A tale of two lands Africa and Norway

Karloff

In Africa they have elephants and yet in some countries they support the ban on the trade in ivory, they burn stockpiles of ivory, these are desperately poor countries that could do with the money from white gold.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-36176756

Ie 'we are poor but we value precious biodiversity more than Judas silver'.

In Norway they have 68 wolves eeking out a living in the wild and they plan to allow hunters to wipe out two thirds of them in order to (they say) protect the profits of sheep farmers. Norway is one of the wealthiest countries on Earth.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/sep/16/norway-wolf-cull-government-wwf-friends-earth-environment-protest

Ie 'we are already rich but let us slaughter a tiny population of a magnificent species because it might make a tiny minority very slightly wealthier'.

The former are frequently judged as primitive and backward, the latter are frequently regarded as the most developed and sophisticated but sometimes it is poor peoples and poor countries who recognise and treasure natural heritage. And i am not just bashing Norway though this decision is a disgrace, if the English hadn't made extinct our own wolf population our farmers would have poisoned them long ago.

Anyway there is something wrong with the Norwegian mentality...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/30/norwegian-hunters-line-up-for-licences-to-shoot-wolves

Wolves have emerged as the most sought-after animal for Norwegian hunters this season, with 11,571 people registering for licences to shoot 16 animals – a ratio of 723 hunters per wolf.
Most people just respect and admire this incredible creature. I will never understand the mentality of people who kill for fun. I think the Kenyans are clearly more civilised.

GDPR

No offence, but do you have a link to something besides the Guardian, in the interests of factual based evidence?

GDPR

Yes, you only have to look at Norwegian immigration policy to see there is something deeply wrong with that country. Well done to Kenya for maintaining its biodiversity (though some here will call them wacists for wanting to do that).

GDPR

Yes, you only have to look at Norwegian immigration policy to see there is something deeply wrong with that country. Well done to Kenya for maintaining its biodiversity (though some here will call them wacists for wanting to do that).
How does abortion fit into this?

silverharp

they arent the last 65 wolves on the planet I assume? I'm not seeing a huge connection. I assume a lot of the African environmentalism is funded by Europe and they are looking out for tourism?

Karloff

they arent the last 65 wolves on the planet I assume? I'm not seeing a huge connection. I assume a lot of the African environmentalism is funded by Europe and they are looking out for tourism?
No we are not talking about overall numbers, i concede that point.

The environmental movement both inside and outside of Norway have criticised the government's bloodlust however as the species is extremely useful from an ecological point of view, as well as to humans who enjoy it's presence (excepting sheep farmers) - and i think it has a right to exist on it's own which is inalienable. To want to reduce their numbers from 68 to about 25 speaks of a total disregard for the species itself. It's not a very enlightened way of thinking - they also love their guns in Scandinavia, and that means killing living things.

Many African countries are very cool. I hope in the coming century with their development and their growing numbers they don't end up with an arrogant self satisfied mindset like the Norwegians and retain their ability to perceive what is important instead of just seeing everything in dollar format.

Falco

So based on that logic a country can simply wipe out a whole species??. If every country adopted that logic then the current extinction crisis would be even worse. The facts are that Norway, despite being one of the worlds most wealthily countries with a vast wilderness area, has a shamefull record when it comes to protecting iconic predators species like wolves and bears. If third world coutries like Kenya,India etc. adopted similar backward policies the likes of Tigers,Lions etc. would be already extinct

Falco

. To want to reduce their numbers from 68 to about 25 speaks of a total disregard for the species itself. It's not a very enlightened way of thinking - they also love their guns in Scandinavia, and that means killing living things.

Your not wrong -similar anti- predator hysteria in the likes of Sweden and Finland directed against their endangered populations of wolves, lynx etc. And yet the same crowd love to pedal a "Green" image

Ardillaun

Sounds bizarre and very unlike what I would expect from Scandinavians. Wolves are magnificent and Norway can certainly afford them.

Last edited:

jmcc

Confusing Norway with Sweden? The Norwegians won't like that. :)

Eire1976

Norway generally only takes people from genuine UN camps.

Very little of the turning up of their own volition and getting benefits etc.

statsman

Norway is a country, Africa is a continent. Apples and oranges.

McTell

Twitter
No
I'm with the norwegians on this. Wolf packs are bad news in a country under snow 5 months every year.

The elephants are protected as much as they are because some of us europeans said it would be a good idea and give jobs in the bush.

Karloff

I'm with the norwegians on this. Wolf packs are bad news in a country under snow 5 months every year.

The elephants are protected as much as they are because some of us europeans said it would be a good idea and give jobs in the bush.
There are only 80 of them. Norway is really big.

Norway is a country, Africa is a continent. Apples and oranges.
Instead of being a failed pedant, why not focus on what they have in common and just assume that was the cross reference i was using to make my comparison.

Ok, they are land masses. They have populations and cultures. They have wildlife.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies