Abbey Theatre: Whatever you do, dont mention the Crisis

Cael

Just looking at the program of our so called national theatre, and in the program there is absolutely no play or event with any reference to the crisis in our country - its like the Abbey is living in a different dimension. Of course, the Gate is just as bad, with a really cynical production of Jane Eyre.

Is Irish theatre only about escapism these days? Does anyone even care?

florin

They also showed the Plough and the Stars and David McWilliams' "The Outsiders". And I think it was you who complained earlier about the lack of Irish-language plays - Idir an Dá Shúil is running in December.

asset test

Such dramas are playing out before our eyes. No need for Abbey/Gate/Peacock etc. We are living the dream, sorry drama.

Plays will be written in 2014 onwards when we know the extent of this awful business. Today it is just speculation, no one knows, and we are not told either. So we are the actors/actressess in this play as we speak.

darkknight

Just looking at the program of our so called national theatre, and in the program there is absolutely no play or event with any reference to the crisis in our country ...
Not true.

They just finished a run of Ibsen's John Gabriel Borkman

plot (wiki)
The play is based on an incident that Ibsen recorded from an earlier period in his life, the attempted suicide of an army officer who had been accused of embezzlement. The Borkman family fortunes have been brought low by the imprisonment of John Gabriel who used his position as a bank manager to illegally speculate with his investors' money....

(Though, admittedly, if Borkman had lived in Ireland, it is very unlikely that he would have been jailed!)

He3

Corkonians have bought every last available ticket tonight for the touring Abbey Production of David McWilliams' Outsiders Cael - you are doing them an injustice this time.

idle tim

Just looking at the program of our so called national theatre, and in the program there is absolutely no play or event with any reference to the crisis in our country - its like the Abbey is living in a different dimension. Of course, the Gate is just as bad, with a really cynical production of Jane Eyre.

Is Irish theatre only about escapism these days? Does anyone even care?
Cael i doubt you are a listener of Joe Duffys Liveline but if his show of last Friday is available on podcast i suggest you have a listen.His ratings are supposedly the highest in the Country so it will give you and idea how RTE operates.

Cael

They also showed the Plough and the Stars and David McWilliams' "The Outsiders". And I think it was you who complained earlier about the lack of Irish-language plays - Idir an Dá Shúil is running in December.

Idir Dhá Shúil is not an Abbey production. An Taibhdhearc is just renting the Peacock. The Plough and the Stars was to the point in its time, but it certainly couldnt be considered an adequate response to whats going on at the moment.

Cael

Corkonians have bought every last available ticket tonight for the touring Abbey Production of David McWilliams' Outsiders Cael - you are doing them an injustice this time.
Is Outsiders not a one man show? Basically watching David McWillaims do on stage what he does on TV. How is this an Abbey production? I think if the Abbey are getting 30 million of taxpayers money, we should expect a bit more than McWilliams repeating on stage what he says on TV every day.

Last edited:

Cael

Not true.

They just finished a run of Ibsen's John Gabriel Borkman

plot (wiki)
The play is based on an incident that Ibsen recorded from an earlier period in his life, the attempted suicide of an army officer who had been accused of embezzlement. The Borkman family fortunes have been brought low by the imprisonment of John Gabriel who used his position as a bank manager to illegally speculate with his investors' money....

(Though, admittedly, if Borkman had lived in Ireland, it is very unlikely that he would have been jailed!)
Ah give me a break. Is that the best the Abbey can do? Can't Frank McGuinness think of anything to write about Ireland? Did we so desperately need a new English language translation of a classic play? Is this really what the "national theatre" has sunk to? Doing re-translations of 19th century classics?

Last edited:

justme1

People need to be able to get away from reality for an hour or two :(

Idiotic thread :)
Sorry i don't agree with you saying this is an 'Idiotic thread',on your point of 'People need to be able to get away from reality for an hour or two' i suggest you/them go to the cinema or watch a movie on your telly.

Cael

Sorry i don't agree with you saying this is an 'Idiotic thread',on your point of 'People need to be able to get away from reality for an hour or two' i suggest you/them go to the cinema or watch a movie on your telly.
Indeed, if the Abbey is just there for escapism and recycling classics, then it doesnt need a 30 million euro grant.

justme1

indeed, if the abbey is just there for escapism and recycling classics, then it doesnt need a 30 million euro grant.
+100

Cael

whats really sad is that hardly anyone even cares what the Abbey does or doesnt do. Its utterly marginal to Irish life. Im wondering why I even care.

Sync

Oh look it's another Cael thread on the abbey where he demonstrates his complete ignorance of the place. I love these.

"terz noting on de recession"

"Actually there are 2 acts relating to it"

"dats not enuf, u're all rite wing hitlerz!!!"

Shine on you crazy diamond.

Cael

Oh look it's another Cael thread on the abbey where he demonstrates his complete ignorance of the place. I love these.

"terz noting on de recession"

"Actually there are 2 acts relating to it"

"dats not enuf, u're all rite wing hitlerz!!!"

Shine on you crazy diamond.
If you understand that post, I guess that's enough...

conservative green

Agreed, Cael. I only know where the Abbey is because I happen to work nearby. I think I was only in the place once. Possibly, there are more relevant and topical statements being made by local youth groups creating art waiting for permission from official Ireland, but if so you will not hear about them in mainstream media of official Ireland of which the Abbey is a part. If there is hope, it lies in the young, paraphrasing Orwell.

Cael

But, it does raise some interesting questions. Are Irish playwrights completley economically illiterate and unable to write a play about the current situation of the Irish people? Or, could it be that they are well able to write such a play, but they know the Abbey wouldnt produce it for fear of upsetting their paymasters?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies