• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

A Ship of Fools: The Renewable Heat Incentive fiasco

AhNowStop

This could turn out to be a lot worse than just very embarrassing.
Wouldnt it be great if "something" came out of all this that was more than just "embarrassing" to the DUP .. but I wont hold my breath :censored:

raetsel

This could turn out to be a lot worse than just very embarrassing.
According to your link:

The ICO initially decided not to proceed to prosecution due to a lack of evidence relating to the leaks but evidence coming from the RHI inquiry led to a reigniting of their interest in the case.

"Based on the original evidence provided, the ICO decided not to proceed to prosecution in this case," the spokesperson added.

"The complainant requested a review of that decision, based on additional evidence coming to light in 2018, and an assessment of that additional evidence forms part of that review, which remains ongoing."

In a written statement, provided to the RHI inquiry, Mr Robinson said that he "tried to balance" the public interest in leaking the material with that of his party and his colleagues.

He said he was "encouraged" to pass the emails to the media by Arlene Foster's then adviser Richard Bullick and that Mr Crawford also wanted them disclosed.
The Information Commissioner may not have much appetite for pursuing this, but the complainant, the Renewable Heat Association of Northern Ireland, are obviously very angry and are not letting go. Now that the evidence is out in the open the IC may have little choice but to proceed with it. Though I would guess he will wait for the Inquiry report first. I'd love to know how high this goes. :)

AhNowStop

According to your link:

The Information Commissioner may not have much appetite for pursuing this, but the complainant, the Renewable Heat Association of Northern Ireland, are obviously very angry and are not letting go. Now that the evidence is out in the open the IC may have little choice but to proceed with it. Though I would guess he will wait for the Inquiry report first. I'd love to know how high this goes. :)
Right to the top Im sure but how do you prove it when they dont keep records and use post-it notes as their main method of communication .. feckin ridiculous

but ye never know I suppose and the evidence is obviously there that these DUPlicitous DUPers did what they did re the leaks so here's hoping 🙏

raetsel

but ye never know I suppose and the evidence is obviously there that these DUPlicitous DUPers did what they did re the leaks so here's hoping 🙏
Bullick, Robinson, Crawford and Hamilton are all potentially in the frame if the testimony at the Inquiry is true.

raetsel

why was't Michelle O'Neill minister for agriculture at the time called as a witness?
I'm sure Patrick Coghlin would have called her if he thought that she could clarify any issue which he wanted answers to. But she had no role in the actual creation of the RHI scheme. The only role DARD had was in promoting it in the farming community and there were no question marks over that aspect.
The Inquiry was set up to investigate, firstly the catastrophic mistakes made in the design of the scheme, and secondly, the costly delay in shutting it down when it was already known to be a disaster. She had no input into into either of those, so it does not seem likely that she would have been much help in providing answers.

Newrybhoy

What could the minister of agriculture possibly be expected to know about a scheme aimed primarily at the agricultural sector.

Ludicrous to suggest she should have or could have known anything about it.

Se0samh

What could the minister of agriculture possibly be expected to know about a scheme aimed primarily at the agricultural sector.

Have you advised Sir Patrick of the evidence you have to support your conclusion...or is it just your usual bombastic B/S....

raetsel

Considering that the minister responsible for creating the scheme, Arlene Foster, has even admitted that she didn't bother her backside to read the legislation drafted to implement RHI, nothing surprises me. :)
O'Neill would obviously need to know the scheme details in order to promote it, but why on earth would you expect her to know what caused the total c0ck-up at the design stage, or what was behind the decision to delay closing it down?

raetsel

Have you advised Sir Patrick of the evidence you have to support your conclusion...or is it just your usual bombastic B/S....
The suggestion that someone as obviously sharp incisive as he proved himself to be during the Inquiry, could overlook calling a material witness with as high a profile as O'Neill if she had anything relevant to tell is ludicrous.

AhNowStop

Her job was only to promote it ... the incompetent/corrupt nutjobs in the DUP designed & mismanaged it ... its clear who’s at fault

Why are you wee loyalists so terminally thick 🤔

raetsel

Her job was only to promote it ... the incompetent/corrupt nutjobs in the DUP designed & mismanaged it ... its clear who’s at fault
The biggest mistake of all was the erroneous (and idiotic) belief that the scheme was being funded by a blank cheque drawn on Westminster, and that their farming voters could expect to leech off the British taxpayer for many years to come at no cost to the local budget. It exposed a sly, rapacious attitude to a country they like to profess undying loyalty to, when in reality the attachment is based on the ignoble art of pickpocketing as much moolah as possible from the wallets of people based largely in south east England who are seen as little more than a cash cow, and with whom they have little in common.
That lack of ambition is the fundamental reason that unionism is failing. It has reduced the local economy to penury and created a permanent state of reliance on others to fund our social institutions.
It is begging bowl economics, and the idea that it will last forever is very probably ill founded. I hear unionist voices on phone ins on Radio Ulster almost daily crowing about how "the south cannot afford us" as if that is something to celebrate rather than being said with any sense of embarrassment, which anyone with self respect would feel. Such low self expectations are a sure mark of a defeated political trajectory.

Last edited:

AhNowStop

The biggest mistake of all was the erroneous (and idiotic) belief that the scheme was being funded by a blank cheque drawn on Westminster, and that their farming voters could expect to leech off the British taxpayer for many years to come at no cost to the local budget. It exposed a sly, rapacious attitude to a country they like to profess undying loyalty to, when in reality the attachment is based on the ignoble art of pickpocketing as much moolah as possible from the wallets of people based largely in south east England who are seen as little more than a cash cow, and with whom they have little in common.
That lack of ambition is the fundamental reason that unionism is failing. It has reduced the local economy to penury and created a permanent state of reliance on others to fund our social institutions.
It is begging bowl economics, and the idea that it will last forever is very probably ill founded. I hear unionist voices on phone ins on Radio Ulster almost daily crowing about how "the south cannot afford us" as if that is something to celebrate rather than being said with any sense of embarrassment, which anyone with self respect would feel. Such low self expectations are a sure mark of a defeated political trajectory.
Well put and 100% true, they want to hang off the british tit for eternity... they want to be beholden and reliant on Britain and they have no shame about it ...... despicable DUPlicitous horrible bigots that they are

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
I'm sure Patrick Coghlin would have called her if he thought that she could clarify any issue which he wanted answers to. But she had no role in the actual creation of the RHI scheme. The only role DARD had was in promoting it in the farming community and there were no question marks over that aspect.
The Inquiry was set up to investigate, firstly the catastrophic mistakes made in the design of the scheme, and secondly, the costly delay in shutting it down when it was already known to be a disaster. She had no input into into either of those, so it does not seem likely that she would have been much help in providing answers.
how do you promote it if you don't understand it?

AhNowStop

OK tell us who is at fault in this scenario .....

Charles Hurst gets a new model from Lexus .. they're told its the dogs bollicks .. Charles Hurst does a great marketing job and sells the new model all over the feckin place ..... loveley work from Charles Hurst there .. doing just what they're supposed to do..

... then 2 years later & after hundreds of sales we start hearing of major problems with this new model and it turns out its a total friggin disaster ... Charles Hurst stops selling the new model.

Who's at fault ... Lexus or Charles Hurst ?

Its not up to Charles Hurst to check out exactly how everything works and if there are any potential issues ,..... they simply have to Lexus' word for it...

edit ..As its representing the DUPlicitous party I should probably replace Lexus with a crappy manufacturer like British Leyland .. but I cant as they're not even British :unsure: :eek: :ROFLMAO:

raetsel

:rolleyes:
Who says she didn't understand it or at least have a grasp of the basics of the scheme? It wasn't her job to personally promote it ffs. In DARD, she was the organ grinder, not the bloody monkey. Do you understand anything about management or delegation?

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
Who says she didn't understand it or at least have a grasp of the basics of the scheme? It wasn't her job to personally promote it ffs. In DARD, she was the organ grinder, not the bloody monkey. Do you understand anything about management or delegation?
the basics of the scheme was that it was a disaster
its called responsibility

raetsel

the basics of the scheme was that it was a disaster
its called responsibility
Sole responsibility for the creation of the scheme lay at the feet of Arlene Foster and her team, no one else. And they made an absolute balls of it. Foster didn't even bother to read the relevant legislation, even though she is a qualified solicitor who should have been well capable of understanding it.
The responsibility for its termination lay entirely with Jonny Bell and his team, and no one else, though to be fair, Bell claims that he was obstructed in his efforts to bring it to an end by other DUP Spads.
There has never been any credible suggestion that politicians other than the DUP contingent at Stormont bore any responsibility for its failings. It really would be absurdly stupid to even suggest that someone as obviously perceptive and astute as former high court judge Sir Patrick Coghlin missed something here.
I'm not a SF supporter (I vote SDLP, Green or Alliance ordinarily) but I am capable of objective evaluation. If O'Neill shouldered any of the blame for this I'd have no hesitation in laying it at her doorstep.

Mickeymac

I have noticed on here the ignorance displayed by many regarding management, they don’t seem to get what is required to make one, delegation, as you mentioned plus leadership qualities, people management, impartiality, and much more, the knuckleheads need to realise management means a lot more than keeping tabs on bad timekeepers.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies