• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

A walk through the Country of England 2016 - or why the English Working Class voted to get out of the EU

Catalpast

A walk through the Country of England 2016 - or why the English Working Class voted to get out of the EU

There have been now volumes of print and God knows how many internet pages devoted as to why the English Working Class turned their backs on the Political Establishment

- esp the Labour Party

- and voted in such huge numbers to Leave the EU

Basically they just had enough of being treated as 2nd class citizens in their own Country

- and left at the back of the Q

I came across this article in todays Guardian which is refreshingly honest IMO as to why they want to get out

- before things get even worse....

On 2 May this year, I set off to walk from Liverpool to London, a journey of 340 miles that would take me a month. I was walking in the footsteps of the People’s March for Jobs, a column of 300-odd unemployed men and women who, on the same day in 1981, exactly 35 years previously, had set off from the steps of St George’s Hall to walk to Trafalgar Square...when I awoke last Friday to the result of the EU referendum, I wasn’t remotely surprised

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/27/liverpool-london-brexit-leave-eu-referendum

Franzoni

The danger now is the Leave crowd have built up an expectation with 17 million people in places the like Salford and other places and area's like that....

We had a similar experience when we got rid of of FF after 14 years...now we see a hardening and polarizing of positions in society here on the ground with the politicos still not listening .... i expect the same in Britain in the coming months when the pace of change isn't quick enough....

The difference with us is we don't really do riots on the scale the Brits do and that's where i see this going eventually....

I suppose what most people looking from outside the UK find strange is why people who are now witnessing generations of their own families who have never worked due to the policies of Thatcher think the likes of Gove,Farage and Johnson have the answers and care about them..?

Some of the leave side have openly admitted they favour immigration from commonwealth countries instead of the EU as they did pre EEC entry.....

Last edited:

Irish-Rationalist

The British working class, the English in particular, rose up last week and staged a coup d'etat. They utilised democracy to their advantage, and informed the political elite that they were still there, hadn't gone away, and were reclaiming their country. It was a beautiful, peaceful, quiet revolution.

A view from England

The danger now is the Leave crowd have built up an expectation with 17 million people in places the like Salford and other places and area's like that....

We had a similar experience when we got of of FF after 14 years...now we see a hardening and polarizing of positions in society here on the ground with the politicos still not listening .... i expect the same in Britain in the coming months when the pace of change isn't quick enough....

The difference with us is we don't really do riots on the scale the Brits do and that's where i see this going eventually....
The Remain supporting media such as the BBC and Sky are really sh1t stirring and talking the country down and this is not helping to pull the warring sides together.
As regards riots I think the vast majority of Leavers are aware that sorting things out will take time and they will be patient. However if MP's attempt to hold a 2nd referendum or try and fix a deal that involves general freedom of movement then things could kick off big time.

Franzoni

The Remain supporting media such as the BBC and Sky are really sh1t stirring and talking the country down and this is not helping to pull the warring sides together.
As regards riots I think the vast majority of Leavers are aware that sorting things out will take time and they will be patient. However if MP's attempt to hold a 2nd referendum or try and fix a deal that involves general freedom of movement then things could kick off big time.

I think they will kick off 'big time' sooner rather than later from what were hearing over the last few days...Johnson himself is talking about slowing the whole thing down...

It would seem quite a few think all they have to do is stick a return ticket into the pockets of whoever they don't want and say bye bye....

I wish you all the best of luck... i think you are going to need it....

Cellachán Chaisil

The British working class, the English in particular, rose up last week and staged a coup d'etat. They utilised democracy to their advantage, and informed the political elite that they were still there, hadn't gone away, and were reclaiming their country. It was a beautiful, peaceful, quiet revolution.
Which definition of rationalist are you using?

This was the result of hubris. Puffed up nationalistic wind and pish. The idea that the European Union was holding Britain back when it turns out, it was propping it up.

Catalpast

Hell hath no fury like a People scorned....

- the Establishment better take note

Otherwise England will drift into a Civil War type situation

They have to put a stop to Mass Immigration

- they are on the edge already

GDPR

Which definition of rationalist are you using?

This was the result of hubris. Puffed up nationalistic wind and pish. The idea that the European Union was holding Britain back when it turns out, it was propping it up.
Neo-Liberalism and Yankee domination is not rationalism whatever your definition. Now England is free to sort out its internal problems; I hope the ROI, Greece and France leave soon too.

Cellachán Chaisil

Neo-Liberalism and Yankee domination is not rationalism whatever your definition. Now England is free to sort out its internal problems; I hope the ROI, Greece and France leave soon too.
The dominant neo-liberal force in the EU were the Brits. They chaffed under any sort of regulation.

I take it you have difficulty with the word ratio as well?

flavirostris

What I really find sickening is the amount of media & establishment figures in Ireland lining up to tut-tut about the rise of 'xenophobia & racism' in England.

You know nothing about it you twats. You live in a still very homogenous, not diverse country. How dare you scold the English, many of whom had had it up to the back teeth with grooming gangs, ghettoes and demands for Sharia law in their own country.

GDPR

The dominant neo-liberal force in the EU were the Brits. They chaffed under any sort of regulation.

I take it you have difficulty with the word ratio as well?
It was Old Labour heartlands that voted most strongly to leave. The EU is about a race to the bottom and as the examples of Greece and Portugal have shown putting into practice Socially Just policies within it is nigh near impossible.

Cellachán Chaisil

It was Old Labour heartlands that voted most strongly to leave. The EU is about a race to the bottom and as the examples of Greece and Portugal have shown putting into practice Socially Just policies within it is nigh near impossible.
No. The Tories are about a race to the bottom. The Tories opposed any sort of regulation at EU level. The Tories neo-liberal policies placed drastic cuts on public services that overcrowded the NHS and put public services under massive strain. The Tories are the ones who caused old labour heartlands to suffer. Only Eurosceptic tories many to couch it in nationalistic terms and allow the EU to take a kicking. And whose going to suffer now?

Cellachán Chaisil

What I really find sickening is the amount of media & establishment figures in Ireland lining up to tut-tut about the rise of 'xenophobia & racism' in England.

You know nothing about it you twats. You live in a still very homogenous, not diverse country. How dare you scold the English, many of whom had had it up to the back teeth with grooming gangs, ghettoes and demands for Sharia law in their own country.
Where are you living?

Catalpast

No. The Tories are about a race to the bottom. The Tories opposed any sort of regulation at EU level. The Tories neo-liberal policies placed drastic cuts on public services that overcrowded the NHS and put public services under massive strain. The Tories are the ones who caused old labour heartlands to suffer. Only Eurosceptic tories many to couch it in nationalistic terms and allow the EU to take a kicking. And whose going to suffer now?
The English working class see it somewhat differently

- sure Thatcher shut down a lot of traditional industries and broke the Unions

- but Labour under Blair opened up the UK to a vast immigration of cheaper labour from the NAS States post 2004

- and undermined the few low paid jobs that were left for the taking

They don't want any more bloody immigration

- they just want their Country back

PS Sooner or later this will happen here too....

Cellachán Chaisil

The English working class see it somewhat differently

- sure Thatcher shut down a lot of traditional industries and broke the Unions

- but Labour under Blair opened up the UK to a vast immigration of cheaper labour from the NAS States post 2004

- and undermined the few low paid jobs that were left for the taking

They don't want any more bloody immigration

- they just want their Country back

PS Sooner or later this will happen here too....
Then they voted for the wrong deal because Brexiters are rowing back on their claims that they will cut immigration.

They've been suckered by populists.

GDPR

Look according to the likes of Mercurial and The Guardian any ordinary working class English lad or lass showing the slightest affection no mind pride in country is "racism and xenophobia".

GDPR

Then they voted for the wrong deal because Brexiters are rowing back on their claims that they will cut immigration.

Well than it was a case of damned if you do and damned if dont but by doing you open up more opportunities for other people breaking free.

statsman

Deluded nonsense. The British working class, such as it is, voted in favour of its native Neo-Liberal elite. I, for one, hope the suffer the full consequences of their blind folly.

Franzoni

And that's where the trouble will start when the realization kicks in.....

I say this with no pleasure as i have family and friends in Britain and we don't need it on our doorstep......

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies