Abortion - The Male Perspective

Aquilius

There's a lot of talk about Repealing the 8th and how it has affected women's lives in Ireland over the decades. In every argument about abortion we only hear about women's rights or the rights of the unborn, depending on which side you're on.

What about men's rights? What if the father doesn't agree with the mother's decision to abort the pregnancy...

I'm not suggesting that a woman should be forced to continue with a pregnancy based on the fact the father of the child wishes to see the fetus brought to birth.

All things being equal, a father should be able to relinquish his rights to a child and therefore not pursued for maintenance from the mother.

Why should women get to choose whether or not they want a child, while men must continue to pay maintenance, etc. for children they've never wanted and play no active role in the child's life.

GDPR

A lot of sleazy savage men find abortion an incredible blessing especially in these days of paternity testing.

Disillusioned democrat

A lot of sleazy savage find abortion an incredible blessing especially in these days of paternity testing.
To be fair, the OP is one of the biggest flaws with the Repeal the 8th campaigners...if I hear someone say yet again it's a woman's referendum I'll scream.

So surely by the same right as any lady who decides she wants an abortion any male who doesn't want kids should be able to insist on the lady having an abortion - otherwise it's not equality.

Clanrickard

There's a lot of talk about Repealing the 8th and how it has affected women's lives in Ireland over the decades. In every argument about abortion we only hear about women's rights or the rights of the unborn, depending on which side you're on.

What about men's rights? What if the father doesn't agree with the mother's decision to abort the pregnancy...

I'm not suggesting that a woman should be forced to continue with a pregnancy based on the fact the father of the child wishes to see the fetus brought to birth.

All things being equal, a father should be able to relinquish his rights to a child and therefore not pursued for maintenance from the mother.

Why should women get to choose whether or not they want a child, while men must continue to pay maintenance, etc. for children they've never wanted and play no active role in the child's life.
Father's rights are not a priority for the equality ayatollahs. It is shocking how little men care about the issue until it hits them between the two eyes.

Lord Talbot

"What about us" says a man, blissfully unaware that Ireland is probably the most paternalistic, male dominated society in Western Europe.

May just cannot come soon enough.

GDPR

"What about us" says a man, blissfully unaware that Ireland is probably the most paternalistic, male dominated society in Western Europe.

This is crazy- outside the Prods Patriarchy as such doesn't exist in indigenous Ireland.

Aquilius

To be fair, the OP is one of the biggest flaws with the Repeal the 8th campaigners...if I hear someone say yet again it's a woman's referendum I'll scream.

So surely by the same right as any lady who decides she wants an abortion any male who doesn't want kids should be able to insist on the lady having an abortion - otherwise it's not equality.
1. I'm not a campaigner
2. I've not actually suggested its a women's rights issue - that is what it is made out to be. I do believe abortion is a men's rights issue also, hence why I started the thread.
3. I don't believe men should be able to force a woman to abort a child. I do however believe men who don't want a child should be able to relinquish all rights to it, therefore not being able to be pursued by the mother for financial or other resources in helping to raise the child.

What I suggest would be an abortion of responsibility - not life, in the case of men.

Cellachán Chaisil

Men's rights are not affected.

That is simply it.

Abortion is not about rights conferred through paternity/maternity, but the right for everyone to be able to decide what happens to their body.

CatullusV

Back in the day, the male reaction was often "Will you bring back 200 duty-free?".

brigg

If technology eventually made abortion unnecessary, for instance a foetus could be removed from a woman and put into an artificial womb... then people would inevitably look back in horror at the barbaric times we live in now.
Perhaps willing males will be able to carry the burden of pregnancy instead of women.

Clanrickard

Your are some clown.

Aquilius

That is simply it.

Abortion is not about rights conferred through paternity/maternity, but the right for everyone to be able to decide what happens to their body.
But it is a maternity issue, to suggest its not is stupid.

Everyone? Men can't decide what happens as they can't get pregnant, so that should read 'women to decide what happens to their body'.

Clanrickard

That is simply it.

Another witless comment. Go back to school and learn some biology.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Father's rights are not a priority for the equality ayatollahs. It is shocking how little men care about the issue until it hits them between the two eyes.
Unless you're mentally challenged, as a man, you know that you might impregnate your partner and that she has control over her own body. She might choose to keep or otherwise.

Rubber up, or don't be riding women that you don't trust.

Disillusioned democrat

One of the BIGGEST surprises out there is going to be the rape card.

So you can get an abortion within 12 week with no reason , but if you want one after that you need to cry foul....it's not unimaginable that a couple splits up after the lady is pregnant for 13 weeks, so she's one of two choices....have a baby as a single parent OR claim she was raped by the man.

CatullusV

The OP seems to be advocating that male should have the right to blackmail the female by dint of financial considerations. Pretty disgusting stuff.

New Threads

Most Replies