• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

A Question About Septic Tanks Legislation

ticketyboo

Ok, people. I have a question regarding the septic tanks furore.
Could a demand by the EU or the Department of the Environment to upgrade an EXISTING septic tank be construed as being illegal as it is an application of retrospective legislation?
To digress slightly, but only slightly, the government has made the argument that it cannot take retrospective action in relation to such as bankers pensions or lump sums, etc. So how can a demand to upgrade that which was perfectly legal at the time of its construction be legally enforceable?
I could well understand and give a grudging support to the notion that from the time of the directive being implemented, that henceforth all new dwellings be subject to the new standard, but not, as I say, retrospective actions. Otherwise what new demands could be made for principle residences or indeed other aspects to our lives?
I don't know for certain what is the correct answer, but I would like to throw it open to the floor.
No tyre kickers, please.

wishywashy

Ok, people. I have a question regarding the septic tanks furore.
Could a demand by the EU or the Department of the Environment to upgrade an EXISTING septic tank be construed as being illegal as it is an application of retrospective legislation?
To digress slightly, but only slightly, the government has made the argument that it cannot take retrospective action in relation to such as bankers pensions or lump sums, etc. So how can a demand to upgrade that which was perfectly legal at the time of its construction be legally enforceable?
I could well understand and give a grudging support to the notion that from the time of the directive being implemented, that henceforth all new dwellings be subject to the new standard, but not, as I say, retrospective actions. Otherwise what new demands could be made for principle residences or indeed other aspects to our lives?
I don't know for certain what is the correct answer, but I would like to throw it open to the floor.
No tyre kickers, please.

The powers that be,led from the front by that most savage of muck savages,the boy from Brazil Hogan,will do what suits them.

wombat

I'd say provided there is a reasonable lead time, they probably can force someone to meet new standards. I'm thinking of the introduction of the emission limits in the NCT.

ticketyboo

I'd say provided there is a reasonable lead time, they probably can force someone to meet new standards. I'm thinking of the introduction of the emission limits in the NCT.
Interesting..cheers.

The Field Marshal

Time to start dismantling the grotesque dictatorship of the EU.

Cynicist

If governments, local authority planners and house builders of the past had any environmental understanding, we would not have ended up with septic tanks to the unacceptable specifications used for decades.

Now government gets on its high horse (meat scandal has nothing on this) and demands everyone gets updated with little regard for most of us unable to meet yet another cost of ineptitude.

Those living on the border found many ways to thwart the customs men so now we should employ similar tactics when inspectors come calling. You would need to come back when the boss is at home is a good one.

TARZAN

Another question. Septic tanks are only to be used for waste from toilets . Showers , kitchen waste water [dish washers etc] require a separate pipe leading towards a soak pit . In that case if a person's septic tank fails to meet EU legislation and they cannot afford to upgrade do they have the option of opening a latrine in their back yard for toilet purposes ?

wishywashy

Another question. Septic tanks are only to be used for waste from toilets . Showers , kitchen waste water [dish washers etc] require a separate pipe leading towards a soak pit . In that case if a person's septic tank fails to meet EU legislation and they cannot afford to upgrade do they have the option of opening a latrine in their back yard for toilet purposes ?

With respect,I think you might be wrong in that assertion.

wombat

Because they insist on septic tanks being safe and clean?
Mattie is not even original.
There was a guy who ran for election in Papua New Guinea who's slogan was "Vote for Mr Sh1t"

ticketyboo

I don't. People who own septic tanks should pay for their upkeep just as people who own gutters should pay for their upkeep.
Fine and dandy. In general they do. Woe betide us if we don't, if you get my DRIFT.
But what about the substantive question I asked? I would hope it doesn't degenerate into rural/urban insult exchange. Is it fair to impose a whole new set of standards on an existing structure like this. My slant is that it's fair to say from this day forward we need to do this better, based on the ideas I set out in the OP. Have you an opinion on this?

teapot

I wondered if you might just tell them 'We shlt on the ground...' and let them prove otherwise. After all, all them cows and sheep and the farmers' dogs do, and nobody bothers much about them.

im axeled

whats getting up mu nose is, people used the guidelines set out in leglistation when building septic tanks, some of which cost 5k to build, could people be after wasting that amount, then now find them in bigger schit so to speak.

culmore

Why did the kerryman sh1t on the table. To keep the flies off the butter. Just sh1t outside the door and the inspectors won't come back

Orbit v2

The NCT emissions test is based on the standards that applied when the car was bought first. So, maybe you could make a similar case for septic tanks - at least you could if the standards were actually less stringent when your house was built, which doesn't sound that much of a stretch.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies