• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

A tribute to Pat Finucane's courage

DavidCaldwell

Although I am very far from agreement with Republicanism aims or past methods, it might be worthwhile, amidst the current arguments and discord, to recognise and pay tribute to the courage of Pat Finucane and many Republicans. Kemal Ataturk's words about the dead of Gallipoli come to mind -

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... you are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours... You the mothers who sent their sons from far away countries wipe away your tears. Your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

DavidCaldwell

The idea behind the OP came from this:-
[video=youtube;S4QBV_rByDw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=S4QBV_rByDw&feature=endscreen[/video]

We may have been on different sides, may have had different uniforms, different organisation, different tactics (some, from all sides, very dubious), but death is an equalizer.

Just Jack

He was a great and fearless man.

RIP.

vinoboy

This canonisation and transformation in to a "human rights" lawyer is going too far.At best he was a skilful lawyer making a few bob from the legal iid funded casses (like many other lawyers) , at worst he was a lawyer dedicated to the republican cause using all info at his disposal to furtehr PIRA aims. The truth probably lies in the middle ......as usual .

Last edited:

DavidCaldwell

This canonisation and transformation in to a "human rights" lawyer is going too far.At best he was a skilful lawyer making a few bob from the lagal iid funded casses (like many other lawyers) , at worst he was a lawyer dedicated to the republican cause using all info at his disposal to furtehr PIRA aims. The truth probably lies in the middle ......as usual .
I wasn't talking about what he did, but about the fact that he had courage - I imagine that we can all agree on this. And if you want to make the point that many other people also demonstrated courage, I would agree with this.

ItsEvolution

The idea behind the OP came from this:-
[video=youtube;S4QBV_rByDw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=S4QBV_rByDw&feature=endscreen[/video]

We may have been on different sides, may have had different uniforms, different organisation, different tactics (some, from all sides, very dubious), but death is an equalizer.
Lasted 15secs of that awful propaganda vid you posted felt a bit sick with the display of so called Christianity, men with guns fight for god I bet. What a load of ************************.

Mickeymac

An excellent tribute thread David, I also liked your post number2.

RIP Pat and God bless Ireland and America.

DavidCaldwell

Lasted 15secs of that awful propaganda vid you posted felt a bit sick with the display of so called Christianity, men with guns fight for god I bet. What a load of ************************.
Religion is, in part, about death. Death is a key factor of our (or soldier ants') evolved instincts to group together in mutual protection. It is possible that religion arose as a "spandrel" of these instincts.

Obviously, our conscious mind can see that these instincts often lead to spectacularly bad results. But it seems to me that the answer is to channel these instincts, not to scorn them.

SgtBilko

Dreadful opening post David. Considering your background, I have thought you'd have known better that to praise an individual such as Finucane. This individual did somersaults defending the type of scumbag who have thought nothing about putting a bullet in your head.

Pat Finucane is where he belongs today and Northern Ireland is a safer place for it.

ItsEvolution

Religion is, in part, about death. Death is a key factor of our (or soldier ants') evolved instincts to group together in mutual protection. It is possible that religion arose as a "spandrel" of these instincts.

Obviously, our conscious mind can see that these instincts often lead to spectacularly bad results. But it seems to me that the answer is to channel these instincts, not to scorn them.
You video was propaganda american/jew muck, both toilets of countries and your glory to them are their military is puke worthy. You militarily and christian in my eyes the cancer of this planet. The less of your type the better.

Mickeymac

Dreadful opening post David. Considering your background, I have thought you'd have known better that to praise an individual such as Finucane. This individual did somersaults defending the type of scumbag who have thought nothing about putting a bullet in your head.

Pat Finucane is where he belongs today and Northern Ireland is a safer place for it.
Disgusting piece of blatant hatred, you should hang your head in shame pal.

DavidCaldwell

In the video (at 1:30), the girl putting her arm on her father's tomb is any child, from any society and any period since we evolved our instinct to mourn and commemorate our dead.

ItsEvolution

In the video (at 1:30), the girl putting her arm on her father's tomb is any child, from any society and any period since we evolved our instinct to mourn and commemorate our dead.
But these are dead soldiers and shouldn't be commemorated instead forgot about for their idiot nationalistic ways.

DavidCaldwell

Kemal Ataturk and the Australians who put his words on a monument in Canberra would have thought differently.

During the conflict, PIRA would quite happily have put a bullet through my head, and I would quite happily have called down an artillery barrage on them. The conflict is now over. We need to move towards reconciliation. Please read the OP again - it doesn't enter into the controversy about Finucane's actions.

Mickeymac

You came on masturbating to the opening post with its propaganda video you're one to talk about shame.

I feel absolutely no shame sir in praising folk like PF for their bravery.

War is horrible sir, there are better ways to resolve conflicts, unfortunately I have not the power to implement my views.

theloner

By 'somersaults', do you really mean defending clients?

DavidCaldwell

But these are dead soldiers and shouldn't be commemorated instead forgot about for their idiot nationalistic ways.
It needed soldiers to stop the Holocaust.

My thoughts are that we should remember the dead in such a way that it brings us together and makes war less likely. We should channel our instincts to protect our tribe towards the protection of all people, towards the end of war.

Have you thought about the fact that MickeyMac and I - in disagreement about many things - can find a common element in this video commemorating these dead. It is then not so difficult to generalise to all the dead of conflicts.