• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

A question regarding community centres

Monchichi

I've learned tonight that the parish priest has banned yoga classes from our local community centre. My question is simple, has he the right to discriminate in this manner?

eoghanacht

:lol:

Like something out of Farther Ted. Thank you poster the thought of that made me laugh.

edifice.

I've learned tonight that the parish priest has banned yoga classes from our local community centre. My question is simple, has he the right to discriminate in this manner?
He may have the power to do so..........doesn't make it right though.

eoghanacht

I assume thats not the same place the OP is on about rus, is it?

I also assume that it's the Churches Parish centre and not a 'community centre' as such?

ruserious

I assume thats not the same place the OP is on about rus, is it?

I also assume that it's the Churches Parish centre and not a 'community centre' as such?
Different place, same narrow mindedness.

eoghanacht

Catholicism is so vague and shaky they feel they could be undermined by some one teaching stretching/breathing exercises?

eoghanacht

electoralshock

I remember in the mid 90's, my dad was running indoor soccer in the local community centre. It was on the same time as mass. Before Mass started the newly appointed Priest came over to the Community and demanded that the indoor soccer be called off and that the kids should all come go to Mass. My dad told him "you mind your business over there and I might my business over here." The Priest didn't bother us ever again!

pragmaticapproach

If its on church property and the priest is the custodian of that property then its at his discretion. No different from a Jewish community center banning pork and swastikas.

If it bothers you that much organise a boycott or alternatively whoever teaches the yoga class will have to find another venue. This is what happens when parish halls become the focal point of a community. I suspect this is more common in longer established localities. Community centers in more recently developed areas tend not to be on Catholic church property.

Seanie Lemass

I remember in the mid 90's, my dad was running indoor soccer in the local community centre. It was on the same time as mass. Before Mass started the newly appointed Priest came over to the Community and demanded that the indoor soccer be called off and that the kids should all come go to Mass. My dad told him "you mind your business over there and I might my business over here." The Priest didn't bother us ever again!

I'd say you made that up in fairness :)

Reminds me of the Spanish Civil War. Such heroism!

ruserious

What sort of a community centres bans a practice from a particular community?
As far as I knew, the community extended beyond Catholics.

pragmaticapproach

I'd say you made that up in fairness :)

Reminds me of the Spanish Civil War. Such heroism!
I doubt it, not everyone is brainwashed with the rural mucksavage, hurling after mass, tug your forlocks to padre mentality which you've obviously been.

Still, if its on church property its padres call.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies