• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

A quick question in respect to social welfare

Monchichi

I hope I've posted this to the correct forum.

I've been at long last successful in finding a job after being out of work for over 12 months. In the past while I have totally exhausted any savings I had and am living on the dole week to week.

My wife is recovering from cancer treatment and as a result is on illness benefit we have 2 small children. I live in the west and have scored a job in Dublin that I'm made up about. I'll need a place in Dublin only I have zero means to put down a deposit and survive till my 1st payday which will be 4 weeks after my start date.

Can anybody tell me if there is any assistance offered by SW given the fact that I'll finally be out of their hair for good?

eoghanacht

Community welfare officer might be your best bet mate. But I wouldn't hold my breath, is there any family you could borrow off in the mean time.

Congrats and good luck

I've been at long last successful in finding a job after being out of work for over 12 months. In the past while I have totally exhausted any savings I had and am living on the dole week to week.

My wife is recovering from cancer treatment and as a result is on illness benefit we have 2 small children. I live in the west and have scored a job in Dublin that I'm made up about. I'll need a place in Dublin only I have zero means to put down a deposit and survive till my 1st payday which will be 4 weeks after my start date.

Can anybody tell me if there is any assistance offered by SW given the fact that I'll finally be out of their hair for good?
I've no idea, but the very very best of luck. When do you start and where is the job?

Bill

don't know, but best of luck with the new job

thegregster

You should explain your situation to your employer and asked to be paid weekly for the first couple of months for starters. They should be able to help you. They would understand your situation.

Also talk to the Welfare officer as others have said.

True Republican

you should borrow money off family or friends to tie you over. Best of luck in the new job.

louis bernard

Have a quiet word with your local St Vincent de Paul and ask them to speak to their counterparts in Dublin. They network with each other well. I am sure they will sort you out with a deposit and you can pay them back when you get on your feet. Best of luck to you and I hope everything works out well.

Monchichi

Thanks for the rapid responses! I'll try the welfare officer. Hate the thoughts of tapping my family they've already done so much for us that they can ill afford. I'll also have a word with payroll when I start my job getting paid weekly would be a big help altho finding €800 odd for a deposit will still be a major issue.

Thanks very much for all the good wishes I really appreciate them.

Thanks for the rapid responses! I'll try the welfare officer. Hate the thoughts of tapping my family they've already done so much for us that they can ill afford. I'll also have a word with payroll when I start my job getting paid weekly would be a big help altho finding €800 odd for a deposit will still be a major issue.

Thanks very much for all the good wishes I really appreciate them.
I've often paid out relocation expenses to new recruits - and sometimes on a loan basis. It might be worth mentioning it...

RightCentreLeft

Depends on your income etc..

Just a few things which might be of assistance.

Rent Supplement
Family Income Supplement
Revenue Job Assist

If you can tell me your expected weekly earnings and family circumstances I can tell you exactly what you are entitled to. I work in this area.

Just as a random act of kindness and in consideration of your situation (and the fact that I know what it is like to be long term unemployed) I am willing to personally donate €50 as a small help. Just PM your bank details.

asset test

Would you consider renting a room in a house share while working, and go back at weekends?

Far better value for part time in Dublin. But that may not be your cup of tea.

True Republican

apologies i forgot to mention that i sincerely hope that your wife recovers fully.

Expose the lot of them

Your one recourse is the Community Welfare officer, your social welfare payments cease on the day you start work. I suggest that, if you have no alternative source of funds, visit the community welfare officer immediately, explain your situation and you should receive some support.

It is disgraceful that there is no support for individuals returning to work after a period of unemployment, I have suggested to both the Social Welfare office and to the office of the Minister that a small booklet or A4 sheet is given to everyone signing off giving them details of what supports are available - they are few and far between but there are a few.

Revenue Assist - when you contact the tax office, make sure to let them know that you have been unemployed for over 12 months, I assume that you have been on job seekers allowance, tell them this, it is important as jobseekers allowance is tax free but jobseekers benefit is taxable. If you have a medical card, it important to make revenue aware of this as you will receive an extra tax credit. As you have been unemployed for over 12 month you will be able to retain your medical card for 3 years. I think you also pay a reduced USC.

I understand that the community welfare officers are now located in the Social welfare offices, check this out. You may be entitled to an "exceptional needs payment" to help you with accommodation and living expenses until you are paid.

Another poster has suggested that you ask your employer to pay you weekly, I would strongly recommend that you do not do this, companies that pay monthly are not set up to make weekly payments and while some employers may be understanding of your situation other may not.

PM me if you want to discuss this further.

Congratulations on your new job and I wish you the very best.

Monchichi

Would you consider renting a room in a house share while working, and go back at weekends?

Far better value for part time in Dublin. But that may not be your cup of tea.
I've found a place with a friend I worked with in Sligo and by the 2nd or 3rd month I should be in the clear. I'd rather get the place with him for the company being away from my family for the 1st time will be tough enough.

damus

OP go to the Departments Representative (formerly CWO) in your local health centre and apply for an urgent needs payment to cover the initial outlay. It is not means tested and when applying for it - tell them that you'll be prepared to enter in to an agreement to refund the Dept. all monies that is paid to you out of your salary - it should make it more palatable to them. Good luck.

Exceptional Needs Payments

Supplementary Welfare Allowance Scheme (SWA)

Monchichi

Your one recourse is the Community Welfare officer, your social welfare payments cease on the day you start work. I suggest that, if you have no alternative source of funds, visit the community welfare officer immediately, explain your situation and you should receive some support.

It is disgraceful that there is no support for individuals returning to work after a period of unemployment, I have suggested to both the Social Welfare office and to the office of the Minister that a small booklet or A4 sheet is given to everyone signing off giving them details of what supports are available - they are few and far between but there are a few.

Revenue Assist - when you contact the tax office, make sure to let them know that you have been unemployed for over 12 months, I assume that you have been on job seekers allowance, tell them this, it is important as jobseekers allowance is tax free but jobseekers benefit is taxable. If you have a medical card, it important to make revenue aware of this as you will receive an extra tax credit. As you have been unemployed for over 12 month you will be able to retain your medical card for 3 years. I think you also pay a reduced USC.

I understand that the community welfare officers are now located in the Social welfare offices, check this out. You may be entitled to an "exceptional needs payment" to help you with accommodation and living expenses until you are paid.

Another poster has suggested that you ask your employer to pay you weekly, I would strongly recommend that you do not do this, companies that pay monthly are not set up to make weekly payments and while some employers may be understanding of your situation other may not.

PM me if you want to discuss this further.

Congratulations on your new job and I wish you the very best.
Not keen on asking my new employer for help all I want from them is as much overtime as possible. I'll talk to the girl in the local SW office she's always been very helpful. If there is anything they can do I'm sure she'll help me out.

Monchichi

OP go to the Departments Representative (formerly CWO) in your local health centre and apply for an urgent needs payment to cover the initial outlay. It is not means tested and when applying for it - tell them that you'll be prepared to enter in to an agreement to refund the Dept. all monies that is paid to you out of your salary - it should make it more palatable to them. Good luck.

Exceptional Needs Payments

Supplementary Welfare Allowance Scheme (SWA)
Thanks for another great suggestion.

Monchichi

I'd like to reply to you all but I'm typing on my phone and its not the best for a long reply. If ye keep the suggestions rolling in I'll investigate all the options and let ye know how I get on.

Hewson

Depends on your income etc..

Just a few things which might be of assistance.

Rent Supplement
Family Income Supplement
Revenue Job Assist

If you can tell me your expected weekly earnings and family circumstances I can tell you exactly what you are entitled to. I work in this area.

Just as a random act of kindness and in consideration of your situation (and the fact that I know what it is like to be long term unemployed) I am willing to personally donate €50 as a small help. Just PM your bank details.
Likewise.