• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Abortion services for rape victims

Dame_Enda

Abortion services for forcible rape victims

Should a woman who has been forcibly raped be allowed an abortion?

I have struggled with this question. On the one hand it's not the fault of the foetus. On the other hand it's just not right to force a women to carry a rapists child to term.

I personally oppose the X-Case ruling but forcing a 13 yr old who has been raped by her father to carry his child in my opinion is appalling.

Last edited:

FakeViking

Good question, and one that raises dozens of other questions (like the fact that a tiny percentage of rapes are reported, and of that an even tinier fraction resort in convictions). Very few people are infavour of widespread "abortion on demand" but they're happy to export women and girls to the UK so we can pretend we're holier than thou.

Should a woman who has been raped be allowed an abortion?

I have struggled with this question. On the one hand it's not the fault of the foetus. On the other hand it's just not right to force a women to carry a rapists child to term.

I personally oppose the X-Case ruling but forcing a 13 yr old who has been raped by her father to carry his child in my opinion is appalling.
A rape victim presenting herself to the Gardai is offered the MAP under medical supervision.

Fine if you report immediately afterwards.

Not so good if you don't.

Roisin3

Yes, I think rape victims should be allowed to abort. It's a conflicting rights position from my pov. Nature has granted the foetus the right to use of the mother's womb, a natural right, IMO, but a woman has the right to not be raped. Since her right was violated, I believe she has the right to end the pregnancy at her discretion.

Ren84

Absolutely. In fact all women up to 8 weeks of pregnancy should be allowed to avail of non publicly funded termination services in Ireland.

Ulster-Lad

I would not object either. The products of conception should be retained for DNA evidentiary purposes.

IbrahaimMohamad

I would not object either. The products of conception should be retained for DNA evidentiary purposes.
Are you suggesting a Woman should have to report a rape to be entitled to an abortion?

Zerubbabel

Why kill the child ? What crime did they commit ?

It's high time society accepted these children as innocent of any crime.

If necessary, these children can be adopted by the many Irish childless couples only too willing to love and rear them.
There's a huge waiting list in Ireland for couples seeking adoption.

All these people were conceived as a result of a rape, thankfully they were not aborted :

Conceived in Rape Stories,Lawyer,Dr.,Pastor,&more

Layne Beachley, 7 Time World Champion Surfer, Conceived in Rape

Here is the story of an Irish girl who was raped and decided not to have an abortion and adopted out the child :

KATE HOLMQUIST interviewed this young woman and I thought it would be appropriate to include her story. Her stuggles are honest. Her struggles will find a happy ending as opposed to women who struggle with their decision to abort who will not have a child to reunite with once they are healed. Life is always the best choice.

THE RAPE VICTIM WHO RELINQUISHED HER BABY

Four years ago, 27-year-old Toni was raped on a holiday abroad. Having been made pregnant by her rapist, she says she spent a lot of her pregnancy in denial about the consequences, yet at the same time never considered an abortion. “From the second I found out I was pregnant, I knew I was in no position to be a single parent and I would not have considered a termination. I always believed everything happens for a reason. I think the child has a right to live.”

Throughout the pregnancy, “I thought it would go away”, Toni says. When her son was born, “I didn’t want to hold the child”. Through the hospital social worker, she was referred to a voluntary adoption agency, Pact. The agency counseled her about her choices over “three or four” sessions and when Toni made the final decision to give the baby up for adoption, they told her she could have a choice of several families and showed her their profiles. “I wanted nothing to do with it,” she says.

While the agency and the adopting family were offering an open adoption, Toni felt she couldn’t handle it. “In the beginning, I felt I was not able to . . . the first two years were very very hard. I did not want contact.” But eventually she opted for “semi-open” adoption. Twice a year she sends a letter and the birth parents respond with letters and photographs of her three-year-old son.

This is known as “letterbox” adoption. Asking how seeing a photograph of her son makes her feel, Toni is lost for words. He’s the child of her rapist, after all. “At some point, I will want to meet the child, but not for a while,” she says. “The parents will tell when the time is right. It’s their child.”

She believes that giving her son to a couple needing one was a way in which she could turn her own trauma into something good.

Toni isn’t in a relationship now and doesn’t know if she’ll have children in the future. “I’m still young. I travel. It’s not something that fits in to my life right now,” she says.
[video=youtube;eipSl72hsmI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eipSl72hsmI#![/video]

Last edited:

IbrahaimMohamad

Absolutely. In fact all women up to 8 weeks of pregnancy should be allowed to avail of non publicly funded termination services in Ireland.
Why non publically funded?

If a woman was the victim of a hit and run driver would you support her medical teatment being publically funded?

Ren84

Why non publically funded?

If a woman was the victim of a hit and run driver would you support her medical teatment being publically funded?
I would only support publicly funded abortions for those women in medical need of such services. A women making a conscious decision to abort their pregnancy for no other reason than they simply don't want a child should pay for the service IMO.

IbrahaimMohamad

Why kill the child ? What crime did they commit ?

Far better to get society to accept these children as innocent of any crime.

Do you accept the view that in practical terms that a woman may be raped and forcefully impregnated, and forced to carry a child to term?

Last edited:

damus

Next question, how many will be on the committee deciding whether you were raped or not?

Dame_Enda

Next question, how many will be on the committee deciding whether you were raped or not?
Medical evidence might be able to prove it. If the alleged rapist has prior rape convictions that would also point in that direction.

IbrahaimMohamad

In the real world this question might be considered as follows:

(a) Should a woman who is impregnated through rape be allowed to travel to England to get an abortion and kill her child (using State owned ports and roads)?
(b) Should a woman who is impregnated through rape be permitted to have an abortion in Ireland?

Analyzer

It is called "The UK".

damus

Medical evidence might be able to prove it. If the alleged rapist has prior rape convictions that would also point in that direction.
So a panel of experts are to become judge and jury on whether or not you were actually raped. What happens if the panel decide for one reason or another that you weren't raped, would that be admissible by the defendant in a criminal trial? What happens if the woman doesn't report the rape, which many victims don't? Similarly, what happens if there's insufficient forensic evidence? Does that mean that the woman was not raped? What about date rape drugs where the woman may have little or no initial recollection of the rape? I also don't think that you can bring in the perps previous convictions - unfortunately you cannot even do that in a criminal trial.

Ryan Tubbs

Well for me it's pretty simple. Is the "foetus" a person or not. If it is, then clearly it is wrong to grant abortions in such circumstances, no matter how awful it might be.

An obvious problem arises with this which no one ever considers. What exactly would the criteria be for granting a legal abortion on these grounds? A rape conviction? Surely not, but legally a "rape" won't have taken place until the criminal justice system has found it to be so? Or in a case where the perpatrator is unknown, wouldn't there have to be an extensive Garda examination of the girl in question?

These are the obvious questions that arise, as unpalatable as they may be.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies