A winter of discontent ahead??

robut

Yes .. we had the start of it with the recent Bus strikes .. still ongoing potentially.

Now we have the GARDAI:

Gardaí vote overwhelmingly for industrial action on pay - Independent.ie

Members of the Garda Representative Association were balloted on whether they were willing to take industrial action over pay - despite them being legally restricted from going on strike.

It has emerged that 95% of those polled voted in favour.

Add the Teachers:

Union boss sees teachers ‘heading for full strike’

The head of a secondary school teachers union has said he believes his members “are heading towards an all out strike”.

The president of the Association of Secondary Teachers Ireland (ASTI), Ed Byrne, said his 17,000 members will not accept the Lansdowne Road Agreement (LRA) as they want “collegiality amongst teachers” where there is “equal pay” for “equal work”.

Its members are voting for industrial action “up to and including an all-out strike” if the pay of new entrants since 2011 is not put back on a par with longer-serving teachers.
AND .... the Nurses:

Nurses' strike may be on cards | BreakingNews.ie

A strike by nurses and midwives could be on the cards, if one group of graduates does not receive a pay rise.

The INMO, the PNA and SIPTU are staging a protest outside the Dáil today, before meeting with Health Minister Simon Harris.
They are calling for an incremental credit to be restored for those who graduated between 2011 and 2015.

Rinse and repeat .. so here we go again. No doubt all these will get resolved with - in the main - the increases granted ( no mention of productivity of course ). This then will push the cost of living up further for the rest of us in the Private sector who generally dont / cant strike? And will not be getting any or small pay increases?

Can i drag out this phrase again? ... We learned nothing did we? Same old same old .. but this time the gap between public and private sector wage is going to grow even more in an environment we can ill afford economically?

And i might mention the PENSIONS Bomb costs on the way. Particularly in the public sector now that that pension fund put away by McCreevey is bled dry ..

Feel free to add more imminent strikes I missed ..

Franzoni

Admin staff in the hospitals were balloted also recently i think....

Betson

As you say rinse and repeat , we will be back to boom time pay levels in no time.

Then we hit the Economic bump be it Brexit or whatever and que the usual 'to be fair nobody saw that coming' line from our politicians as we deal wit the next crisis.

And just like the last time when all the parties cheered on FF when they went on as unsustainable spurge , the opposition parties do the exact same here.

robut

Well Betson ... this time around thank the stars that we have no BERTIE AHERNE. I dont think so anyway?

Bertie's resolution du jour was to go into "negotiations" with public sector unions with the open cheque book and payout. No wonder resolutions were swift and cheered.

So Bertie did not have great negotiation skills in this regard. Paying out generously without asking for something back like productivity is not negotiaition?

And remember this - once something is given it is not easy, if impossible to take it back. Anything given now .. again .. will remain as a cost through boom or crash ..

daveL

Well Betson ... this time around thank the stars that we have no BERTIE AHERNE. I dont think so anyway?

Bertie's resolution du jour was to go into "negotiations" with public sector unions with the open cheque book and payout. No wonder resolutions were swift and cheered.

So Bertie did not have great negotiation skills in this regard. Paying out generously without asking for something back like productivity is not negotiaition?

And remember this - once something is given it is not easy, if impossible to take it back. Anything given now .. again .. will remain as a cost through boom or crash ..
well the hard nosed approach has only succeeded in ceasing services, losing money for everyone and ultimately the employers are caving anyway..

Luas management caved after being all billy big balls

DB management are also going to cave

maybe de bert just wasn't interested in the whole charade..

SeanieFitz

I understood that the CPA's and HRA delivered increased productivity across the PS? This included additional hours, ban on overtime, reduced leave, increased flexibility, cross sector staff movement, embargo on recruitment, reduction in terms of sick leave, additional duties, cut in allowances, some allowances abolished etc etc. And this was in addition to paycuts and levies and no pay increases for 8 years or so. Is this not the case?

robut

well the hard nosed approach has only succeeded in ceasing services, losing money for everyone and ultimately the employers are caving anyway..

Fair enough daveL. So what we should do is set up a dept of payouts? Any union can just go there and name their price whenever they like with nothing in return?

Return might be productivity or waving job for life or setting up a system where PS workers pay into their own private pension fund?

Just asking, is that the type of angle you propose OR have you another .. just interested to hear.

robut

I understood that the CPA's and HRA delivered increased productivity across the PS? This included additional hours, ban on overtime, reduced leave, increased flexibility, cross sector staff movement, embargo on recruitment, reduction in terms of sick leave, additional duties, cut in allowances, some allowances abolished etc etc. And this was in addition to paycuts and levies and no pay increases for 8 years or so. Is this not the case?
Thank you SeanieFitz .. thats why i added a QUESTION MARK at the end of that sentence, I was asking :D

Franzoni

The online Gaelers are adam-ant that the gubbermint won't give in....

What then for Lord Ross who has made large of his unwillingness to get involved along with his empty pockets.......?

Will he eat humble pie or walk the walk...?

daveL

Fair enough daveL. So what we should do is set up a dept of payouts? Any union can just go there and name their price whenever they like with nothing in return?

Return might be productivity or waving job for life or setting up a system where PS workers pay into their own private pension fund?

Just asking, is that the type of angle you propose OR have you another .. just interested to hear.
Interesting take on what I posted

robut

Not sure what point you are trying to make with that reply but, whatever
None, just take it as a thank you for answering my question:

"So Bertie did not have great negotiation skills in this regard. Paying out generously without asking for something back like productivity is not negotiaition?"

You answered ending with "Is this not the case?" .. so i was thanking you for the answer, no rebutal :D ..

SeanieFitz

None, just take it as a thank you for answering my question:

"So Bertie did not have great negotiation skills in this regard. Paying out generously without asking for something back like productivity is not negotiaition?"

You answered ending with "Is this not the case?" .. so i was thanking you for the answer, no rebutal :D ..
AFAIK Bertie was riding into the sunset when the CPA's and HRA were implemented

tigerben

Normally I'd eye roll at the public sector who are well paid and pensioned on talks of a strikes . We are seemingly are awash with money turning down Apple tax, talk of get returnees home on less tax, government pay advisors able to get past set paid limits, multi nationals able to pay less than the 12.5% tax on clever accountancy , vulture funds able to buy up half the country and use charitable tax status to pay no or little tax and many more so we all should have our hands out. I hope Noonan and Kenny never sit comfortable again .

fliball1234

We need to get away from social partnership..the people working in this country are being absolutely raped for tax and the services they get in return are poor at best. We need to restructure income tax so everyone pays something and it being as progressive as it is at the moment. We then need to set a % of what we take in for spending on each dept as in social welfare say 20% , PS pay 20% etc.. Then they the different departments have to remain within budget and make cuts, give people the chop or cut pensions to phuckwits like bertie. The tax payer should not be seen as a sugar daddy we pay more than enough. If the unions don't like it they should be broken thatcher style. The government should of done something back when the luas went on strike as in provided buses for free while they were on strike and give Transdev what they were losing while the strike went on and let the over paid workers go to hell. We now have the knock on effect where every PS and semi state sector piggie think they should be the first piggies back at the trough. Its disgusting and the idea that a country can be held for ransom by the cohort of bearded cossetted class who play the poor card from the hands of platinum ladened fingers and Rolex watches (and not the 20 Euro knock offs you can get in the markets).

wombat

8 years of discontent. One more winter will hardly kill us.
What our friends in RTE forget as they hype up the possibilities of strikes is that going on strike means loss of earnings, once a strike lasts longer than 2 weeks, its doubtful if the settlement will make up for the lost earnings.

blokesbloke

I like a nice strike, I have taken biscuits, sweets, crisps, drinks etc to picket lines a few times now.

I called one of them "brother". It made me feel terribly butch and working class!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies