• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

A vengeful Deity?

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
Three givens here:
  • I'm not a "believer"(though, admittedly, I've never been cowering in a foxhole).
  • I lurve, just lurve over-the-top oratory — and tub-thumpers like the late Dr Paisley in full rant satisfied that perverse indulgence — though keeping the straightest of faces required extreme self-discipline. Similarly a really good medieval heaven-and-hell (as this one at Albi, significantly in the heartland of the Cathars) tells us what religion was once all about:
  • And, last, I'm aware of Tony Perkins as a failed GOP politician, and a full-time bigot, running the ultra Family Research Council and one of those shouty anti-gay, anti-abortion, anti-anything else decent and liberal "Christian" propaganda operations. It should go without saying (but I'll say it all the same) that Perkins is pro-guns, anti-Islamic, and associates with white supremacists.
Currently the State of Louisiana is awash with a "Thousand Year Flood" — the kind of inundation that actuaries reckon should happen just once in a millennium — except, of course, counting Katrina in 2005, the millennium has visited Louisiana twice in just over a decade. Perkins and other palaeoconservatives remain climate sceptics, which must prove they'd all have had an actuarial bent, but failed the personality test.

Perkins and the Family Research Council, along with his fellow gay-bashers, invoke full-octane wrath, fire and brimstone:

You now have all the clues. Guess the punchline.

Yeah. Perkins interrupted his vacation to phone in to his own radio station. He lamented that he will be living in his camper throughout the winter, while he rebuilds his flooded home. He adds that 80% of his congregation, believers all, are homeless.

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Well that was unexpected. Maybe we should put it in the Zoo where it can prowl up and down behind the bars collecting novenas.

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
The Old Testament on closer reading shows that before every calamity numerous warnings were given, and every warning was willfully ignored, before what transpired came to pass.
I will start worrying if there is no October Surprise and when Mr Redacted takes a vow of poverty and joins a Monastery!:shock:

benroe

The Old Testament on closer reading shows that before every calamity numerous warnings were given, and every warning was willfully ignored, before what transpired came to pass.
Does the OT show why an omniscient god would issue warnings he knew would be ignored?

Seanie Lemass

The great thinkers of early Christianity, including our own Eriugena, were quite clear that the Old Testament was analogy.

He is well worth a read by the way! Fascinating stuff for 8th century.

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
Does the OT show why an omniscient god would issue warnings he knew would be ignored?
No, but the very nature of how we humans construct satisfying narrative requires there should be a warning, an intimation. It is a requirement for any novel. Even the crudest detective story or thriller will contain a clue, a "fore-shadowing", in the first chapter or so of how the plot will unravel.

Let's go a bit deeper, and deploy (drum-roll, tish!) Aristotle and Plato. But, since I've opened the second bottle, not too much thereof. In any story there has to be a central character, the "hero". This individual must not be too "heroic" to be credible: for example, the "hero" must know some fear — not too much, else he is craven; not too little, else he is rash and foolish. Which is why Ian Fleming's prime creation remains outside "literature", because he is incapable of "pathos" (and the generating of it in a reader).

Then there is a development in the concept of what is termed "hamartia". In classical terms this is usually rendered as "error" or "mistake": in classical tragedy the good man, the "protagonist" suffers reversal because of some mistake he has made — eminently so when it involves ignoring a divine portent (as benroe implies). That doesn't work any longer as early as Cervantes or Shakespeare. By then the "hamartia", the tragic flaw is one of character — particularly one which leads the protagonist into acts of viciousness and wickedness.

Wagmore

Opening poster says he's not a believer and quotes objective wackjobs as if they are a reflection of anything beyond the reality that humanity throws up objective wackjobs. If you're interested in displaying anything beyond sociopathic secular smugness, tell us you're thoughts on Dostoyevsky of Tolstoy maybe.Otherwise, yawn......

storybud1

Those were the days, sure 95% of the Universe is composed of Dark Matter/Energy and nobody gives a flying fook ?

But hey ? Scientists know it all , for now ?

We are in the stone age but we don't know it, until we can travel beyond our solar system we know squat!

There is no way anybody is going to take some God Freak Hillbilly seriously but there is no way only 2000 years of recoreded history is anything to go by. Sure at the moment only gays,trannys, "oppressed Western" women and welfare tourists from the 3rd world make sense according to the media selling their "victim" charity business model.

I want "Warp Travel" in my lifetime to happen, it would be so fantastic to meet other civilisations and be told that we are just a bunch of smegheads wrapped up in our own ego's .

firefly123

Those were the days, sure 95% of the Universe is composed of Dark Matter/Energy and nobody gives a flying fook ?

But hey ? Scientists know it all , for now ?

We are in the stone age but we don't know it, until we can travel beyond our solar system we know squat!

There is no way anybody is going to take some God Freak Hillbilly seriously but there is no way only 2000 years of recoreded history is anything to go by. Sure at the moment only gays,trannys, "oppressed Western" women and welfare tourists from the 3rd world make sense according to the media selling their "victim" charity business model.

I want "Warp Travel" in my lifetime to happen, it would be so fantastic to meet other civilisations and be told that we are just a bunch of smegheads wrapped up in our own ego's .
The main thing is that God created everything through will alone. The entire cosmos seen and unseen. The cumulative history of everything before the big bang to the formation of the universe to the creation of life and the eventual culmination of humans who worship Him in their many ways. All this glorious tapestry was created by his will alone. So stop wànking. He hates that.

He really should have given us T-Rex arms or stuck it between our shoulder blades or something.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
Katrina flooded from the sea.

The current flooding is from rain.

It royally fooking sucks for these people right now, two of whom from Lafayette, are staying in our house, because theirs is gone.

Making hay from their misery makes you a bit of a dick, Malcolm.

Where was such a thread last winter when Cork and the rest of the southeast of Ireland was being flooded out? Was that God's punishment for them?

Fück off down The Garden Gate and eat some more quinoa, why doncha.

Last edited:

benroe

The fact is every generation in recorded history has at one time or another believed itself to be the last, usually because of sodomy or the frequency with which we have sex without first having paid homage to some holy representative of an invisible deity.
But here we still are clinging to a rock hurtling through the dark unknown at the speed of light blissfully unaware of the dangers ahead, content to fight over temporary control of bits of our planet or selling our time to own the latest piece of plastic so that we may spread our innateness at greater speeds, busy being outraged at the temerity of conflicting myths and ideologies.

The end when it comes could be a huge rock from space or a tiny virus we cannot escape from, but alas our only hope of escape from these calamities and the salvation of the human race requires that we leave this planet, unless of course you happen to be religious and have attended the correct ceremonies performed the right rituals and done exactly what the men in elaborate costumes have told you to, then at least you can con yourself into believing you will be saved.

I personally think with the way things are shaping up that we will destroy ourselves, our sheer stupidity our penchant for delusion and our greed for material things will eventually lead to an unsustainable future, if we dont get a better grip of reality and stop fooling ourselves then we as a species are fukked.

GDPR

Whether or not there is a God and personally I see no reason to think there is one, its obvious all this "faggot-trolling" etc is pure projection by the Churches who advocate it.

Why anyone would want to be a member of a congregation which seems to focus relentlessly on cardboard hate figures when not terrorising its own adherents is beyond me, but then in the UK, we have Young Conservatives, so whaddya, whaddya ..

ruserious

God doesn't exist so can we end the conversation at that?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies