A United Ireland by 2012?

Guinnesslad

2012 is only five years away, which seems far too close as I'm not sure if ROI/NI are close enough (politically & economically) now for it to happen in 2012, but there seem to be signs of its (possible) rapid approach.
The UK abandoning the CTA really makes me wonder what implications for NI/ROI it will have/what else are the UK and ROI "up to."
No passport cheaks between ROI and NI, but cheaks between NI and GB make me feel like the transition of power is begining.

What do you guys think?

[edit: ROL?? What was I thinking..]

Ard-Taoiseach

That 2012 is waay too soon for a UI. I'd imagine a referendum on it mid-next decade and a process beginning in about 2016-17, with a UI by 2020. As much as it would be nice to have it in 2012, I fear we will have to wait that bit longer.

Aristotle II

You would not hear the likes of this on planet bertie. I take it Bertie will be leader of FG and George Bush will convert to Islam as well as Ian Paisley being made Pope at around the same time.

Aristotle II

Re: United ireland

Ard-Taoiseach said:
Dublinguy said:
No chance and hopefully not
Why? What's wrong with joining with our Northern brethren?
1) It would not involve us joining with them it would be them joining us, something that would require Unionist assent.
2) It would require the southern electorate to approve unification, which (and let us please accept this) would require significant tax increases in order to fund the subvention of NI. No-one will ever vote for something that is guaranteed to result in them losing significant amounts of money.
People may think with their hearts when it comes to NI but we will always vote with our pockets.

Ard-Taoiseach

Aristotle II said:
[quote="Ard-Taoiseach":1oo1f40y]
Dublinguy said:
1) It would no involve us joining with them it would be them joining us, something that would require Unionist assent.
2) It would require the southern electorate to approve unification, which (and let us please accept this) would require significant tax increases in order to fund the subvention of NI. No-one will ever vote for something that is guaranteed to result in them losing significant amounts of money.
People may think with their hearts when it comes to NI but we will always vote with our pockets.[/quote:1oo1f40y]

It may be expensive in the short run, but I see it as cheap in the long run. Tax rises may be avoided with borowing and sale of government assets. The economic boom in the north-east as they catch up with ROI living standards would provide the fiscal buoyancy required to pay for unification.

BuachaillBeo

Ard-Taoiseach said:
Dublinguy said:
It'll annoy the west brits.... obviously :roll: can't be having that... ;)
I think the biggest question is why it's "a" united Ireland and not "an".... every other word that I can think of that starts with a vowel gets the "an" treatment... why not "united".

I think 2012 seems a bit early alright, don't think it'll happen that soon.... though it'd be really really nice if it did! :)

BuachaillBeo

mcguirkj said:
We will not see an all-Ireland, Sovereign State, in our lifetimes.
*unnecessary amount of enters*
Thank Christ.
Fine Gael are lucky to have so many of ye're sort on p.ie alright.... doesn't propagate the west brit stereotype at all! :|

Ard-Taoiseach

BuachaillBeo said:
Ard-Taoiseach said:
Dublinguy said:
It'll annoy the west brits.... obviously :roll: can't be having that... ;)
I think the biggest question is why it's "a" united Ireland and not "an".... every other word that I can think of that starts with a vowel gets the "an" treatment... why not "united".
quote]

It is a united Ireland as the vowel sound is like a consonant.

Phonetically, it is;

Ay yoonited Eyerlahnd.

If it was a vowel sound, it would be phonetically spelled as:

An uhnyted Eyerlahnd.

That's why!

Amach na Casca

I reckon 2016 by the earliest. The anniversary of the rising, wouldn't that be sweet. :D If that deadline is missed, the WoI centenary will be coming up aswell. Nationalist sentiment will be at an all time high around this period!

Guinnesslad

Perhaps a more important question I should have asked is this:

Even if ROI and NI become united, will it really matter?
What with the EU and/or the possible joint security system the UK and ROI could have, will it really make a big difference? Or will it simply be a 'pride' issue.

Dublinguy

There is no need for it, the unionists won't want it and SF and their buddies up North won't like having to respect from societal norms...

geraghd

Ard-Taoiseach said:
Dublinguy said:
Why exclusively our Northern brethren?

Not an unrealistic assessment as UK starts to split up more and more then NI is left holding onto something which is become more split.

As for funding I reckon brits would be more than happy to pay us to take it off their hands combined with some funding from Uncle Sam and the EU.

2012 is optimistic but then again in 1984 the Berlin Wall was also there for ever. Rev Ian may have gone by then and there isn't a replacement available.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies