• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Abortion referendum by end of 2017

bactrian

There is a report in the IT

Abortion referendum by end of 2017 realistic, says Zappone

I am only going to take one quote from it (the "she" is Katherine Zappone)

Speaking on Newstalk Breakfast, she said it was “absolutely critical that the people have an opportunity to discuss and debate these issues”.

I am going to make a prediction: The side that refuses to engage in the "debate and discussion" will lose the Referendum vote.

We are all familiar with the usual type of verbal brawls that occur when the topic of "abortion" is raised. The few voices of reason are drowned out by the slavering insanities of the irrational fanatics. Both sides are guilty . It used to be the Hear no "Reason", See no "Reason", Speak no "Reason", brigade of the pro-life side,but, now the pro-choice have adopted the same tactic.

FYI to both sides : You are not helping.

The side that wants to "win" this argument is going to have to stop shouting and start listening and then calmly put their points forward. This is not "war" , this is not "debate" where you score points, this is "discussion" where you use reason.

Gin Soaked

Continuity SPUC will go dirty quickly.

Can't see any improvements in conduct this time out.

And I remember the 8th....

bactrian

Continuity SPUC will go dirty quickly.

Can't see any improvements in conduct this time out.

And I remember the 8th....
While you are mocking "Continuity SPUC" you are exhibiting a mirrored closed mind

It really makes me sad.

The first response to my post ,which was highlighting the uselessness of aggression in this discussion , is an attack on one side. No point made other than "I don't like you"

Last edited:

Half Nelson

We're supposed to have a debate on the rights of the unborn child, when one side won't even acknowledge that a child exists?

How's that supposed to work?

wombat

We're supposed to have a debate on the rights of the unborn child, when one side won't even acknowledge that a child exists?

I don't think its so much that they don't believe a child exists as they believe the woman has the sole choice as to whether it gets born or not.

bactrian

Let's pretend that we don't know what the other side believes. Let's acknowledge that what we "think" the other side believes is not necessarily what they actually believe.

What do you believe Half Nelson

Starting with your base state that an "unborn " is a person:

How do you address

Fatal Fetal abnormality,

Pregnancy Caused by Rape

A pregnant woman who needs medical treatment which will cause the death of the unborn.?

etc

derryman

There can never be too many abortion threads.

Somebody pm me if something original gets said.

Spanner Island

Appealing to the abortion fetishists will yield no results.

So could you not have waited until 2017 or whenever we actually have a date before starting yet another tedious abortion thread..?

FFS... :roll:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I've been hearing the views of the most over-represented minority in Irish affairs via their spokespersons for most of my adult life.

The anti-abortion religious falange have a habit of referring to this particular minority as the 'unborn child'. Personally I prefer to think of them as the 'undocumented'.

Unless of course the state at the urging of some frothy bishop or other has decided to start issuing Conception Certificates.

Someone pm Derryman. Something new has been said.

Mercurial

The current government will be lucky if it makes it to the end of 2017, never mind a referendum on the 8th. I think Zappone is being wildly optimistic.

GDPR

There is a report in the IT

Abortion referendum by end of 2017 realistic, says Zappone

I am only going to take one quote from it (the "she" is Katherine Zappone)

Speaking on Newstalk Breakfast, she said it was “absolutely critical that the people have an opportunity to discuss and debate these issues”.

I am going to make a prediction: The side that refuses to engage in the "debate and discussion" will lose the Referendum vote.

We are all familiar with the usual type of verbal brawls that occur when the topic of "abortion" is raised. The few voices of reason are drowned out by the slavering insanities of the irrational fanatics. Both sides are guilty . It used to be the Hear no "Reason", See no "Reason", Speak no "Reason", brigade of the pro-life side,but, now the pro-choice have adopted the same tactic.

FYI to both sides : You are not helping.

The side that wants to "win" this argument is going to have to stop shouting and start listening and then calmly put their points forward. This is not "war" , this is not "debate" where you score points, this is "discussion" where you use reason.
This is life and or death, not a difficult argument to win when you're dealing with a moral people.

The only question is "are we still a moral people?"

Catalpast

I will be voting NO of course

- however those who want Repeal will need to set out their stall as to what exactly they want it replaced with

If they think the majority of Irish People will be happy with no Constitutional protection for the Unborn

- they are in for a rude awakening......:evil:

GDPR

I will be voting NO of course

- however those who want Repeal will need to set out their stall as to what exactly they want it replaced with

If they think the majority of Irish People will be happy with no Constitutional protection for the Unborn

- they are in for a rude awakening......:evil:
Let us hope they continue to think they can get away with that and walk into a resounding NO.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Well look on the bright side. It means more US dollars for the various cult lobby groups.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
On the other hand we will of course be treated to the sight of an elderly nun putting her vote in the ballot box.

Right up there with the Garda at the island post office as a timeless Irish plebiscitory classic.

Hitchcock

The current government will be lucky if it makes it to the end of 2017, never mind a referendum on the 8th. I think Zappone is being wildly optimistic.
I agree about the government but I think there is an unstoppable momentum for some form of referendum to repeal the 8th and I think it will happen irrespective of the government in place. The issue will be if they try to replace the 8th with all sorts of restrictions.

The only people opposed to a referendum are the anti abortion campaigns in it's different guises and that's because they realise the wind is against them.

Hitchcock

Let us hope they continue to think they can get away with that and walk into a resounding NO.
If the anti abortion/anti choice campaigns really believed that they wouldn't be so against a referendum.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies