Ban Act 2008

Amusingly, the Nuclear Test Ban Bill of 2006, as originally drafted, designated the carrying out of a nuclear explosion as a either a summary offence (leading to a €5,000 fine or 6 months imprisonment) or an offence leading to conviction on indictment with a potential for a fine of €50,000 or a massive 2 year term of imprisonment.
Dáil Eireann - 08/Jul/2008 Nuclear Test Ban Bill 2006: From the Seanad.

Yes, a 2 year term of imprisonment. However the law is now clear: nuking Ireland can lead to life imprisonment.

pragmaticapproach

Complete hypothetical thread
But was watching something the other day about the US election and it mentioned iran and the Nuclear issue
Its showed a map of all Nuclear armed states
If ireland for what ever reason decided it wanted the bomb other than cash what is actually stopping us doing it
or whats stopping other countries dont mean like Iran and N.Korea but Spain or Canada or Italy
If the Irish state in some hypothetical scenario seriously wanted to develop nuclear weapons they could achieve it in a relatively short period of time. We have a more than sufficient pool of talent in the area of physics and engineering not only in Ireland but the diaspora abroad.

It would not take years like it has in Iran, we already have the expertise that could easily be sourced if really needed.

Roll_On

The question is, how do you know we haven't already done so?

olli rehn

What about spud missiles as a launch system for the nukes ?

olli rehn

We could easily grow them ourselves....and it would be a true organic war toy for a cleaner environment....

pragmaticapproach

We could easily grow them ourselves....and it would be a true organic war toy for a cleaner environment....
:lol:

Joking aside I do honestly think the development of nuclear weapons by this nation would be easily achievable. As much as some of the more self hating posters on this site would like to think, we are not some third world basket case.

We are an extremely well connected, English speaking nation with a massive diaspora(first generation and beyond) and could easily source the necessary expertise.