A senator wants students to get CAO points for sports and social action

Baron von Biffo

Rewarded is fine. By all means, recognise sporting achievement with trophies and medals.

Pretending its an academic achievement is not fine. That's like giving someone who got an A in Honours Maths a medal for winning the shot put.
Don't waste time on shot put training. That once elusive A in honours maths, which in the past only the most mathematically adept could aspire to, is slowly becoming the right of everyone.

We can explain a doubling of the numbers doing honours maths by positing a vast improvement in teaching methods or student ability over the last decade, or we can give the intelligent explanation - the bar has been lowered.

We're but a short step away from a 'print your own leaving cert' app for smart-phones.

silverharp

as a study they should pay a sample of students to take old maths papers from the 70's. My guess is they would need to be shuffled into a safe space after

Clanrickard

Don't waste time on shot put training. That once elusive A in honours maths, which in the past only the most mathematically adept could aspire to, is slowly becoming the right of everyone.

We can explain a doubling of the numbers doing honours maths by positing a vast improvement in teaching methods or student ability over the last decade, or we can give the intelligent explanation - the bar has been lowered.

We're but a short step away from a 'print your own leaving cert' app for smart-phones.
The pass mark has been lowered and there are extra points. A million miles from print your own Leaving.

Baron von Biffo

The pass mark has been lowered and there are extra points. A million miles from print your own Leaving.
Lowering the pass mark is just one aspect of lowering standards.

I'd love to see Silverharp's experiment carried out by having the 2019 students take the 1979 paper and have it marked according to 1979 standards.

A downside of my tinnitus is I must at times use subtitles when watching TV. The quality is simply dreadful. After one programme that seemed to have been subtitled by an 11 year old in a remedial class ('Hale storm' and 'veil of tears' being two examples of the ineptitude) I watched to see who was responsible.

It was Ericsson, the phone company. Going to the subtitles section on their website I was dismayed to note that they only recruit graduates. At least one, and probably two, graduates were responsible for the very basic errors above. That such people could get a Junior Cert would be cause for concern, that they could get a degree is cause for shame.

Round tower

Lowering the pass mark is just one aspect of lowering standards.

I'd love to see Silverharp's experiment carried out by having the 2019 students take the 1979 paper and have it marked according to 1979 standards.

A downside of my tinnitus is I must at times use subtitles when watching TV. The quality is simply dreadful. After one programme that seemed to have been subtitled by an 11 year old in a remedial class ('Hale storm' and 'veil of tears' being two examples of the ineptitude) I watched to see who was responsible.

It was Ericsson, the phone company. Going to the subtitles section on their website I was dismayed to note that they only recruit graduates. At least one, and probably two, graduates were responsible for the very basic errors above. That such people could get a Junior Cert would be cause for concern, that they could get a degree is cause for shame.
Without the use of calculators, a c ouple of years ago at a darts tournement a maths teacher had to be replaced marking the board he was not able to do it

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies