Abolish Seanad Éireann and the office of the presidency

mickinclare

Does anyone feel that Seanad Éireann, should be scrapped, I feel that that this is not only a waste of time but an absolute waste of tax payers money, I also believe that the office of the president should be abolished, and that the number of TDs should be halved.

your comments please

DOD

Could not agree more and I have said so consistently. A waste of money and effort.

mickinclare

I don't feel this issue is crap, i believe the fact that the way Seanad Éireann's members are selected is an absolurte scandal and open to all types of abuse.

jayblue

I actually think that the Seanad could be made more relevant, and more opened in the way it is elected. Regarding the President, I would like us to go more down a frenh styled system where the president is the actual head of the government and he appoints the government etc, so the president would appoint the taoiseach etc, I think also that the number of tds should be reduce to around 140, with around 100 elected from our current system and the remaining 40 from a list system, and I would also like to see that the elections for the dail and the seanad occur on the same day, thus preventing tds who have been rejected by the people been elected to the seanad.

stanley

These are wonderful ideas, but get rid of the Bert and his rabble first and while you are at it have a go at the Civil Service and their bank-breaking wage agreements and something radical needs to be done about pension funding other than just moving the age, but mind you it is a good simple start.

Insider2007

stanley said:
These are wonderful ideas, but get rid of the Bert and his rabble first and while you are at it have a go at the Civil Service and their bank-breaking wage agreements and something radical needs to be done about pension funding other than just moving the age, but mind you it is a good simple start.
It is a bit ridiculous to start worrying about the Seanad and presidency when we have Bert and his cronies to get out. That is a damn sight more important. Worrying about the Seanad and presidency is a bit like being so worried about what to have for dessert that you forget to order the main course.

total

i think we should keep the seanad but reform it and change the voting powers, at present it is a breeding ground for future TDs and people who could argue in an empty room. The president should have a more hands on approach and should be elected every four years instead of seven. It just gets too stale and we're going to have 14 years of the same president

Biffo

mickinclare said:
Does anyone feel that Seanad Éireann, should be scrapped, I feel that that this is not only a waste of time but an absolute waste of tax payers money, I also believe that the office of the president should be abolished, and that the number of TDs should be halved.

your comments please
Does anyone feel that poorly worded and poorly thought out threads should be subject to some sort of screening before arriving in the latest discussion menu? You cannot simply aboilsh the head of state and why half the number of TDs exactly?

gaelach

Biffo said:
mickinclare said:

your comments please
Does anyone feel that poorly worded and poorly thought out threads should be subject to some sort of screening before arriving in the latest discussion menu? You cannot simply aboilsh the head of state and why half the number of TDs exactly?
Ah sure, God Bless these people, they don't think things true...

Ambrose

i think the seanad and presidency should be abolished, its a waste of money.

i also think the westminster political system we've adopted is retarded and would prefer the american and french system of a president choosing his/her own cabinet. it would be much more productive than being stuck in a coalition with a party you dont even like.

total

well you seem like a smart man so i will explain quickly. Supply and demand exists on a basis of what people demand to talk about then it will be supplied, you dont like the system then you know where FF headquarters are. This is a debate that can be brought up at any time with any relevance and just because you have a personal dislike can't stop a system being put in place so whatever you dont find relevant can be put into your own hae pile. Like it or lump it

Insider2007

Biffo said:
mickinclare said:

your comments please
Correct.

jayblue

reducing the number of tds because if we use the maximum threshold of 30,000 people per td and the last census we would be talking about 147 tds to be exact, it was quite amazing that when people were shouting about under.over representation of certain constituencies no one was talking about reducing the number of tds.

gaelach

Ambrose said:
i think the seanad and presidency should be abolished, its a waste of money.

i also think the westminster political system we've adopted is retarded and would prefer the american and french system of a president choosing his/her own cabinet. it would be much more productive than being stuck in a coalition with a party you dont even like.
*sigh*

Which system do you want, French or American*?

*They're different, Just thought I'd let you know.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
Biffo said:
mickinclare said:

your comments please
Biffo, such threads remain as a means to establish the lazy and inconsequential amongst the flock. mickinclare will be demanding within a few short weeks that people read all his previous post before responding.

Toulucifer

total said:
i think the system we have is good as no one party has too much power.

Exactly, a presidential system puts too much power in the hands of one man and there is not enough accountability. The westminister model has shown to be the best system, placing the power in the parliament rather than a presidential or semi presidential system.

I do agree that the senate needs to be abolished but i don't agree with reducing the number of TDs, in fact i think they need to reduce constituency sizes.

Respvblica

mickinclare said:

your comments please
I would rather reform them and put them to better use. We need better system of checks and balances, something that can regulate and monitor the positions of power. It seems to me that the Dail is not eactly 100% effective in ensuring this.
As to the role of president, I am personally opposed to the idea of a head of state, but the I think there is value for a "guardian" of the constitution. Men like Hillary understood this well.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies