A senator wants students to get CAO points for sports and social action

Schuhart

I think this is a dumb idea. You don't improve academic performance by giving people unearned marks. You just lower the bar, and devalue academic standards. It also inflates the points requirements for courses,
as more candidates have higher points, for the same number of places.

O’Reilly has discussed the issue with the Minister for Education and Skills Joe McHugh and is planning to put forward a formal submission. Under the new system, 50 points would be awarded for social and community action and 25 points for cultural and athletic achievement.
Should this work both ways? Should athletic and sporting scores be inflated for participents with good academic results? Maybe a school-level GAA team should get an extra point for every player getting an A in higher level maths in their last school exam.

That would encourage sporting activity, wouldn't it?

carlovian

I think this is a dumb idea. You don't improve academic performance by giving people unearned marks. You just lower the bar, and devalue academic standards. It also inflates the points requirements for courses,
as more candidates have higher points, for the same number of places.Should this work both ways? Should athletic and sporting scores be inflated for participents with good academic results? Maybe a school-level GAA team should get an extra point for every player getting an A in higher level maths in their last school exam.

You lost me at "A senator wants"

They have to justify their salaries somehow with "brilliant" thinking.

The OD

Have a look at his website.

Love this bit:

Education

I am originally a teacher by profession and education is a vocation that is very important to me.
I believe that Education is the corner-stone of our society and helps to shape us as individuals.
It is a vocation that is very dear to my own heart and one that must be nurtured and safeguarded.

In light of this, I presume he is still teaching at primary level, yes? Because its such an important vocation to Joe?

AyaanMyHero

as more candidates have higher points, for the same number of places.Should this work both ways? Should athletic and sporting scores be inflated for participents with good academic results? Maybe a school-level GAA team should get an extra point for every player getting an A in higher level maths in their last school exam.

I think you did a good enough job ripping this idea asunder.
Now he is only looking for 75 points out of 625 to be allocated for sporting, cultural achievements but, the principle is all wrong and leads us in the wrong direction. Intended benefits would be: it would encourage more youngsters into sporting or cultural activities. If that is deemed a necessity, then one should try to do it in a way that does not compromise the academic education system.

AyaanMyHero

Now he is only looking for 75 points out of 625 to be allocated for sporting, cultural achievements but, the principle is all wrong and leads us in the wrong direction. Intended benefits would be: it would encourage more youngsters into sporting or cultural activities. If that is deemed a necessity, then one should try to do it in a way that does not compromise the academic education system.

A Voice

Red flag right there. Indoctrination coming right up . . .

Equinox

This is for the slightly dim Tamara's and Tarquin's who's solicitor parents are fretting about their leaving results and hope Tarquins first team showing for the Rock and Tamara's sponsored hike up kilimanjaro and the two weeks spent volunteering on a schools outreach program offering fashion advice to the underprivileged might tip them over the line for a place in Blackhall.....

redneck

Knowing this country and the culture, any proposal like this would be corrupted. And likely used by up and coming middle class to jump the queue. I would like to see more teens involved in litter picking and social work though.

Orbit v2

Wouldn't work. How would you measure it? It will just end up with all students doing the bare minimum and getting the full 75 points. This is already what happens in subjects that have components tested outside of the actual LC.

Baron von Biffo

When 6% of university graduates are functionally illiterate any further lowering of the bar in our education system would be a considerable achievement.

Up to 1967 you couldn't get a primary certificate if you were illiterate but now you can get a degree. It's getting to where we could save a fortune by handing out degrees with the PPS numbers when a birth is registered.

Half Nelson

Some students already get CAO points for sport.
Under the Elite Athlete Academic Entry Scheme a student may gain up to 45 extra CAO points.

pierrepoint

How many points for gaming and dope smoking?

Rodney Polo

People have very poor opinion of our student population ...I'm sure they would be completely honest and make sure the proposed system works well and is fair.

Hate the fact that people think students do nothing but drink, terrorise quiet neighbourhoods..throw litter and shyte everywhere and wreck the gaff they are staying in ....it's not like that at all...honest :confused2:

Buchaill Dana

Imagine the leaving moving from a memory test into kids having a broader education. Burn the witch

Baron von Biffo

Imagine the leaving moving from a memory test into kids having a broader education. Burn the witch
We're already handing out degrees for nonsense courses like bar management and gender studies so maybe getting CAO points for kicking a ball around isn't as outlandish as it would have been in the past but surely we should be looking to raise standards rather than drop them even further?

Buchaill Dana

We're already handing out degrees for nonsense courses like bar management and gender studies so maybe getting CAO points for kicking a ball around isn't as outlandish as it would have been in the past but surely we should be looking to raise standards rather than drop them even further?
Im not saying this is right, but its an idea worth broadly.considering. it was more the reaction from the usuals I was questioning

bang bang

We had our chance to close the seanad for good, but the electorate obviously value this institution for some reason that as yet has to properly explained.

Baron von Biffo

Im not saying this is right, but its an idea worth broadly.considering. it was more the reaction from the usuals I was questioning
There's much that could be done to improve our education system but giving CAO points for kicking football isn't on any serious list.

We could start by saying that universities aren't for everyone. They should be for the best of the academic crop rather than dishing out feel-good degrees for every nonsense.

Clanrickard

A very good idea and long overdue. As far back as the 80s the Confederation of British Industry was bemoaning the one dimensional nature of graduates. They simply weren't well rounded enough to fit in at work. Art, music, drama, sport all contribute to the person and those that devout time to these and ecel should be rewarded.

Clanrickard

A very good idea and long overdue. As far back as the 80s the Confederation of British Industry was bemoaning the one dimensional nature of graduates. They simply weren't well rounded enough to fit in at work. Art, music, drama, sport all contribute to the person and those that devout time to these and ecel should be rewarded.