• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Abortion: Is news agenda being manipulated to help govt?

Big Brother

In last Sunday's Business Post Praveen Halapannavar's solicitor is cited as saying he drip fed stories to media to maximise media exposure (sorry can't give full link to story as its subscription based access). He is cited as saying he *held back* elements of the story.

The Sunday Business Post

Last week Justice Minister Alan Shatter announced a report into the Magdalene laundries next month. This should be done. In fact it should have been done years ago. Which begs the question if this is also being "held back" to coincide with planned abortion legislation?

This week RTE & The Irish Times (which on social issues back Labour and liberal side of FG) suddenly play up a story about rebel priest Father Flannery who is complaining that the Vatican are trying to keep the catholici church catholic. Father Flannery's position has been known for over a year. So why is it being given traction now? Is it a coincidence that a fully fledged abortion debate is under way?

At the same time the huge pro life demonstration on Saturday was downplayed getting far less coverage than the barely 1000 pro choice vigil before the Dail in November.

It's hard to believe all this is coincidence.

Tawdy

This OP on abortion should at the best be merged with all or any of the abortion threads already out there, or indeed zooed. My preference would be the ZOO!

The Field Marshal

Ireland's National Union of Journalist have an official policy in favour of murdering babies in the womb. Therefor the bulk of Ireland's news and print media are actively co operating now to implement this policy.

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
In last Sunday's Business Post Praveen Halapannavar's solicitor is cited as saying he drip fed stories to media to maximise media exposure (sorry can't give full link to story as its subscription based access). He is cited as saying he *held back* elements of the story.

The Sunday Business Post

Last week Justice Minister Alan Shatter announced a report into the Magdalene laundries next month. This should be done. In fact it should have been done years ago. Which begs the question if this is also being "held back" to coincide with planned abortion legislation?

This week RTE & The Irish Times (which on social issues back Labour and liberal side of FG) suddenly play up a story about rebel priest Father Flannery who is complaining that the Vatican are trying to keep the catholici church catholic. Father Flannery's position has been known for over a year. So why is it being given traction now? Is it a coincidence that a fully fledged abortion debate is under way?

At the same time the huge pro life demonstration on Saturday was downplayed getting far less coverage than the barely 1000 pro choice vigil before the Dail in November.

It's hard to believe all this is coincidence.
Fr. Flannery might have an answer for you - he wrote that investigations into the the physical & sexual torture of children in Catholic institutions were a waste of time and he has his doubts as to how horrendous it is for a child to be buggered by a priest.
[It] would appear to be classified as the worst form of abuse. But can we be sure of that? How does one measure the damage done to a child by one form of neglect or abuse more than another?
Source

The Field Marshal

Fr. Flannery might have an answer for you - he wrote that investigations into the the physical & sexual torture of children in Catholic institutions were a waste of time and he has his doubts as to how horrendous it is for a child to be buggered by a priest.

Source
Murdering a child in the womb is the ultimate act of child abuse.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Ireland's National Union of Journalist have an official policy in favour of murdering babies in the womb. Therefor the bulk of Ireland's news and print media are actively co operating now to implement this policy.
I can see why that would upset you.

Tell me, does it have a position with regard to foetuses in the womb, or does it advocate the murder of babies only?

Big Brother

This OP on abortion should at the best be merged with all or any of the abortion threads already out there, or indeed zooed. My preference would be the ZOO!
This is about whether our media is telling it straight or playing the news agenda to suits what it wants us to think.

It could be on abortion this time. Next time it could be on something you care about and then you mightn't be so dismissive.

Big Brother

But Big Bro', you appear to find it difficult to believe that anything is coincidence!
Well there so seem to be a lot of striking coincidences out there.

There are such things as spin doctors and they are ther to shape news agendas and structure them to push buttons and achieve results.

This is a plain fact.

What I want to discuss is whether this is what is happening on the abortion issue.

The fact that the death of a woman which has been unproven to have aything to do with our abortion laws (other than that she happened to be pregnant) has pushed us to brink of legalising abortion is proof of the power of the media to distort the truth to get what it wants.

The Field Marshal

Tell me, does it have a position with regard to foetuses in the womb, or does it advocate the murder of babies only?
As the murderer plunges his/ her scalpel into the living person in its mothers womb such distinctions as you make above become not just irrelevant but odious and objectionable

I'm amazed at the Irish Times's coverage of the vigil - they didn't, this time, focus in on a couple of very old people with rosary beads. Having said that, the main picture on their website was of some rugby player and not of the huge march (unlike the candle-holding weepers at the Savita Halapanavaar 'vigil').

Miriam Lord has obliged with her raised-eyebrow 'sketch' of the march. Where was her similarly cynical sketch of the Savita 'vigil' at the time?

I can't speak to RTE's coverage, I'm in London. But I can take a wild guess where the emphasis has been...

DaveM

Official policy? Wow. Just when you think TFM couldn't outdo himself in he swoops to raise the bar of paranoid zealoutry once again!

Radix

Hey Dad.

Just because you can't kiss the unborn, doesn't mean they are not babies.

And the media manipulation stuff?

I blame King Herod, up to his old tricks again...

Ryan Tubbs

The Savita story hit the headlines 24 hours before the Expert Group was due to report to the Cabinet.

The details of the doctors evidence to the Inquest reached RTE 24 hours before the Inquest was due to start.

There's no such thing as massive coincidences like this.....

ShoutingIsLeadership

As the murderer plunges his/ her scalpel into the living
person in its mothers womb such distinctions as you make above become not just irrelevant but odious and objectionable
I can see why such treatment of a living person would upset you, but what of an early term foetus?

The Field Marshal

Hey Dad.

Just because you can't kiss the unborn, doesn't mean they are not babies.

Ireland's prime minister in true emulation of the late King Herod will not permit the murder of babies on demand . No, just like the late king it looks possible that the murder of babies in Ireland will be strictly limited by law.

Al Gebra

Well there so seem to be a lot of striking coincidences out there.

There are such things as spin doctors and they are ther to shape news agendas and structure them to push buttons and achieve results.

This is a plain fact.

What I want to discuss is whether this is what is happening on the abortion issue.

The fact that the death of a woman which has been unproven to have aything to do with our abortion laws (other than that she happened to be pregnant) has pushed us to brink of legalising abortion is proof of the power of the media to distort the truth to get what it wants.
The obligation to legislate is not derived from the events surrounding Savita Halappanavar's death but from a Supreme Court ruling, two Referenda, the ECtHR and our system of government (ie. Judges do not legislate). Mrs. Halappanavar's death is another reminder to the government of their obligation to legislate. Governments prefer to put things like that on the back burner due to the divisiveness of such matters and their impact on the votes they may lose.

emulator

I see the zealots are out today.... Is there something going on ?

ShoutingIsLeadership

Hey Dad.

Just because you can't kiss the
unborn, doesn't mean they are not babies.

Hey, eh, son; it was the unformed, rather than the unborn, I was referring to.

Popular Threads

Most Replies