A Private Members bill in Westminster may finally bring same sex marriage to Northern Ireland

USER1234

Labour MP to table Bill at Westminster to extend same-sex marriage to Northern Ireland

A Labour MP is to table a Private Members Bill at Westminster proposing the extension of same-sex marriage to Northern Ireland.

Conor McGinn, who is originally from Co. Armagh, plans to introduce a Ten Minute Rule Bill on the issue at the end of March.

The MP for St Helens in Merseyside said people in Northern Ireland “can’t wait for their basic rights any longer”.

He wants Westminster to take action given the current political impasse in the North, with the Bill expected to be introduced on March 28.

Speaking on the BBC’s Daily Politics programme, Mr McGinn said: “My preference would be for a fully-functioning power-sharing Executive and Assembly to do this but people can't wait for their basic rights any longer.

“And that’s why I’ve take the decision, along with my colleagues in the Labour Party and others I’m sure, to push through this at Westminster.”

There have been five attempts to introduce same-sex marriage through the Northern Ireland Assembly.

The latest vote in November 2015 was the first to receive a majority vote in favour, but was blocked by a DUP petition of concern.

Asked if handing the decision to Westminster would have repercussions in the North, Mr McGinn refuted suggestions the matter was a sectarian issue.

He also said that the DUP can’t complain if Westminster acts on equal marriage, given they have themselves called for direct rule while the stalemate in the North continues.

“This is not about people being Unionist or Nationalist, it’s not even about people being gay or being married, it’s about people being equal,” said Mr McGinn.

“If my constituents of the same sex who love their partner can get married in St Helens, if people can in Cardiff and in Edinburgh and in Dublin, then they should be able to do so in Belfast as well.”

Secretary of State Karen Bradley has said MPs would be given a free vote on the Bill and that the Conservative Party won't whip the vote “on matters of conscience such as equal marriage”.
Full Story: Irishpost.co.uk - Labour MP to table Bill at Westminster to extend same-sex marriage to Northern Ireland

My Comments:

1) I hope it passes

2) This time the DUP cant use their nasty & undemocratic petition of concern to block it

Dame_Enda

Even if it gets passed at first, the govt can kill it in Committee. But good luck to McGinn's bill.

Filibuster

Maybe the DUP will go completely 16th century and take down the British government, inadvertently saving us all from Brexit?

Dame_Enda

Why would they bother?
To keep their working majority in the Commons? Theres no doubt though that they will lose this issue longterm or even medium term, as a Labour govt is if anything much more likely to legislate for this issue. On Newsnight last night it mentioned polls of DUP supporters showing its an even split on this issue (around 43-43) among them.

Sheeple_Waker

Nice irony of history here considering their statelet owes its existence to anti-democratic Westminster manoeuvring in the 1910s.

Aghalissabeagh

is a New Labour MP, anti-Corbyn, son of a SF councillor, the best choice to bring something like this forward.
I get the feeling this is a solo run by Conor to get back in the media spotlight. He has form!

raetsel

The British Labour Party have unfinished business to attend to in respect of the St. Andrews Agreement but this isn't part of that, irrespective of how worthy it might be. The Irish Language Act legislation promised in that deal is an essential component of any agreement to restore devolution, and the local politicians cannot now give ground on it, either way, without losing face.
This is more window-dressing. The real business is elsewhere.

Emily Davison

blinding

Well this is good news. Hope it succeeds. Might be easier if it's done this way. Then the DUP won't have to have anything to do with it and can blame London.
I would say this is the sort of thing the Dup really want . If London does this and the Irish language act then the Dup can throw their hands in the air and say , sure its not what we want but we can do nothing about it . The Dup do not want / need Stormont at the moment . They are enjoying their position. They have a certain influence over the Tory government which they will use for as much Financial Extraction as possible . While the Westminster numbers stay the way they are , Why would the Dup worry about Stormont or much else for that matter .

PeacefulViking

Private member's bills don't often get to a vote since there is not time to deal with them.

GDPR

Its a ten minute rule bill, which means the sponsoring MP is given a slot on a Tuesday or a Wednesday afternoon in which they make a speech lasting up to 10 minutes in support of his or her bill.

If another MP objects strongly, they can speak against it for another ten minutes, but the bill is not allocated any other speaking time, and stands very little chance of becoming law.

I would say Conor is hoping to flush out a demented DUPer, just to embarrass the govt further.

GDPR

But gosh, where on earth is he going to find a demented DUPer?

(he asked innocently)
The thing is Mitzi, a DUPer would make a flight from Florida to speak for ten minutes against an SSM bill. They live for these moments. Ian Paisley jnr only ever appears in WM when someone is discussing teh gayz or abortion...

USER1234

Bill on legalising same-sex marriage in Northern Ireland to go before Commons

The Marriage (Same Sex Couples) (Northern Ireland) Bill will be tabled by Labour MP Conor McGinn on Wednesday.

It will be introduced under the Ten Minute Rule, which allows for an MP to make the case for a new Private Members’ Bill for up to 10 minutes, after which an opposing speech may be made.

MPs then vote on whether the bill should advance to its first reading stage.

This would be the first step towards same-sex marriage in Northern Ireland being legislated for directly from Westminster, although the Bill would face a lengthy passage through the House of Commons and House of Lords.

Mr McGinn - who was brought up in Northern Ireland - announced his plans to introduce the Private Member’s Bill last month, after Northern Ireland Secretary of State Karen Bradley said the Government would allow a free vote due to it being a matter of conscience.
Full Story: Belfast Telegraph - Bill on legalising same-sex marriage in Northern Ireland to go before Commons

New Threads

Most Replies