• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

A (Useful) Place to Discuss Irish Nationalism and 32 County Aspirations?

Hogsback

Is anyone aware of a (moderated) discussion group which focuses on the Irish Nationalist perspective in a manner which actually promotes a useful dialogue?

Discussions here suffer from repeated and predictable de-railment by a cast of usual members, aided by a pro-partition arrangement of the site structure and moderation policies.

In contrast I'd like to see a place where discussions assume, for example, the following premises (and the moderation policies are enforced as such)...

- Irish Independence - including the Easter Rising, WOI etc. was a good thing
- Ireland consists of 32 counties, and the aspiration to unite the 26 and the 6 are a good thing
- The Republican armed resistance in the North from 1969 until the GFA was justified
- Since the GFA (and up until now) armed republican resistance is not justified

These are all items which are being re-hashed endlessly here, and which prevent any kind of meaningful debate for people interested in exploring Irish Nationalism (historical and contemporary) in any kind of depth in my opinion.
In some cases they are used deliberately and cynically to avoid such discussion.

I'm not interested in party political sites (eg. SF) or 'continuity' type discussions (see point #4).
I do appreciate this would exclude a wide range of existing opinion, but this site is already available for that.

Does anyone know of such a place?

InsideImDancing

It's a good point Hogsback I'm not sure if a place exists although you could set up a group here on Pie (as Cruimh says), I'd be happy to join that. Groups do already exist but I don't think they are active. Here is a link which focuses on the census but if you read it you might find links to other sites.
Endgame In Ulster

macnessa

A very good idea Hogsback if only it were allowed to happen. I can see all kinds of attempts to derail it and you don't need to look further than this page to discover by whom. Worth a try though and ************************ the begrudgers.

Glaucon

I'm an Irish Nationalist but I don't see any reason whatever to accept your premises.
The idea of "enforcing" moderation policies that the Easter Rising was a good thing, Irish unity is a good thing, PIRA action post-1969 etc. is fatal to free thought and characteristic of religious-tinted dogma.

If Unionists are wrong, let them be proved wrong by argument. Simply stating, "these are truths that cannot be questioned" is arrant nonsense. Certainly no interesting discussion can come of it, beyond reinforcing one's own pre-existing views.

eoghanacht

IR.net.

Riven with Shinners so don't disparage the Dear Leader, else Seabird be down on you like a tonne of bricks.

eoghanacht

PULSE would be a good place to start ;)

Hogsback

I'm an Irish Nationalist but I don't see any reason whatever to accept your premises.
The idea of "enforcing" moderation policies that the Easter Rising was a good thing, Irish unity is a good thing, PIRA action post-1969 etc. is fatal to free thought and characteristic of religious-tinted dogma.

If Unionists are wrong, let them be proved wrong by argument. Simply stating, "these are truths that cannot be questioned" is arrant nonsense. Certainly no interesting discussion can come of it, beyond reinforcing one's own pre-existing views.
All fair points.
To be clear, I'm not trying to imply that any of these items are not worthy of discussion or open for debate.
There is huge territory to be covered in each of them , and the counterpoints to each of them are often strong and compelling.

Rather, I'd like to remove them from the scope of debate (in this specific case) to allow focus on areas which I feel are neglected due to undue time spent on them - and often cynically and deliberately as I mentioned in the OP.

Hogsback

It's a good point Hogsback I'm not sure if a place exists although you could set up a group here on Pie (as Cruimh says), I'd be happy to join that. Groups do already exist but I don't think they are active. Here is a link which focuses on the census but if you read it you might find links to other sites.
Endgame In Ulster
IID - the 'Blogspot' format comes across to me very much as 'leader led' as opposed to the format on here (which I actually quite like) where members can post and respond in a thread rather than as comments to a post.

Forgive my ignorance on p.ie 'groups'. Can someone educate me?

Cruimh - apologies I didn't pick up on what you meant when you posted. I thought you were implying I set up a separate site etc.

InsideImDancing

IID - the 'Blogspot' format comes across to me very much as 'leader led' as opposed to the format on here (which I actually quite like) where members can post and respond in a thread rather than as comments to a post.

Forgive my ignorance on p.ie 'groups'. Can someone educate me?

Cruimh - apologies I didn't pick up on what you meant when you posted. I thought you were implying I set up a separate site etc.
Basically you can set up a private group on Pie, which has the same format and like minded people can be invited or join or whatever. Cruimh would probably be able to give you more details on who moderates it or controls who can join etc.

It would be a pretty good idea if we could get it active, maybe use this thread to see if we can get a few heads to join. It is worth doing imo.

thegregster

Basically you can set up a private group on Pie, which has the same format and like minded people can be invited or join or whatever. Cruimh would probably be able to give you more details on who moderates it or controls who can join etc.

It would be a pretty good idea if we could get it active, maybe use this thread to see if we can get a few heads to join. It is worth doing imo.
Are you not already part of one?

http://www.politics.ie/groups/united-ireland.html

Cruimh

A very good idea Hogsback if only it were allowed to happen. I can see all kinds of attempts to derail it and you don't need to look further than this page to discover by whom. Worth a try though and ************************ the begrudgers.
There is nothing preventing it happening - and if Hogsback sets it up as a private group he gets to invite those he thinks meet his criteria - and has the power to expel anybody he thinks is disrupting the group.

http://www.politics.ie/faq.php?faq=vb3_user_profile#faq_vb3_social_groups

death or glory

InsideImDancing