A simple and fair approach to Ireland's housing crisis. Political will needed.

The Crant

The principle of sharing the resources and burdens of our environment on a "per capity" basis are established in the Paris Climate Accord where a countries emissions are calculated by dividing total emissions by population. In this way the USA with about .4 billion people has a high emissions ratio while china (i.2 billion) and India (1.3 billion) have low ones. India will be allowed double its emissions while China can continue to emit for another 13 years. America must cut emissions. This is the principle of fairness in the modern world. We all agree trump is a disgrace.

Ireland has a severe housing shortage. It is experiencing an influx of British immigrants as they flee Brexit and terrorism. Recent migration of EU citizens to Ireland is likely to continue. With America and Britain blocking future migration, the EU is poised to accept a huge influx of migrants from the middle east, Asia and Africa. A huge amount of Africans are planning to migrate to Europe. The proximity of the EU coupled with its welcoming multicultural approach is acting as a magnet for refugees and economic migrants alike. The EU expects member states to take their share and Ireland will respond. All are very welcome to our shores, but how do we house them, and our own people?

Ireland already has a large housing stock, it is distributed very well. All homes are fully serviced. I propose a utilization index for houses on the same basis as the Paris Climate principles. Take the square foot area of each house and divide by the number of occupants living in it to give an occupancy rating for that house. So, a council terraced house of 900 square feet and 3 residents would have a “per capity” occupancy of 300 sq feet space. If a son or daughter left the home, the occupancy space would rise to 450 sq feet. So 300 could be an index of 1. Above which the household would be required to take in homeless people.

A large house of 1,500 sq feet with a family of six would be below the index and need take in no one. When the children leave the house, there might only be the couple (2) left and the space would rise to 1,500 / 2 = 750 sw feet. This house would have to take in ( 1,500/300 = 5 – 2) = 3 homeless people to bring the index up to 1 again. This is my idea, and I put it out there for debate and suggested amendments. I am a coal delivery man from Monaghan who has great ideas for our environment.

Let the games begin!

buttercookie

I read with horror that Mohammad is is the fastest growing name among new borns in Ireland.

This is utterly chilling,seriously, how many muslim immigrants are now in this country and how many babies are they having each.

Speak for yourself, why dont you.

Not all immigrants are welcome to my shore, this country is too small to take the numbers who want to come and they will be competing with my children for jobs housing,social welfare payments etc.We are simply too small a country to absorb these foreigners and they will dilute our irish culture within a few decades.

Who wants Dublin to become the equivalent of the banlieus in Paris, Malmo in Sweden or Molenbook in Belgium.Why cant our politicans get their fingers out of their asses and tell merkel we arent taking any more of her rejects, we cant afford them.

Felixness

We here that rural Ireland is dying, young working couples are moving their families to more urban areas and we have a lot of front line staff commuting from other counties because they can't afford to live in cities or in the suburbs. Yet we have generations of the work shy who wouldn't work to warm themselves, having a bunch of kids and being housed at taxpayer expense.

There's no shame in being unemployed if you're disabled or looking for work, but this nonsense of housing layabouts in cities needs to end. Ship them out to rural Ireland and send their kids to the local schools, that'll keep them open. Putting a stop to the free houses for life would also lower the rents in cities and make it more affordable for people who actually work to support themselves and their families.

It goes without saying that we need to put an end to this benefit tourism lark. There are no direct flights from Africa to Ireland, send em back when they get to the airport and stop importing Muslim migrants who've paid thousands to be smuggled to Europe.

Who is John Galt?

The principle of sharing the resources and burdens of our environment on a "per capity" basis are established in the Paris Climate Accord where a countries emissions are calculated by dividing total emissions by population. In this way the USA with about .4 billion people has a high emissions ratio while china (i.2 billion) and India (1.3 billion) have low ones. India will be allowed double its emissions while China can continue to emit for another 13 years. America must cut emissions. This is the principle of fairness in the modern world. We all agree trump is a disgrace.

Ireland has a severe housing shortage. It is experiencing an influx of British immigrants as they flee Brexit and terrorism. Recent migration of EU citizens to Ireland is likely to continue. With America and Britain blocking future migration, the EU is poised to accept a huge influx of migrants from the middle east, Asia and Africa. A huge amount of Africans are planning to migrate to Europe. The proximity of the EU coupled with its welcoming multicultural approach is acting as a magnet for refugees and economic migrants alike. The EU expects member states to take their share and Ireland will respond. All are very welcome to our shores, but how do we house them, and our own people?

Ireland already has a large housing stock, it is distributed very well. All homes are fully serviced. I propose a utilization index for houses on the same basis as the Paris Climate principles. Take the square foot area of each house and divide by the number of occupants living in it to give an occupancy rating for that house. So, a council terraced house of 900 square feet and 3 residents would have a “per capity” occupancy of 300 sq feet space. If a son or daughter left the home, the occupancy space would rise to 450 sq feet. So 300 could be an index of 1. Above which the household would be required to take in homeless people.

A large house of 1,500 sq feet with a family of six would be below the index and need take in no one. When the children leave the house, there might only be the couple (2) left and the space would rise to 1,500 / 2 = 750 sw feet. This house would have to take in ( 1,500/300 = 5 – 2) = 3 homeless people to bring the index up to 1 again. This is my idea, and I put it out there for debate and suggested amendments. I am a coal delivery man from Monaghan who has great ideas for our environment.

Let the games begin!
If you expect me to give part of my house over to complete strangers you have your grain o' tae!
Keep delivering that coal.

Global Irish Nation

How about we just make all land outside of national designated parks and places of special conservation status or historical value automatically zoned for building houses. If that's what the owner wishes. Put our greatest shared national reaource, our land, the ohysical asset itself and the monetary value therein back in the hands of the people and not just a cabal of developers, bankers and corrupt councilors.

razorblade

Putting the most genuine cases to the front of the line and moving the lazy layabouts and scam artists to the back of the line, that's only fair i would say.

The Crant

Did anyone read beyond British immigrants fleeing Brexit and terrorism?
I am very sorry if I gave the impression that there was anything wrong with British migrants. They are here in droves, 100,000 at Queen's visit and a lot came since. Most are working or retired. One divorced English lass bought a wee cottage in Newbliss, and asked a local single farmer (2nd cousin) for a water connection. A deal was struck for 50 euros per year. he ended up moving in every week end and she named the house "Two Bliss."

I am surprised that migrants are equated with laziness and as we are members if the EU (and unlikely to leave it), it seems to me we have no choice but to take the quota set down by Brussels. Leo Varadkar will not stand up to anyone on this issue. He is the face of modern Ireland. They are coming here and we should plan in advance. I can't go along with all this anti Muslim feeling. Not all are bad. The majority never kill anyone. Thanks to you all for participating. I have great value in coal this time of year.

Last edited:

The Crant

If you expect me to give part of my house over to complete strangers you have your grain o' tae!
Keep delivering that coal.
But, you will get a rebate on your property tax each year. The scheme could have a provision where you receive a contribution towards heating and electricity. Energy prices will come down as we build more wind and solar farms, so it won't be too expensive.

Gwannow

It would be a good idea to house migrants in areas adjacent to our Teachtai Dail's residences. That would be ideal. Why not do it?

Socratus O' Pericles

I'm always dismayed at the new and inventive ways racists dream up of starting threads.

The Crant

I'm always dismayed at the new and inventive ways racists dream up of starting threads.
I started the tread, why do you call be a racist? Lots of Eastern Europeans living and working in Monaghan and they are very nice people. Hard working too. I am talking about the housing shortage which can only get worse unless we do something positive. We have to think of our own Irish people too. Can't just do nothing and I know there is concern. No normal person wants to to to sleep in their bed knowing others can't.

My idea is not fixed, the whole idea was to get a debate going . Tax the minds of the great contributors here

Fabo02

Southside Dublin first.

The Crant

It would be a good idea to house migrants in areas adjacent to our Teachtai Dail's residences. That would be ideal. Why not do it?
I don't think you can discriminate like that. The Constitution says all such government schemes must apply evenly. It is normal in such schemes to exempt certain classes of persons, like jury service. I don't think it would apply to senior lawyers, judges, Senior Gardai or politicians. Just ordinary people.

The Crant

Southside Dublin first.
Everyone wants to live there, but it is too small. I see a problem where a family wants to be housed in South Dublin, but is offered Monaghan. They might sue. There would have to be some kind of lotto draw with provision to house relatives in the one area.

Last edited:

Fabo02

Everyone wants to live there, but it is too small. I see a problem where a family wants to be housed in South Dublin, but us offered Monaghan. They might sue. There would have to be some kind of lotto draw with provision to house relatives in the one area.
Southside Dublin is in dire need of some diversity

Socratus O' Pericles

I started the tread, why do you call be a racist? Lots of Eastern Europeans living and working in Monaghan and they are very nice people. Hard working too. I am talking about the housing shortage which can only get worse unless we do something positive. We have to think of our own Irish people too. Can't just do nothing and I know there is concern. No normal person wants to to to sleep in their bed knowing others can't.

My idea is not fixed, the whole idea was to get a debate going . Tax the minds of the great contributors here
Because we have what may loosely be termed a duty to take care in what we say.....look at post#2.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies