Aboriginal lives don't matter? The cruel death of one young native Australian woman.

O

Oscurito

The Australia police and hospital care system have been slammed over the death in custody of an Australian Aboriginal woman referred to as Ms Dhu (her given name isn't used for cultural reasons).

She had been taken into custody on August 2nd, 2014 at South Hedland police station in West Australia but soon afterwards started complaining of severe chest pains. She was taken to hospital but a doctor dismissed her problems as "behavioural issues".

She actually had a broken rib which was turning severely septicaemic.

Another trip to hospital the following day resulted in more unprofessional treatment. There was a general assumption that her pain was caused by drug withdrawal symptoms. No X-ray was performed on her chest.

Footage has emerged from South Headlands of an unconscous Ms Dhu being pulled from her bed and slammed onto the floor before being dragged out of her call and along the corridor.

She was taken to hospital for a third time on August 5th where she died from septicaemia and pneumonia resulting from a broken rib.

Why had she been taken into custody? An unpaid fine.

No-one has been held accountable for her death.

'Ms Dhu' inquest: Aboriginal woman's treatment 'inhumane' - BBC News

The Guardian: Ms Dhu endured 'inhumane treatment' by police before death in custody – coroner

[video=youtube;FJo0rxkMILw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJo0rxkMILw[/video]

Trainwreck

What was the fine for ?

Fines, apparently:

The case of Ms Dhu

THE CASE OF MISS DHU

Miss Dhu, 22, was an Aboriginal woman arrested along with her boyfriend Dion Ruffin and locked up in the Pilbara mining town of Port Hedland on August 2, 2014. She was dead two days later. Her detention was over unpaid fines totalling $3622 that stemmed from several offences, including assaulting a policewoman. Her court record was considered minor.

HER DEATH

She was taken to hospital on each of the three days she was at the watchhouse after complaining of severe pain when breathing a couple of hours after being arrested.

Miss Dhu had a broken rib, which the coronial inquest heard was caused by Mr Ruffin physically assaulting her. She did not know the rib was infected and the cause of her increasing agony. Doctors failed to diagnose it on the first two days and did not take her temperature. On her third visit, Ms Dhu was in cardiac arrest, attempts to resuscitate her failed and she died from staphylococcal septicaemia and pneumonia that spread to her lungs.

It seems she was a victim of domestic violence, not racism.

O

Oscurito

If I assaulted a policewoman, yep, probably would.
So you think that Australian medical professionals check someone's record before deciding what level of care they deserve.

I can only assume that you have a truly amazing mulled wine recipe.

blokesbloke

Very sad case.

Impossible to say if she was treated this way because she was Aboriginal, it's certainly a possibility but you'd need proof.

There are other factors here - she had previous for assaulting a police officer, so she does have a history of violence and assaulting a police officer may well be a more likely explanation for her treatment in custody than her race.

If she was a drug user then that may have been a factor in her poor medical care... medical staff making incorrect assumptions about her symptoms.

Not saying either of those things are right either, but they may be why she was treated that way rather than being Aboriginal.

I also don't understand the implication that she should never have been in custody for failing to pay a fine.

If you fail to pay a fine then you should end up in custody - and she had a substantial amount of unpaid fines for more than one offence, including assaulting a police officer.

I don't consider any of that to be trivial... and I disagree her court record was "minor" - who "considered it minor"?

Assault isn't minor in my book.

Trainwreck

PBP voter

Auz like NZ is a neo-liberal post colonial dumping ground for the UK.

Nothing more.

Any non-indigenous person who goes to live in either of these two kips is no better than Cromwell.

Stealing all the wealth and oppressing the natives.

O

Oscurito

Very sad case.

Impossible to say if she was treated this way because she was Aboriginal, it's certainly a possibility but you'd need proof.

There are other factors here - she had previous for assaulting a police officer, so she does have a history of violence and assaulting a police officer may well be a more likely explanation for her treatment in custody than her race.

If she was a drug user then that may have been a factor in her poor medical care... medical staff making incorrect assumptions about her symptoms.

Not saying either of those things are right either, but they may be why she was treated that way rather than being Aboriginal.

I also don't understand the implication that she should never have been in custody for failing to pay a fine.

If you fail to pay a fine then you should end up in custody - and she had a substantial amount of unpaid fines for more than one offence, including assaulting a police officer.

I don't consider any of that to be trivial... and I disagree her court record was "minor" - who "considered it minor"?

Assault isn't minor in my book.
There's a massive difference in "being a factor in" and "justifying".

She showed no aggression towards police so there was no reason for the brutal treatment - unless the police wanted to take revenge.

This issue of sending someone to prison for non-payment of fines has been discussed in this country. I hope they've reformed things because custody is an utterly asinine response. They end up worse off and less able to pay the fine. Take it out of their salary, cut their s/w payments, whatever. Sending them to prison is too stupid for words.

Cellachán Chaisil

There's a massive difference in "being a factor in" and "justifying".

She showed no aggression towards police so there was no reason for the brutal treatment - unless the police wanted to take revenge.

This issue of sending someone to prison for non-payment of fines has been discussed in this country. I hope they've reformed things because custody is an utterly asinine response. They end up worse off and less able to pay the fine. Take it out of their salary, cut their s/w payments, whatever. Sending them to prison is too stupid for words.
You should know by now, you need sworn affidavits from every party declaring they're completely and unapologetically racist/homophobic in order to prove they such, but to be an Islamic terrorist all you need is a funny tan and a beard.

Clanrickard

She had previously assaulted a policewoman so I'd say they were wary.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt

Nothing more.

Any non-indigenous person who goes to live in either of these two kips is no better than Cromwell.

Hysterical, Ignorant cretin. Still, what would you expect from someone who votes for hysterical ignorant cretins?

Clanrickard

Wary?? Did you watch the video?

Unconscious women in serious pain tend not to be very threatening.
On the video yes. I know Guards who have been assaulted by people that seemed to be docile even in one case asleep.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Do you think white people get disregarded like that in Australian hospitals?
Ferals can. Especially in hospitals that spend a lot of time cleaning up after ferals. Their colour doesn't matter. You want this story to conform to a narrative that doesn't exist in reality. This poor woman's death seems to have been as miserable as her life. Sad.

O

Oscurito

On the video yes. I know Guards who have been assaulted by people that seemed to be docile even in one case asleep.
If this happened, do you not think it strange that the police never recorded it or never mentioned it during the inquest?

blokesbloke

Nothing more.

:D

Hope Sidey sees this post, I'd love to see his reaction to being told he's no better than Cromwell!

What do you think the non-indigenous people who were born there should do? Are they okay to stay?

What about Canada and the USA? They have native peoples too.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies