A second Spanish Inquisition?

Cai

The following tweet is the work of leading South West Wales Tory, avid Brexit campaigner & minister of five Welsh Independent Nonconformist chapels in Carmathernshire, the Rev Dr Felix Aubel. This denomination BTW is noted for it's tolerance & liberalism.

The Rev Dr Aubel is apparently referring to the Spanish Inquisition.

Do pie users agree with the Rev Dr that it might be a good idea to torture Muslims (& presumably Jews) and burn them alive in the streets, or do most people reckon that the good Dr is taking things rather too far?

The tweet by the way is a response to a Swedish neo Nazi.

GDPR

No he is referring to the Reconquista where the Moors were expelled from Spain by St Isabella.

Cai

No he is referring to the Reconquista where the Moors were expelled from Spain by St Isabella.
That took about 800 years (&7m deaths). Only the end & the Inquisition which followed it's conclusion happened in the Late Middle Ages.

GDPR

That took about 800 years (&7m deaths). Only the end & the Inquisition which followed it's conclusion happened in the Late Middle Ages.
People have different ideas of when the Middle Ages ended.

Cai

People have different ideas of when the Middle Ages ended.
Perhaps, but no one reckons it ended in the 8th century - when the Reconquesta started.

The good Dr by the way has a doctorate in history, not religion.

Strawberry

Its hard to know what he means, or even thinks he means. He should be asked to clarify what exactly he wants today's Christian Europe to do.

Cai

Its hard to know what he means, or even thinks he means. He should be asked to clarify what exactly he wants today's Christian Europe to do.
Well he has been asked to explain - but he's a bit reticent - Welsh Tory Brexiteer condemned by party after he appears to call for return of religious persecution - Daily Post

He has however told the Welsh language news website that he was merely posing an open question & that the whole thing is an unfortunate misunderstanding.

sic transit

Modern thinking and 21st century sensibilities does not allow for such crude pogroms, although I see a market for one way time travel!

McTell

Twitter
No
It's a wind-up.

We Celts being easy touches for that sort of thing.

sic transit

milipod

[video=youtube;Nf_Y4MbUCLY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf_Y4MbUCLY[/video]

Dame_Enda

No I dont support an Inquisition. Nor do I support importing the ISIS equivalent that is found in areas under their control. In fact leaving Islam is illegal in most Muslim countries, so in that sense we treat them better than they treat Christians.

sic transit

He's got a history doctorate.
Which clearly does not confer common sense nor credibility to his notion. And yet this "highly educated" man, seems to have been completely misunderstood.

Franzoni

[video=youtube;Nf_Y4MbUCLY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf_Y4MbUCLY[/video]
Laffin...

I was going to put up a clip of El Cid but i found the whole movie on youtube so see ya all in three hours.....:D

Cai

No I dont support an Inquisition. Nor do I support importing the ISIS equivalent that is found in areas under their control. In fact leaving Islam is illegal in most Muslim countries, so in that sense we treat them better than they treat Christians.
It's a relief to learn that you're not keen on a second Inquisition.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies