A United Ireland in the United Kingdom?

Unionist

Website
irishunionist.wetpaint.com
If there was a reffurendum tomorrow, How many people here who vote to rejoin the United Kingdom?

I mean there are no bad side effects of joining the United Kingdom - However paranoid Republicans or Nationalists might invent something e.g. Sínn Féin/IRA.

brenners'

Website
brenners1205.blogspot.com
Unionist said:
If there was a reffurendum tomorrow, How many people here who vote to rejoin the United Kingdom?

I mean there are no bad side effects of joining the United Kingdom - However paranoid Republicans or Nationalists might invent something e.g. Sínn Féin/IRA.
I didnt see the late late show so I have no real idea who will win the eurosong, however, I heard one of the contestants was thrown out so as they say its all still to play for.

david

Unionist said:

Not me, sorry, my friend, count me out.

Especially if I'm forced to endure such bad grammar.

badinage

If the question is confined to the 26 counties, then I'd guess about 1-2%.

I don't know if we would want Eire back, the place has gone to hell, I mean where are the Lord Northcliffes of today?

Nils

Unionist said:

It wouldn't be quite as close as the divorce referendum. I can envisage that it would be defeated something like 60:40 maybe.

hiding behind a poster

Unionist said:

Errr, who is this eejit?

bobbysands81

Unionist said:

Only the mentally ill would.

When we were governed from London we were treated like second class citizens.

As Thomas Wolfe once remarked "If a man makes a mistake and doesn't learn, then he has failed."

Re-joining the UK is the same as the battered wife continuously returning to the husband that beats her.

morryah

What about a % who would vote to rejoin the commonwealth? did I dream it or did Bertie mention that?

Ketchup

Nils said:
Unionist said:

It wouldn't be quite as close as the divorce referendum. I can envisage that it would be defeated something like 60:40 maybe.
United Ireland, but part of the UK, I can't see being anywhere near that close.

United Ireland, but part of the Commonwealth, like Australia, Canada, might be closer.

Can't see it being anywhere close to 50:50, though.

bobbysands81

morryah said:
What about a % who would vote to rejoin the commonwealth? did I dream it or did Bertie mention that?
Why oh why would Irish people wish to be subjects of a sectarian outdated inbred monarchy???

Talk about taking a step backwards???

The idea of any kind of monarchy is so out dated and absurd in a democratic society.

:roll:

Ketchup

bobbysands81 said:
morryah said:
Why oh why would Irish people wish to be subjects of a sectarian outdated inbred monarchy???

Talk about taking a step backwards???

The idea of any kind of monarchy is so out dated and absurd in a democratic society.
Some people would see that a compromise option. 32 county Ireland, ruled from Dublin, but part of the commonwealth. I don't think it would be anywhere near getting a majority, but I think a good slice of people would consider it.

hiding behind a poster

Ketchup said:
[

United Ireland, but part of the Commonwealth, like Australia, Canada, might be closer.

Can't see it being anywhere close to 50:50, though.

Its quite possible that at some point in the future, when there's been lots of deal-hammering between the governments and NI parties, that an agreement for a United Ireland will be put to the people for a referendum (after all, there ain't gonna be a happy handover the day the 50%-plus-one Catholic reaches voting age) - and part of that agreement may well include Ireland joining the Commonwealth, as an acknowledgement of the Unionist/British tradition on the island. With the carrot of a United Ireland dangling before them, it'd be interesting to see how people in the Republic vote.....

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
I would never vote to rejoin the United Kingdom. Just before independence, 80% of the industrial output of the island of Ireland was in the 6 counties that became Northern Ireland. Nowadays, 76% of it is in the Republic of Ireland, compared to 24% in the North. The lessons are clear. We are better off out of the UK. Northern incomes are also falling steadily behind those of Southerners.

Unionist

Website
irishunionist.wetpaint.com
I apoplogise for the poor grammer. I was rushing. I live in Southern Ireland and i know many people who would be quite happy if the illegal republic returned to her family.

As a nation known for its acceptance of all peoples im sure Ireland would be welcomed by all!

david

Unionist said:
I apoplogise for the poor grammer.
Apoplogises accepted.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
Unionist said:
I apoplogise for the poor grammer. I was rushing. I live in Southern Ireland and i know many people who would be quite happy if the illegal republic returned to her family.

As a nation known for its acceptance of all peoples im sure Ireland would be welcomed by all!
Then why don't they stand for election and see what sort of support they (don't) get? I recall there was someone from NI standing as an "Irish Unionist" a few years ago and got almost no votes.

We haven't forgotten the disaster that was Southern imprisonment in the Union against its will. Not least the contempt the British government and aristocratic English landlords showed to our cries for help in the Famine, the centuries of oppression of Catholics in the Penal Laws, and the destruction of our language and culture.

On Northern incomes falling behind ours note:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/12/ni_it_wages/
A survey carried out by Invest NI has shown that Belfast technology workers are among the lowest-paid in Europe. The report, carried out by Watson Wyatt on behalf of the Northern Ireland investment agency, said that high-tech salaries in Belfast are among the lowest of cities surveyed in the UK, Europe, the US and Canada. Only Bangalore in India, and Budapest and Prague in Eastern Europe, have lower salary levels, the report said.

In particular, the data proves that IT workers in Dublin tend to be paid dramatically more than their Belfast counterparts, with wages coming in 27 per cent higher on average in the capital of the Republic of Ireland.
The survey also showed that a head of IT in Dublin earns about 18 per cent more than the same worker in Belfast, who, on average, would be on about €91,251 per year.
A sign of the times. Unionist!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies