• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

A radical proposal: let counties opt out of any abortion legislation.

pragmaticapproach

Before some of the more conventionally minded posters ridicule my suggestion have a think about this for a moment. Instead of setting legislation nationally that applies to every part of the country, why not allow individual counties to opt out? National government could set the framework that counties would be free to legislate within.

Ireland is divided between more conservative rural counties, such as Donegal, Mayo, Kerry, Roscomon etc with a more liberal leaning population in the likes of Dublin, Kildare and Meath. Why should one block dominate the other to such a large extent?

Why should we not permit opt outs in some areas of legislation? Switzerlands cantons, many of which are smaller than some Irish counties have a great deal of local autonomy and can enact their own legislation, I see no reason why we could not make reforms that permit greater local freedom when it comes to legislation in many areas, abortion of which would be a prime example.

corkery

That would require a constitution referendum to completely re organize the way our country operates.

pragmaticapproach

Suttree

If they go ahead with a select number of facilities where terminations are permitted, that's effectively what's going to happen.

SKELLY

is there going to be a thread like this every time someone has a brain fart about abortion?

zoo please

pragmaticapproach

How many maternity hospitals do you think there are in the country?
Thats besides the point, Im talking about individual counties having the freedom to forbid or allow any facility or future facilities to carry out abortions.

Orbit v2

Why not? Let the most backward counties play the same ostrich game that the whole country has done for the last 20 years? It wouldn't make the slightest difference in practice of course...

pragmaticapproach

is there going to be a thread like this every time someone has a brain fart about abortion?

zoo please
Cant think outside the box? that your problem not mine.

pragmaticapproach

potholedogger

Before some of the more conventionally minded posters ridicule my suggestion have a think about this for a moment. Instead of setting legislation nationally that applies to every part of the country, why not allow individual counties to opt out? National government could set the framework that counties would be free to legislate within.

Ireland is divided between more conservative rural counties, such as Donegal, Mayo, Kerry, Roscomon etc with a more liberal leaning population in the likes of Dublin, Kildare and Meath. Why should one block dominate the other to such a large extent?

Why should we not permit opt outs in some areas of legislation? Switzerlands cantons, many of which are smaller than some Irish counties have a great deal of local autonomy and can enact their own legislation, I see no reason why we could not make reforms that permit greater local freedom when it comes to legislation in many areas, abortion of which would be a prime example.

So it would be legal to kill your unborn child in some parts of the country but not in others?

TommyO'Brien

And we have the winner of the nuttiest thread of the day on abortion.

ZOO!

hiding behind a poster

Thats besides the point, Im talking about individual counties having the freedom to forbid or allow any facility or future facilities to carry out abortions.
I've got 7 counties within 30 minutes drive from my house.

pragmaticapproach

pragmaticapproach

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies