• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

A "special" deal for teachers?

ger12

Have the teachers unions negotiated the equalization of conditions specifically for new teachers, which doesn't apply to other public sector workers? Nurses and doctors take the cuts but teachers don't because?

Help me out here folks. I don't believe that any public sector worker (myself included) can avoid some more pain given the States economic circumstances, but the burden sharing surely has to be fair?

If I'm off the mark, off to the zoo I must go. But if this is true, why would government appear to act so unfairly?

happytuesdays

Have the teachers unions negotiated the equalization of conditions specifically for new teachers, which doesn't apply to other public sector workers? Nurses and doctors take the cuts but teachers don't because?

Help me out here folks. I don't believe that any public sector worker (myself included) can avoid some more pain given the States economic circumstances, but the burden sharing surely has to be fair?

If I'm off the mark, off to the zoo I must go. But if this is true, why would government appear to act so unfairly?
Because Doran is a dyed in the woll FFer and they are going to ************************ you to get at him. Also the teachers didn't walk out.

macs magic

Because Doran is a dyed in the woll FFer and they are going to ************************ you to get at him. Also the teachers didn't walk out.
You think the Teachers got their special deal in the middle of the night????? very naive

What is the biggest profession that populates the Dail??????

wombat

Not sure about a special deal - won't know until details are published tomorrow.

Prester Jim

I am losing about €850 after tax as a result of the substitution supervision and will be affected by the increment freeze as I am only on point 5.
I didn't hear about any equalisation for post 2011 teachers, there should be this for teachers and everyone else with a cut for all of 1-5% (dependent on earning) to allow it to happen.
I don't think it is a good idea to buy into the divide and conquer strategy though so I would be careful and sure before getting angry.
Nothing has been accepted yet anyway.

Prester Jim

You think the Teachers got their special deal in the middle of the night????? very naive

What is the biggest profession that populates the Dail??????
Politicians?

The only politicians that are still what they were before are the ones that have earning business like a pub, or a law practice etc.
No politician I have ever heard of has lowered themselves to go back in front of a class after losing the seat.

making waves

Troll alert - daily teacher-bashing thread up and running

gatsbygirl20

Because people on this site and every other organ of the media never stopped whining about the poor young entrant teachers and how those scumbag unions sold them out and feather-bedded their senior colleagues instead, ....

....and how they'd have some respect for those unions if only they'd stood up for the young teachers and shafted the old ones....

So naturally that's what they did when they got the chance...

This is a fairly good deal for young teachers...but any senior post-holder or Deputy or Assistant Principal at the top of their scale and on 65k will get whacked...

I presume all those who posted here with their heart bleeding for young teachers and excoriating teacher unions, will be opening champagne tonight....

Prester Jim

Because people on this site and every other organ of the media never stopped whining about the poor young entrant teachers and how those scumbag unions sold them out and feather-bedded their senior colleagues instead, ....

....and how they'd have some respect for those unions if only they'd stood up for the young teachers and shafted the old ones....

This is a fairly good deal for young teachers...but any senior post-holder or Deputy or Assistant Principal at the top of their scale and on 65k will get whacked...

I presume all those who posted here with their heart bleeding for young teachers and excoriating teacher unions, will be opening champagne tonight....
So it is true?
Fair play to them.
A pity the other unions didn't do the same for their members.
How is this to be spun that the teachers are bad guys?
They looked after the new entrant, the other unions focussed on the senior members...

ger12

Troll alert - daily teacher-bashing thread up and running
Hold on, I'm not bashing teachers or nurses or doctors. I've just listened to Minister Howlin on playback weakly explain why the graduates nurses scheme is "different". This won't wash. We are all in this together aren't we?

Newstalk -

ger12

Aren't all graduate professionals worthy of avoiding a two tier system in their professions? Isn't that fair and balanced?

linny55

So it is true?
Fair play to them.
They looked after the new entrant, the other unions focussed on the senior members...
New entrants' pay

As a result of Government decisions of recent years, teachers are now being paid on the basis of three different pay scales. The ASTI has strenuously objected to this divisive pay structure and insisted that the issue be dealt with at the public sector pay talks.

Following union demands, the Government has agreed to introduce measures to address this two-tier workforce problem. The ASTI and the other teacher unions have succeeded in securing a small increase in pay for new entrant teachers who began teaching in 2011 and 2012. In addition, the payment of an extra increment is being proposed at the top of the scale for teachers entering from 2012. These measures constitute the first steps in closing the unacceptable gap between the pay scale of new entrant teachers and existing teachers. Full details will be published

Prester Jim

Aren't all graduate professionals worthy of avoiding a two tier system in their professions? Isn't that fair and balanced?
Absolutely and they should beat their unions about the head for not getting them the same deal the teaching unions did.

ger12

So it is true?
Fair play to them.
With respect, the deal was brokered by government. A government that doesn't appear to be playing fair.

Prester Jim

New entrants' pay

As a result of Government decisions of recent years, teachers are now being paid on the basis of three different pay scales. The ASTI has strenuously objected to this divisive pay structure and insisted that the issue be dealt with at the public sector pay talks.

Following union demands, the Government has agreed to introduce measures to address this two-tier workforce problem. The ASTI and the other teacher unions have succeeded in securing a small increase in pay for new entrant teachers who began teaching in 2011 and 2012. In addition, the payment of an extra increment is being proposed at the top of the scale for teachers entering from 2012. These measures constitute the first steps in closing the unacceptable gap between the pay scale of new entrant teachers and existing teachers. Full details will be published
Thanks, doesn't sound good enough. I am willing to take a cut to allow equalisation and I am sure many others are too.

Prester Jim

With respect, the deal was brokered by government. A government that doesn't appear to be playing fair.
Govt in negotiation with the unions I thought?
FF used a deliberate divide and conquer strategy backed ably by IBEC and the media particularly the Sindo, I don't think the current govt. has stooped so low as to use a socially divisive and destructive tactic when their duty is to nourish, protect and manage the nation honourably.
I would be very disappointed if that were true.

Tough Paddy

It's not a deal. It's a set of proposals put forward and agreed by all party's present at the end of the process and which will be later voted on.

turdsl

Hold on, I'm not bashing teachers or nurses or doctors. I've just listened to Minister Howlin on playback weakly explain why the graduates nurses scheme is "different". This won't wash. We are all in this together aren't we?

Newstalk -
I know well you are not teacher bashing. I heard Howlin earlier, shameful, There is a hidden agenda, Doran and the P.N.A will have to take this up fast. It just cannot be acceptable I would think the unions who stood at the
will not like to see a change, especially the INTO plus O Connor, Needs close watching.

tipp revolution

Newstalk -
Are we heck!

mayoonmymind

Just to clarity things.
Having worked with Liam Doran, I know him to an honourable, hardworking man.
He has, over the years, brought the nursing profession to a place that nurses never envisaged.
It was an impossible task to fight the HSE, the stupid narrowminded matrons and, believe it or not, the nurses themselves, who were brow beaten and bullied by many within the profession. WHO were drained of all self esteem and were everyone's door mats.
If the minister thinks that the ''little women with the TRUE VOCATION'' will accept this unfair treatment, while he rowed back on the reduces salary for new graduate teachers, HE IS VERY WRONG.