Abortion Referendum - Posters, YouTube, leaflets

GDPR

I don't think they believe women with DS can get pregnant, like they're a Barbie Doll "down there". Antichoice barely treat kids with DS as actual people, preferring to use the puppy substitutes as props in ad campaigns and dropping them when they're less cute, but really being clueless about the complex needs of people with DS. They'd have a sh!tfit if they thought adults with DS wanted agency to have sexual relationships.
Anti-repeal is simply using children with DS as the sunny face of their campaign. It never occurs to them that given the extended lifespan of girls with DS, they will also be subject to the same laws regarding the provision of abortion, because they are not supposed to ever become sexual beings.

Nor do the campaigners want to know that girls and women with DS have an increased risk of sexual abuse which may result in pregnancy. That does not fit with the narrative.

Cellachán Chaisil

The same thread on SSM was allowed run without trolling.

file:///C:/Users/Home/Desktop/Same%20Sex%20Marriage%20-%20You%20tube%20campaign%20contributions.html
I'm sorry, you want to be able to post pro-life propaganda without comment?

Give over.

ger12

I'd appreciate if a Mod could take a look at this thread so it would be resoected the way the same thread was during the last referendum on SSM.

That thread is the link below.

Tks.

file:///C:/Users/Home/Desktop/Same%20Sex%20Marriage%20-%20You%20tube%20campaign%20contributions.html
I've reported this post to draw the attention of the Mods.

ger12

Congalltee

Strop strop stropity strop.
There’ll be an equally obnoxious off-topic fundamentalist on the Retain side to be exhibit B, as to why a reasoned abortion debate is impossible.

In fewer than 20 posts, the thread is badly off topic thanks to fundie idiots like yourself.

Supra

That first video calling for Repeal is shocking isn't it? It reminds you of all those movies/cartoons about an Orwellian future where everybody has to think the same etc.
Yes, it 100% negative.

Socratus O' Pericles

It seems only 100% of those who detected DS were terminated. It's not much of a leap to think the other 15% not tested would choose a similar action.
So the poster is only a bit of a lie then, if viewed through a certain prism it could even be true . Also it’s not 100% of those detected either.

Supra

So the poster is only a bit of a lie then, if viewed through a certain prism it could even be true . Also it’s not 100% of those detected either.
It's not a lie.

100% of those diagnosed before birth are aborted. You can't abort after birth therefore the stat is true.

GDPR

I havent looked at the video, but if it is the old canard that 100% of foetuses with DS are aborted in Iceland, that is a straightforward lie.

Iceland actually complained to the US when a programme was broadcast making this absurd claim. In my view, it is because Iceland does not have an Embassy in Ireland, the anti-repeal movement think they can say whatever they like about Icelandish figures.

Supra

I havent looked at the video, but if it is the old canard that 100% of foetuses with DS are aborted in Iceland, that is a straightforward lie.

Iceland actually complained to the US when a programme was broadcast making this absurd claim. In my view, it is because Iceland does not have an Embassy in Ireland, the anti-repeal movement think they can say whatever they like about Icelandish figures.
The link provided states- 100% of those tested positive for DS are aborted. The defense is that only 85% of pregnancies are tested. The remaining 15% are diagnosed after birth.
Not 100% of DS children are aborted in Iceland but 100% diagnosed before birth are.

The poster claims, 100% diagnosed are aborted. This is true as it rightly assumes the exclusion of children that are born as you can not abort after birth.

The_SR

It's not a lie.

100% of those diagnosed before birth are aborted. You can't abort after birth therefore the stat is true.
It's a fundamental and direct lie

Supra

It's a fundamental and direct lie
Then I am missing something from the information provided. If you explain it to me and you are right I will accept it. I don't want to be lied to for or against. I am undecided in this debate.

GDPR

Thanks for that link, Eagle. So, just a plain old lie then.
I hate to say it, but if it comes from anti-repeal, you can save yourself the bother by assuming that they are offering "alternative facts."

ger12

Factchecks below by the journal.ie

Down's syndrome abortion rates
FactCheck: Who got it right in this abortion debate between Ruth Coppinger and Cora Sherlock?
FactCheck: Who got it right in this abortion debate between Ruth Coppinger and Cora Sherlock?

Claim 1: 90% of Down Syndrome diagnoses in England end in termination – Cora Sherlock
Verdict: Mostly TRUE

Claim 2: In England and Wales, 44% of pre-birth Down Syndrome diagnoses end in live birth – Ruth Coppinger
Verdict: Mostly FALSE

Abortion up to full term
FactCheck: Who got it right on "abortion up to birth" - Cora Sherlock or Ivana Bacik?
FactCheck: Who got it right on "abortion up to birth" - Cora Sherlock or Ivana Bacik?

Claim: There are many places in the world where abortion up to birth is legal.
Verdict: TRUE

Pro life leaflet
FactCheck: Does this pro-life leaflet stand up to scrutiny?
FactCheck: Does this pro-life leaflet stand up to scrutiny?

We tested 19 factual claims from the Yes to Life leaflet.

2 were TRUE
4 were TRUE, but required disclaimers or explanations
8 were Mostly TRUE
2 were Half TRUE
1 was Mostly FALSE
0 were FALSE
2 were UNPROVEN

Maternal Deaths
FactCheck: Who's right about Ireland's record on maternal deaths?
FactCheck: Who's right about Ireland's record on maternal deaths?

Claim: Ireland has had a “phenomenal” record on maternal mortality, up to the introduction of abortion legislation in 2013
Verdict: Mostly TRUE

Top Bottom