a reported £750,000 per year deal in his current post.

Politics matters

At least his salary isn't being paid by a corrupt billionaire tax exile like another international manager I can think of.

mac tíre

between the bridges

To be fair, if he continues in a similar vein, their supporters will think so.
The increased gates and sales spin off his success has achieved , more than covers the wage, but nice work if ye can get it!

McSlaggart

The increased gates and sales spin off his success has achieved , more than covers the wage, but nice work if ye can get it!
I hope he is successful in this run but "Past Performance Is No Guarantee of Future Results ". The amout of money he is going to get is crazy for a team which does not play that many matches and is in a stadium of max attandance of less than 20 000

Mickeymac

I like Michael O'Neill but wonder is he worth paying £750 000 a year out of the funds to run the local football???

Link to how much the other Martin gets...and the Irish FA only have to pay half.
https://www.irishpost.co.uk/sport/research-reveals-ireland-boss-martin-oneills-staggering-annual-salary-83888

Highest paid pub team manager on planet Earth, many, who manage professional non sectarian teams and non sectarian supporters will, no doubt, be extremely jealous............and who could blame them?

McSlaggart

Highest paid pub team manager on planet Earth, many, who manage professional non sectarian teams and non sectarian supporters will, no doubt, be extremely jealous............and who could blame them?
Its a team who supporters get a lot of pleasure out of supporting them. I can see no real harm in it.

Mickeymac

Its a team who supporters get a lot of pleasure out of supporting them. I can see no real harm in it.

:lol:You obviously are having a laugh sir...... this report was quite recent.

14 Jan 2017 - Linfield Football Club has launched an investigation into the playing of the music to the sectarian anthem The Billy Boys at a Boxing Day match. ... "We are committed to ensuring Windsor Park continues to reflect the history and ethos of our great club and that the stadium entertainment both on and off the ...

McSlaggart

:lol:You obviously are having a laugh sir...... this report was quite recent.
NI fans acting in a sectarian way is not news. 10 german bombers would be a song that I would take to be sectrarian but they do not. I tend to think of he Northern Ireland team as a "sacrificial metal" allowing their fans to support a team and saving the rest of us from having to put up with them.

CastleRay

I hope he is successful in this run but "Past Performance Is No Guarantee of Future Results ". The amout of money he is going to get is crazy for a team which does not play that many matches and is in a stadium of max attandance of less than 20 000
It’s a lot of money but if that’s the market value for him that’s what’s needed to pay him. It’s not just picking the team and coaching it, he’s involved in the development of the game throughout Northern Ireland at all levels.

McSlaggart

It’s a lot of money but if that’s the market value for him that’s what’s needed to pay him. It’s not just picking the team and coaching it, he’s involved in the development of the game throughout Northern Ireland at all levels.
His pay is approximatly twice the cost of running the Tyrone teams. He is a good manager but I do not think the Northern Ireland setup can take risk in the amount they are going to pay him. If he is a failure then the IFA will be commited to a 5 million contract.

Niall996

I like Michael O'Neill but wonder is he worth paying £750 000 a year out of the funds to run the local football???

Link to how much the other Martin gets...and the Irish FA only have to pay half.
https://www.irishpost.co.uk/sport/research-reveals-ireland-boss-martin-oneills-staggering-annual-salary-83888
Incredible salary for managing a part time team with no expectation of ever winning anything and no real significant commercial upside. Lucky bloke. That's phenomenal.

CastleRay

Incredible salary for managing a part time team with no expectation of ever winning anything and no real significant commercial upside. Lucky bloke. That's phenomenal.
Big money, no doubt. But no commercial upside? Don’t think so. If you want a decent manager you have to pay him. The commercial side of the IFA is much improved.

Mickeymac

Crazy crackpot stuff, obviously the DUP/UDA are is some underhanded way, funding this scam.......how TF can a pub team manager earn that sort of sh1t.

Maximus Cynicus

It's probably a function of the "market" After NI performance in the Euros, his stock would have gone up with enquiries from clubs in England. IFA probably had to stump up cash to keep him

McSlaggart

It's probably a function of the "market" After NI performance in the Euros, his stock would have gone up with enquiries from clubs in England. IFA probably had to stump up cash to keep him
i would agree with your analysis of why they had to pay him the money to keep him. I just wonder is their turnover such that they are in the market sector to make such payments.

Niall996

Big money, no doubt. But no commercial upside? Don’t think so. If you want a decent manager you have to pay him. The commercial side of the IFA is much improved.
Since the IFA stopped pretending to be the representative football association of for the whole of Ireland sometime in the 1950's, their potential fan base is quite limited. I can't imagine a whole raft of people wanting to buy shirts for example that haven't already. Plus NI has a very toxic section reputation which would make most decent brands run a mile from sponsorship deals. And ultimately they can never win anything so there can be no great commercial upswing. They'll just tick along forever, win some, lose some, no matter who is in charge. Who wouldn't love 750K to run a part time squad with no real national identity, no chance of winning anything and no real expectations.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies